cell phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gold83wing

Feb 1, 2008
We will be in Sosua in august for our annual trip. our cell from canada seems to work fine for calling and receiving calls from canada, but seems to have problems calling local cell phones in the DR., any suggestions?? or where to get a cheap phone for a couple of weeks while we are there, to use locally.

Music Factory

Feb 9, 2008
www.mufain.com
What kind of Cell Phone you do have ? CDMA or GSM ? Your phone is working over here at roaming,if you do have such service. If you would call a local number you need to dial 1-809.... or 1-829... and of course Roaming it quiete expensive too. If you do have a GSM phone... and it's unlocked, you can buy over here at Claro (RD$290), or Orange (RD$300-350-> not quiete sure) a Sim Card. And even get a airtime of RD$100 include.
The cheapest phone to by at Claro is a Motorola C122 (GSM) for RD$695. Any questions.. just ask..

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Hi Music Factory,
You said any questions..just ask... As you seem very knowledgeable - I am in the UK and have two cell phones that I dont use anymore, one Nokia and one Motorola, both unlocked. Does the same apply - that I can buy SIM cards over in POP and give them to my Dominican friends to use in full working order?

Music Factory

Feb 9, 2008
www.mufain.com
Hi rio2003,
if they are TRI-Band phones.... yes.... if they are Dual-Band... they won't work over here !...
If you don't know.. just let me know the model... and I'll let you know.
If they are Tri-Band, it would be better that your dominican friends are buying the Sim Cards over here... so that they and the issued Phone number will be in their name !!

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Ditch your canadian phone unless it is unlocked.Go over to the Orange store and for RD$590 you will get a new phone activated with 300 pesos in free minutes.
Best deal around the phone is cheap but works well and you can call back to canada.
hifiman

Music Factory

Feb 9, 2008
www.mufain.com
you will get RD$ 100 on Calling Card Airtime, even at a new Claro or Orange Sim Card / or a new prepaid Claro or Orange Phone.
You are getting RD$ 300 on Calling Card Airtime, when you do activate a CDMA phone at Claro.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
I have an unlocked Nokia 6030-b. Will that work in the DR?

Also, how does calling the US differ to making local calls in the DR? I mean, do you use up your cell minutes faster?

Last edited:

eduardo99

Aug 21, 2007
I am coming down to Sosua in a month or so. I have an unlocked CDMA LG-M535. Will that work? Should i take it to Claro or Orange?

Thank you!

Music Factory

Feb 9, 2008
www.mufain.com
ok first answering eduardo99...
a CDMA phone will work ONLY at Claro, Tricom or Centennial.
Orange works only with the GSM and Claro works with bothe (CDMA and GSM).

Music Factory

Feb 9, 2008
www.mufain.com
To eduardo99...
but I think your LG-M535 is a GSM phone... so you can buy here a Sim card at Claro or Orange. The prices are almost the same.. for local calls orange is a bit cheaper..
international calls... just ask and I give you the prices... The coverarge of both are good... but most coverage area countrywide provides Claro.
And both: Claro and Orange will be charging you per second... so you don't pay for a 1:05 minutes call... 2 minutes on airtime... you pay actually 1 minute and 5 seconds.

Music Factory

Feb 9, 2008
www.mufain.com
to FerneeBee:
the nokia 6030b is a GSM dual band phone.
So question is... where are you living ? Europe or US ?
It works in Europe under 900 and 1800 Mhz. and the US modell works under 850 and 1900 Mhz...
if you do have the US model, live in the US.. this phone will work over here..
About the minutes.... at Claro you are paying almost the same for local calls: RD$ 0.10 a second to same provider and 0.14 to other countrywide providers.
International calls like to the US are cost aroudn 8,40 RD$ the minute. !!!
And at Claro and Orange there are free unlimited incomming calls !!!!
Any questions... ask

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
to FerneeBee:
the nokia 6030b is a GSM dual band phone.
So question is... where are you living ? Europe or US ?
It works in Europe under 900 and 1800 Mhz. and the US modell works under 850 and 1900 Mhz...
if you do have the US model, live in the US.. this phone will work over here..
About the minutes.... at Claro you are paying almost the same for local calls: RD$ 0.10 a second to same provider and 0.14 to other countrywide providers.
International calls like to the US are cost aroudn 8,40 RD$ the minute. !!!
And at Claro and Orange there are free unlimited incomming calls !!!!
Any questions... ask
Thanks for the information!

My Nokia 6030b is the US model, and I live in the US, so it should work in the DR. :glasses:

eduardo99

Aug 21, 2007
Thank you for the info Music factory. I have sprint service in the US so i just assumed i was CDMA. Is there a way for me to check to see which one i have? Also, is your definition of unlocked just a phone that currently doesn't have a plan? I got a different phone recently and just have this LG M535 sitting around. Thank you for the help

Music Factory

Feb 9, 2008
www.mufain.com
yes sprint is working with CDMA phones... but if you arn't sure.. just take off your battery and you will see if there s any sim card inside loacted..
But I can bet... there will be NO ONE.
A unlocked phone is a GSM (phone with sim card) whith doesn't have any restrictings... meaning for exaple.. if you buy a T Mobile, or AT&T phone.. they work with Sim Card.. and they are locked... meaning they will take ONLY a Sim card from their provider.. A unlocked phone doesn't have any restrictions... meaning it will take ANY Sim Card...
A Phone without having a plan is a Prepaid Phone, a Pay As You Go Phone (known in the US especially for Ex Cingular and now AT&T), or Virgin, or Tracefone. Meaning there is absolutely no contract, no credit check, no obligation at all.
Of course the calls will be much more expensive as at a phone with contract.
For example verizon in the US offers prepaid phones for US$ 0.10 a minute and Tracefone US$1.00 (about that I'm not quiete sure), and AT&T it's US$0.50 a minute.
A CDMA phone you can here activate with Claro, Tricom or Centennial.

eduardo99

Aug 21, 2007
OK Thank you. I guess my best bet is to bring down the CDMA phone and buy minutes for it using Claro. Hopefully that will do the trick, especially since its only for one week

Music Factory

Feb 9, 2008
www.mufain.com
well the CDMA phone need to be configured at the system of Claro, Tricom or Centennial. Meaning thatfore it needs to get the PRL code.. switching to the dominican Claro frequenz.... and also the phone needs to set up (there they need to get also a secred code right from the phone) on the new provided phone number by Claro/Tricom or Centennial. This all won't be FREE of charge. Prices rar from RD$ 100 til RD$ 500... and to activate the phone you need to buy a calling card of RD$ 250... but you will get Airtime of RD$ 300. This all will take a while.... believe me... I KNOW !
And some phones do have problems.. you won't get a PRL into the phone.. so the phone over here... is useless.....
And if you wanna use the phone back in the US... they need to set up it again....
My advice.. since you do wanna use the phone only for a week... if you do have a unlocked GSM phone.... bring that and just buy a Sim Card here.
Or buy a phone here.. they are cheap under RD$ 700 (that 21 bucks!!), including airtime of RD$ 100.......

Feb 7, 2007
Oramge charges same rate sto call USA as local calls. The only difference is that while local calls are billed in 1/1 second increments, calls to USA are billed in 60/30 increments.

Music Factory

Feb 9, 2008
www.mufain.com
best way.. and of course the cheapest way is to get unlocked a phone here at a regular phone store.. the price for unlocking a phone various.. depending the model... unlocking a iphone is much more expensive as a V3.
normaly rates are between RD$ 300 - 500.
Activate a phone at orange/ meaning to buy a Sim Card costs you I think RD$ 300 or 350, and you need to bring your passport and your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.