casa en el campo

Jadde32

Mar 10, 2008
for how much do you think? I was thinking of somewhere in Contanza,jarabacoa, but in the campo, rural? why is it so cheap is it atleast made out of block?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
$10,000 USD can get you a nice sized home in the campos yes, i am familiar with the campos in San Cristobal: Najayo, Yaguate, La Loma and you can get yourself a nice piece of land and build from the ground up [block walls and tin roof] for a little under that amount. 3 BR 2 car garage, not a bad deal...i am looking to build myself soon! peace and quiet...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
$10,000 USD can get you a nice sized home in the campos yes, i am familiar with the campos in San Cristobal: Najayo, Yaguate, La Loma and you can get yourself a nice piece of land and build from the ground up [block walls and tin roof] for a little under that amount. 3 BR 2 car garage, not a bad deal...i am looking to build myself soon! peace and quiet...
Are you kidding?
$10k US to buy the land and build a 3 BR, 2 car garage house out of block?
Am I in the twilight Zone?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Are you kidding?
$10k US to buy the land and build a 3 BR, 2 car garage house out of block?
Am I in the twilight Zone?

no my friend, i am serious as can be....campos of najayo a small solar and all the supplies you need, pretty basic construction, nothing elaborate. if i remember correctly the expensive cost of building a home was the 'fee' charged by the architect and cost of labor. other than that the rest was cheap. if this is the twilight zone then i must be in there too! LOL - J

A

apostropheman

In a barrio I was visiting I saw many houses for sale. Most were smaller, probably 2 or maybe 3 small bedroom, some with a carport. They all had a concrete roof, not tin, and the gringo price given to me was about 300,000 pesos.

These were houses down muddy, dirt roads not on the main road. It wouldn't be where I would choose to live. Properties on the main road main command a much higher price, as they should.

When I asked about building my own the price was a bit higher as the price of land was not included. Also I suspect that they anticipated that a gringo would want to plan things differently, and that gringos often want more, and more expensive, stuff than the bare basics seen in most barrio houses. In my limited experience anyway.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
no my friend, i am serious as can be....campos of najayo a small solar and all the supplies you need, pretty basic construction, nothing elaborate. if i remember correctly the expensive cost of building a home was the 'fee' charged by the architect and cost of labor. other than that the rest was cheap. if this is the twilight zone then i must be in there too! LOL - J
Heck of a deal.
I knew they were cheap, but didn't know they were that cheap.
You can barely buy a decent used car for that price.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Agreed

In a barrio I was visiting I saw many houses for sale. Most were smaller, probably 2 or maybe 3 small bedroom, some with a carport. They all had a concrete roof, not tin, and the gringo price given to me was about 300,000 pesos.

When I asked about building my own the price was a bit higher as the price of land was not included. Also I suspect that they anticipated that a gringo would want to plan things differently, and that gringos often want more, and more expensive, stuff than the bare basics seen in most barrio houses. In my limited experience anyway.

i agree, not to offend anyone, but i do believe they quote higher prices to non natives...LOL I am Ecuadorian and am married to a Dominican from the campos of Najayo. She has family building there right now and I kid you not that material alone was about $200,000 RD. They got a lot of help from family and locals to help build the house to save some on labor costs....but all in all this house should be at or around the $300,000 RD. all cinder block, typical tile nothing fancy and a tin roof. Even I am shocked! I am thinking about building on TOP of that house and have a place of my own there! I have no idea what that would cost me but I would gladly spend $10k USD for a nice sized 2nd floor on a nice piece of land in the campo! :squareeye

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
i agree, not to offend anyone, but i do believe they quote higher prices to non natives...LOL I am Ecuadorian and am married to a Dominican from the campos of Najayo. She has family building there right now and I kid you not that material alone was about $200,000 RD. They got a lot of help from family and locals to help build the house to save some on labor costs....but all in all this house should be at or around the $300,000 RD. all cinder block, typical tile nothing fancy and a tin roof. Even I am shocked! I am thinking about building on TOP of that house and have a place of my own there! I have no idea what that would cost me but I would gladly spend $10k USD for a nice sized 2nd floor on a nice piece of land in the campo! :squareeye

This is it in a nutshell, RD200k for the materials and RD100k something for the labor. Don't think anybody else can do it for that price. Also, I sincerely question the completeness of the planned construction. This I base on having a two story home and a very small wharehouse building priced out in the last two months by one of my good Dominican friends. End result, US10k won't get anybody a whole lot on this islnnd, other than a concrete wall, floors and a zinc roof, with plenty of mosquitos and no public water or sewer(nor maybe power too boot).

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Agreed

These were houses down muddy, dirt roads not on the main road. It wouldn't be where I would choose to live. Properties on the main road main command a much higher price, as they should.

interesting point you bring up! the roads werent dirt as per say in this campo but they arent the greatest. i will give you that. i did do some research while there and agree with you that homes or properties in a nicer area i.e. Yaguate where there are more roads, streets, stores do cost more. homes there are running in the $50k area i believe....im not too sure. i will be back there in the summer and am looking to see where would be a nice place to get a home. then again properties in these small towns dont come with a nice sized piece of land like the campos! :ermm:

A

apostropheman

I was only in a barrio, not really in el campo. Just a couple of roads off the main street and it was gravel at best.

My biggest issue with living in the campo is security. In the barrio it seems easier. Bars, big dog, shotgun :)

In the country isolation is a big security problem....or so I imagine.
even though that is why a lot of people think they want to move there.
interesting point you bring up! the roads werent dirt as per say in this campo but they arent the greatest. i will give you that. i did do some research while there and agree with you that homes or properties in a nicer area i.e. Yaguate where there are more roads, streets, stores do cost more. homes there are running in the $50k area i believe....im not too sure. i will be back there in the summer and am looking to see where would be a nice place to get a home. then again properties in these small towns dont come with a nice sized piece of land like the campos! :ermm:

Jadde32

Mar 10, 2008
Do these cheap 300,000 pesos houses have running water? Oh by the way people dont need to worry about security in the campos! lol..people sleep with their doors opened there..what are people gonna steal? chickens? If youre gonna buy a house in the campo its best to start getting used to a simple life.

A

apostropheman

The houses in the Barrio have regular plumbing with running water. No heater though, except for the Sun heating the tinaco :).

I know people and have read of others, gringos, with homes in the campo that have been robbed at gunpoint despite security measures.

Leaving your doors open, especially as a gringo, is a sure way to get robbed and possibly killed IMO.

Even if you have nothing to take people will assume that you do and will try and get it.
Do these cheap 300,000 pesos houses have running water? Oh by the way people dont need to worry about security in the campos! lol..people sleep with their doors opened there..what are people gonna steal? chickens? If youre gonna buy a house in the campo its best to start getting used to a simple life.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Living in the Campo

...I know people and have read of others, gringos, with homes in the campo that have been robbed at gunpoint despite security measures.

If you live in rural village you are relatively safe, your neighbours would give you some protection. It's very unlikely that you'd be threatened with a gun.
People know the local thieves and will warn you accordingly.
Of course if your house is left alone anything can happen and nobody will feel responsible...

If you live in a rural area in a remote place (finca, house in the hills) things are different and your place can become the aim of a planned house invasion.
The attackers need not be local criminals but would have links to people near you.
There, leaving your house alone would almost always lead to a break in and there are hardly any security measures which could prevent that.

m'frog

Jadde32

Mar 10, 2008
I am not a gringa I was born in Dominican Republic but raised in the USA and know perfect Spanish...I don't even plan to have electronics or have anything of value in my house....so If I were to buy a house in the campo will my life be in danger?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am not a gringa I was born in Dominican Republic but raised in the USA and know perfect Spanish...I don't even plan to have electronics or have anything of value in my house....so If I were to buy a house in the campo will my life be in danger?

Your life would be in no more in danger than if you bought a house in the Bronx. Make friends with your neighbors and you will be fine.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Your life would be in no more in danger than if you bought a house in the Bronx. Make friends with your neighbors and you will be fine.
Words of wisdom to live by.
Be a true friend to your neighbour and he will be your true friend too.
Dominicans are a passionate people, and putting aside the few rare exceptions who might be rotten to the core, a true Dominican friend will stand by your side more than one might expect.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'd like to thank you Jalencastro for your courteous elaborate accurate replies.
It has been quite enlightening and is useful info for both the OP and other DR1ers.
A special thanks to the others who corroborated the info and made a believer out of me.
I do recognize that we are not talking about a fancy house and it would surely cost me double, for wanting some features that would make it homier for me, but it's still a heck of a deal, even at double the price.