stupid question of the day

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Ok, here goes.
We have 4 ponedora's, Rhode Island Reds. They lay brown eggs.
My question is: After I boil them & they cool down the shells are so difficult to pull off. I do start them in cold water and give them about 6 minutes to boil, then run under cold water. I am wondering... why do they stick so much? Is there a trick in this process I am not doing? Are they too fresh?
Any help would be appreciated.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was told by a farmer once that really fresh eggs are hard to peel when boiled.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Thanks Annac, this is what I thought. However, some eggs are maybe a week (tops) old.
Could vinegar or some other product help in this? Salt perhaps?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Just let them sit in the cold water a little. Cool down a little. Then, take the back of a teaspoon to peel them if hardboiled. Try a little salt in the boiling water.

Are these DR1 chickens? ;)

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
as eggs age, they lose acidity so the membrane sticks to the shell and not the egg white. vinegar or salt hardens liquid egg white in a cracked egg when boiling, but won't help in the peeling process.

try cracking the shells and then let them sit in the cold water bath for an hour or so before peeling, it might make a difference.

:classic: mob

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Thanks mob, I'll try that although an hour is a long time, maybe put them in the freezer for a bit?
Chris, there are no DR1 markings on our chickens but that may not be a bad idea for free publicity/ advertising! :cool:
Seriously what is the difference between a DR chicken and a DR! chicken?

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
lol reese

Thanks mob, I'll try that although an hour is a long time, maybe put them in the freezer for a bit?
Chris, there are no DR1 markings on our chickens but that may not be a bad idea for free publicity/ advertising! :cool:
Seriously what is the difference between a DR chicken and a DR! chicken?

Chris said a "DR1 chicken" :cheeky:

here I googled it 4 u go here

Boiling Eggs and Why are some hard boiled eggs hard to peel?

good luck. it basically tells all and says to put eggs in fridge for a few days before boiling.

Last edited:

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Thanks leekiv, I'll check it out> never realised that getting these eggs to perfection was going to be such effort. So much for instant gratification!
Next time I make and serve a salad with boiled eggs I will prep waayyy in advance :cheeky:

Sorry about the DR!
I meant DR1 ! Does this mean I get points taken away??? LOL

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I was told by a farmer once that really fresh eggs are hard to peel when boiled.

AnnaC: The reason for super fresh (straight from the chicken) eggs being harder to boil is that the air sac that forms over time as an egg sits or incubates is VERY small at first (and this is what helps loosen the shell). We had chickens and guineas in the US and incubated lots of eggs. One can follow the progress of an egg sac (and the embryo) by "candling" the egg which gives an almost ultrasound-like view.

On the flip side if TOO long has gone by, then too much moisture has escaped and the membrane will be tough. This is one reason that if one is collecting eggs to incubate, usually they need to be stored in cool temps with a wet cloth over the storage tray and they can only be stored for about 2 weeks--mas o menos. Then they can all be put in an incubator (or under a broody hen) at the same time. I always dated my eggs so I could follow the progress (we partly did this as a homeschooling project.)

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
All great advice.
Thanks for the link leekiv and the points :surprised

Still wondering what a DR1 chicken is....

Caz

May 15, 2004
Hardboiled eggs the world over are the same - to peel them easily, boil them, pour off the hot water, cover with cold water and crush the shells gently to let the cold water permeate between the shell and the egg. Leave them to sit in the cold water for a while and then shell easily. Nothing more complicated is needed believe me!!!!

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I was just making sure that your eggs were difficult to peel here in the DR and not perhaps somewhere else. I would hate to get involved in how to peel eggs in another part of the world, seeing this is a DR board.

Not sure how to respond to this.....without having some of my points "zapped"...... again.

Yes, the eggs do get peeled in the DR.
Living forum:
Hundreds who live in the DR contribute their insight. Questions welcomed from those who have been here for years and from newcomers.

I am honored to have my questions posted and then receive feedback. In fact, I am privileged to be a part of this community board and have met so many wonderful people through this medium.

Back to this original thread...since getting these chickens (4) I had to brush a little paint (non-toxic) on the back of there necks to see which one was laying what. Some eggs are large and some are small. This was done to distinguish who was doing what and which one was not laying at all. So, I have a red-neck (no pun intended), a blue-neck and a white-neck, there is one that is not marked. These are the colors of "DR1", is this not true? There's your free publicity.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think you need to try a whole new approach...
A relaxed chicken will lay good eggs.

cartoon003.jpg

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Great toon!
Your a wizard Rocky!
Not only can I have relaxed chickens, but I can have hard-boiled eggs at the same time.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
HaHaHa

Great toon!
Your a wizard Rocky!
Not only can I have relaxed chickens, but I can have hard-boiled eggs at the same time.

Leave it to Rocky to "kill 2 birds with one stone" lol Rocky you truly are Nut's. :cheeky:Don't ever change.