How Many Dollors Needed To Live In Dom Rep?

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Dominican Republic....
3rd World Country.....
Yet... It seems you need more money to live here than in the U.S.A or Europe.

I'm not convinced.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
To live to North American standards... probably more.
In my opinion, the last 5 years has pretty much done away with ability to maintain the standards you're probably used to at home on a smaller budget than back home... but it's still worth the price, I think.

note: horrible sentence structure - so bad that i don't have the energy to repair it

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There has been a stack of threads just lately about cost of living in the DR. Let's consider the others ones before we start a new one. Seems to me that nothing new is being said here?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
In country side you can live cheap - $600-800US a month per person if not less.

Just by all means avoid as much as possible those brutally overpriced tourist (and baby-boomers) traps like Santo Domingo, Sosua, Cabarete and Punta Cana where even a very basic lunch for two in Baley`s for instance will cost you $30US or more. (No bad feeling about Baleys, just an example of unbelievably inflated Sosua prices oriented on dummies with back packs).

Here you`ll need $3000 a month per person just to barely survive.

So again, all depends on "location, location, location" ( Juan P.)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I plan on surviving quite well in Jarabacoa on around $3500 per month. I suspect I'll have money at the end of each month because I have such a frugal/practical wife. I of course have the advantage of a Dominican wife with many connection in this small city, land that can grow a crop or two, country cousins with farms...etc. If you party and eat out alot this will eat your money. I don't need airconditioning but will have a planta and desiel is expensive. If you like and eat the local food with the occasional spurge on a good steak...etc and own your own house I'm sure $2000 is enough. Most Dominicans other than politician and druglords live on far less and do more than survive.

Sharky

Feb 28, 2008
I guess it's all relative to the way you live, because I live in Santo Domingo, nice apartement, meets north American Standard and if i'm careful won't spend more than$30,000 pesos a month. But I cook at home most of the time, careful with gaz expence for my car, but still help my dominican girlfriend with money since she's in school right now.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dominican Republic....
3rd World Country.....
Yet... It seems you need more money to live here than in the U.S.A or Europe.

I'm not convinced.

This has been discussed relatively recently at length. If you are willing to live like the Dominicans and eat what they do, it can be done relatively easily for RD30,000 a month. However, don't expect the living accomodations to be that nice - no screens and certainly no ac. To rent a decent home you will need at least RD9-12k a month and more than likely will need some upgrades, like screens and a good inverter, to make it more liveable. All in all, I believe most people here feel $3000 a month is the minimum with somebody with a family, maybe less if they have no kids.

I make considerably more and honestly don't have a lot left over every month when it is all said and done. Part of the problem is the amount of intial investment of making the move and bringing personal items or buying new stuff here, like appliances and furniture. If you have some funds set aside for that, it will certainly be much more possibly to live on a lower income.