Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default i know it's been done to death, but....

....are there any long-term, inexpensive rentals available in the 'burbs or barrios? nearly all posts i read here involve santo domingo, sousa, and other areas which i know i cannot afford. i receive a $950 u.s. social security disability check each month and can no longer afford to live in the u.s.
    i am considering the dr, east costa rica and
    the philippines. i have only one travel "bullet" to fire: once i have landed, i'll have to live with my choice o destination. cannot afford airfare to move elswhere.
    a clean, safe, small apt. or house, six-pak of cheap beer, pak of cigs and one meal a day are all i require. how do the chicas respond to americanos? any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. tim.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

What suburbs? What barrios?

In Higuey, you can get a nice 2 BR apartment in the center of town for 250 USD.

In San Juan or Ocoa or Cotui you can get a nice 2 BR for 150 dollars.

So it all depends... what suburs, what barrios? Where?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim, the DR is not necessarily cheaper than the US. In the US there are services. Those are non-existent in the DR.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Tim, the DR is not necessarily cheaper than the US. In the US there are services. Those are non-existent in the DR.
    For example Chris. What services are not available in the DR that are readily available everywhere in the USA.?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob, 950 US is a low budget. In the US there are social services. Church outreach, food stamps, the administration that the poster receives the disability disbursement from may have additional service (perhaps a military benefit? veteran's administration?), medicare, supplemental security income, we don't know the age of the poster but there could be additional benefit because of age. I am by no means an expert but I do know there are benefits according to my family.

It looks quite scary to me to fly off into the sunset with a limited and fixed income, without having investigated the place where you go to.
    Last edited by Chris; 03-24-2008 at 12:02 AM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
    i have only one travel "bullet" to fire: once i have landed, i'll have to live with my choice o destination. cannot afford airfare to move elswhere.
    Then I would suggest you don't come to DR. To be trapped here knowing you can't leave puts tremendous pressure on people, enough to lead to health deterioration. I am here through choice and I love it & have done for 15+ years but I have a sizeable emergency fund if anything goes wrong & savings in other countries which can be accessed.

Even if you're a genius at researching online you won't really know what it's like to live here until you get here which is why we always recommend people make several visits first. The same will probably be true of Costa Rica & the Phillipines.

Sorry to rain on your parade but it's the kindest thing I can do.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

...not to mention you cannot afford chicas on your income.

Inexpensive accommodations, yes.

Beer, yes.

The pack of smokes, yes.

Mujeres-olvidalo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Berzin View Post

Beer, yes.

The pack of smokes, yes.

Mujeres-olvidalo.
    thanks for your frank advice; i have been to the philippines thrice, same for costa rica. thought i'd investigate some new turf in the d.r, but all i've read indicates that i'm not strong enough $-wise. i'll lean toward c.r. or the p.i. thanks, tim

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Berzin View Post

Beer, yes.

The pack of smokes, yes.

Mujeres-olvidalo.
    I would say...

Beer, yes.

The pack of smokes, yes.

Nice girl with teeth, no, gross girl without teeth, yes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Mpe View Post
    I would say...

Beer, yes.

The pack of smokes, yes.

Nice girl with teeth, no, gross girl without teeth, yes.

Forgot to say, and this will maybe cheer you up. Previous posters answers are negative and they are right in one way. You do not have access to the amenities that US has BUT... 950 US, 32 000 pesos, is way more than average salary in the DR AND I think in many ways the people here are happier than we so....

Go to Sosua, meet some expat survivers, that lives on very low incomes, some very happy, some maybe not that happy, and see for yourself what you want.

I would not move to some typical dominican village first thing. There are cheap places close to Sosua, and then you have walking distance and can listen to expats advices...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast