Hounds require loving home!!

Altrac

Mar 20, 2008
A change of our personal circumstances means we have to find loving homes for our 2 wonderful dogs (male and female). They were rescued by us initially, after having been starved and beaten, and have had all the necessary vacinations etc.... and they are now in the peak of health/fitness.
Very loving animals with strong characters. They are aged around 5 - 7 years old, love people, are obedient and well mannered. Whilst they are 'pets' rather than guard dogs, and this shows in their faces, one is a Rottweiller 100lbs, and his sister is a cross -collie mixture of beauty. Be assured that they would not let anyone enter a property, without being announced first.
These dogs will only be released to a loving, caring future owner - of which you are out there somewhere reading this thread.
If you have a large property, with grounds, together with a belief that animals should be loved and cared for, please reply. They will both provide you with unconditional love and pleasure - coupled with protection and peace of mind we are all seeking. Thank you. ;)

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Hi Altrac we are very interested.
We have plenty of land and other animals here.
We really need another female to be companion to our female, our oldest passed on about 4 months ago.
How are they around children? Do they get along with other dog's?
We are basically looking for just a female but are also flexible because these two are family and splitting them up would not be healthful for them, especially with there past and I am sure they are well bonded.
Also I am wondering how well they would cope in a totally new environment considering the ages.

Altrac

Mar 20, 2008
Hi there Reese in Va,

Thanks for your speedy response and caring words for our pets. You are right, they are a family, and we would not want to break their bond which has formed.
We are uncertain how they would be around other dogs. The only dogs we have experienced with them, are the street dogs, who tend to be either somewhat agressive, or over excited to see our dogs out on the leash with 2 gringos walking alongside them!!

In time, I would imagine new friendships would form. On your territory, as opposed to 'street' territory, I believe both animals would be less 'posessive' and more 'defensive' towards the new environment. Holly, I think, would be the one to watch, with integrating with the other animals. She was a street dog, through and through, and still has the survival of the fittest attitude - although she is now lots better as she is being fed and watered and does not have to fight for survival anymore.
How many animals do you have there?

As for children, she would be fine. No problem. All she wants is to be loved and then some...!! He would want to play... and sometimes with a big dog that can be a little intimidating (as you probably know already) but we believe he would not harm a child in any way - he's just a bit boisterous and clumsy !!! In a funny way - ha ha ..
Where abouts are you in the DR??

As for them adjusting to a new environment - as long as there is care and attention and love around, they would cope extremely well. Hope this helps for now.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
We have a doberman (F) , bulldog (M)and a Dominican mutt (M).
The Dominican mutt was saved from our place in Sosua and has been on our farm (in POP) for 6 months now. He is young and dumb, but a lot of fun. We think he was beaten before he wandered into our lives in Sosua, he stayed there for about 4 months guarding our home, as we were selling it. Our gardener looked after him.
So, we have a schedule for the dogs because our bulldog and the mutt go at it. There is a large rear terrace that we put our bulldog in the mornings, which he prefers to be out of the sun. The mutt (goofy, aka: kermit the dog, aka: tonto) has rein until lunchtime and then he gets tied up. Goofy has his own house/ private little paradise and lives real comfortable. Then we open the gate so our bulldog can go out, 9 times out of 10 he would just prefer to stay right where he is at and continue his snoozing.
Our female doberman loves all and is loved by all. We have never had a problem with her getting along with anyone.
We would love to have a rottweiler to round out the mix and have been keeping an eye out ever since we lost our oldest but gracious.
Another thing I must mention is that we have horses here, but our experience has been that most dogs don't mess with the horses. There much bigger and more intimidating.
Also, there are a couple of chickens here and they have there own "coop" so there not a problem. All our dogs will kill a chicken if one comes into our finca, so there well protected.
I'm wondering what a cross collie looks like. Any pics? Also where are you located?
PM is fine.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am reading this thread and so hope you both can work this out with these dogs. Am sure you are sad Altraca that you have to leave them behind when you leave and know from previous discussions that reese in va is genuine in seeking additional dogs and knows the score... I wish you both well and would love to know if you manage to sort something out.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
whirleybird, thanks for the sincere comment. We do love all animals and there is much freedom/ space up here in the hills. Not sure if this will be a perfect fit at the moment, but am keeping spirits up. Looking forward to visit Altrac soon and if this is a good match the dogs will certainly be loved and have a wonderful time at our farm. This doesn't mean to say that we are the best option for the dogs, there could be someone out there that doesn't have any dogs and is desperate in finding his/ her companion/s. Keeping this thread open will give these dogs the best available option.

Mar 2, 2008
I know Altrac, and I love those dogs. I wish I had a way to become the parent of those two beautiful dogs. I fell in love with them the first time I saw them. It breaks my heart that I just can't take them in now. In a year I will be there and would be overjoyed to have them, but timing is everything.
Altrac, please say goodbye to those lovely dogs for me. I will miss them terribly.
By the way, I'll also miss Altrac, but no where near as much.
Sincerely, A-6

BigImp

Feb 26, 2008
I have lived beside these two wonderful dogs for 3 months each of the last 3 years and they are exactly as Altrac stated. What their owners have accomplished with these animals is simply increadible !! They are in beautiful condition both physically and mentally and absolutely are great around people of all ages. They would make excellent companions for anyone who loves dogs and has the space. My wife and I love both dogs and their very special owners -- and will miss the 4 of them incredibly.

Altrac

Mar 20, 2008
I am reading this thread and so hope you both can work this out with these dogs. Am sure you are sad Altraca that you have to leave them behind when you leave and know from previous discussions that reese in va is genuine in seeking additional dogs and knows the score... I wish you both well and would love to know if you manage to sort something out.

Thanks Whirleybird,

We appreicate your comments. We are sad, but equally excited about meeting reese in va, as their situation sounds perfect for our animals. I will certainly inform you of the outcome of our meeting, and keep your fingers crossed for all parties concerned here !!!!:cheeky:

Altrac

Mar 20, 2008
Hey there catcherintherye,

Great words, and we surely know your own personal love of animals..... both hounds send their very best regards to you, and they will miss the love you have shown them on your visits !!

Big kiss for Sammi ...... from Holly ......... Thanks to you for being a great neighbour and friend. Keep up the good work back there, and safe travels when you return in the DR. Miss you too bro' x x x (not from me.....!!)

Altrac

Mar 20, 2008
I have lived beside these two wonderful dogs for 3 months each of the last 3 years and they are exactly as Altrac stated. What their owners have accomplished with these animals is simply increadible !! They are in beautiful condition both physically and mentally and absolutely are great around people of all ages. They would make excellent companions for anyone who loves dogs and has the space. My wife and I love both dogs and their very special owners -- and will miss the 4 of them incredibly.

BigImp,

Such kind words, from such a very kind man. :eek:
The both of you feel more like family, than friends, and we will miss the times sharing ideas and a bottle of rum together:pirate:

You will be the first to know of the outcome of our meeting with reese in va next week, and here's hoping that there is a happy ending to this very sad time for us personally.

We need another bonding session, prior to our departure, with some old aged medicine and a bucket of ice Big-Boy - sorry, I mean BigImp...ha ha....

Seriously, and big thanks for the words once again, and as you know the hounds personally, I can only confirm that what you have said, is all completely factual. Cheers......!!!!!!!

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Update for hounds require loving home

Just to let readers, friends and other interested parties know the current status of these 2 hounds, since there has been more topics of poochies on this forum.
First of all, I would like to mention that the owners of these hounds are so incredibly sweet, caring and all around amazing human beings. They are a prime example of what this world needs more of, to ensure a peaceful, loving and harmonic existence here on earth. My wife and I are so grateful to have met this lovely couple and to assist them during this period of transistion.
It is further apparent of how well natured and loving this couple is by the character and being of these two hounds. To rescue, nurture and provide all the love and support, so desperately needed for abused and neglected animals, shows true heart.
The poochies are so well mannered. They are full of life and happiness eminates from them. They are extremely healthy and in great shape, plus or minus a few pounds :)
There is enough land here for them to run and thats what they do...run, run, run, run, run. Aside from the exploring of new territory, the female collie mix just loves water and one can find her bathing, jumping, swimming, diving and over all just splashing around and having a good time cooling off.
The male rottweiler could care less about the swimming holes, he would much rather prefer to chase horses, which we are trying to explain to him that they are family too. Otherwise, one would find him sprawled out, lounging in the shade.
Our three other poochies are slowly being introduced with care and so far things have been ok. It's not time yet to let them all out and peruse the land, but we are very hopeful that one day soon they will all be a pack with no territorial disputes and be brothers and sisters.

SANY0517.jpg

SANY0524.jpg

These two are so active it is tough to get a shot. This is the best I can do for now......sorry... these guys deserve a better photographer with a better camera.

In closing, I wish the very best for the two owners of these beautiful dogs in there new travels. They know they are welcome here anytime and both my wife and I look forward to a long, continuing relationship with them.

Mar 2, 2008
Reese, if it is not too much of a bother, I would like to visit my two ex-neighbors at some point when they are better adjusted.
As I said in a previous post, I love those dogs, and you are not only very kind for taking them in, but also very lucky to have them.
I'll be in Sosua for the month of July. Please let me know if it would be possible to see them sometime. Thank you.

Altrac

Mar 20, 2008
Hey Reese,
You know that our tears of sadness in leaving the hounds with you, were completely dried by the fact that you both provided the ideal home for them. The care and attention you are showing them, surpassed our wildest expectations. They could not wish for a more loving and fun environment to be enjoying the rest of their days.
A great big 'Thank You' once more, does not even come close to expressing our feelings for you both. We will definitely keep the contact over the coming years to follow both the hounds progress, together with you and your family - whom we consider true, honest and beautiful people.
As for Catcherintherye - you would simply love the aura that this person has. They are true animal lovers, big-hearted and completely 'on a par' with everything we share and have spoken about. (Also a big Eric Clapton fan aswell......!!!!)
If you get the opportunity to meet - I know for sure you will hit it off straight away:
Whirelybird - hope you pick up on this thread too. I know you were interested in the result of all this - and again thanks for your support.
BigImp - Big love as always, and ready to see you again very soon now.
Rio2003 - Thanks for following this and your comments.
Reese_in_va - the biggest THANKS of all, once again. I'm still trying to get to grips with the 'caged' system !!!!
Lots of love guys........ x x x

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Kind words Altrac and please keep up with the acoustic playing. "Caged" can be simply looked at on the net with a search, it's a well known concept in the guitar world. Happy pickin'
Catherintherye...sent you a PM