Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice for moving to DR with theincome I have

Hello, I am a 29 year old American, Currently LIving in Acapulco, Mexico. I want to move to Dr VERY BAD,But unlike Mexico, I am unfamiler with Dr. I receive apx $700.00 from Social Security Disabilty. (SSDI) I find this amount small, but I am able to manage in Acapulco, and it is more exsepnsive than other parts of Mexico. Can anyone tellme if living in DR is possible on the amount I receive a month? I currently make a few extra dollars a month, but not much.. Also if someone could tell me what areas I should be looking at, etc... Thank you for your help on this!!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a question...if you are unfamiliar with the DR as you state, why do you want to move there so badly?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Iam unfamiler with living there. I have never lived there, or been there. I do have friends that are from there, and have read ALOT about DR. I want to live there because its sopposedly a great place to live. Supposed to be reasonbly priced., and Im tired of Mexico to be honest!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tlbaker78 View Post
    Hello, I am a 29 year old American, Currently LIving in Acapulco, Mexico. I want to move to Dr VERY BAD,But unlike Mexico, I am unfamiler with Dr. I receive apx $700.00 from Social Security Disabilty. (SSDI) I find this amount small, but I am able to manage in Acapulco, and it is more exsepnsive than other parts of Mexico. Can anyone tellme if living in DR is possible on the amount I receive a month? I currently make a few extra dollars a month, but not much.. Also if someone could tell me what areas I should be looking at, etc... Thank you for your help on this!!!!
    I am astonished you can make it on only $700 a month in Acapulco. I've heard that place is expensive!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy ok

Iam unfamiler with living there. I have never lived there, or been there. I do have friends that are from there, and have read ALOT about DR. I want to live there because its sopposedly a great place to live. Supposed to be reasonbly priced., and Im tired of Mexico to be honest!
    It all makes perfect sense to me now!! I have read about many places but to just want to pick up and move without ever having been there on a fixed income................well no. You stated you don't know much about the DR but you have also read alot about the DR !! I am confused.Good luck to you though.
    Last edited by leekiv; 03-24-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, well I have to say that this forum seems to be a bit on the attacking side. I have a simple question. If you dont have valuable information then dont say anything... Its not anyone place to understand why I do anything.. Its mine only. I came to a public forum, a place where you can supposedly get information, but instead I am getting interogated by the people. When you are on SSDI and get the amount I have you have a choice, Live in the US and be POOR, or live in another country and survive. To comment about living in Acapulco.. Yes it can be exspensive for Gringos who come here and try to be Kings and Queens, But I pay less tha $200 a month for a 3 bedroom house that is on a cliff overlooking to ocean. I spend about $2 or less a mean, and dont spend lavishly. I do find acapulco more exspensive than some other parts of mexico though. I am tired of mexico and want to try something else. I have nothing to tie me down, so WHY NOT hget up and leave, and go to DR.. Again, if you are a negative busy body with nothing to do but be noosey and say negative and smart aleiky things, then, please leave me alone. If you have good advice, please gove it to me.. Thanks, and I hope to get better receptio n than what I already have got... Thanks oh and to the confused one....... Just because one has read alot obout something, does not make them know ANYTHING untill they have lived it....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

excuse the attackers mr. baker, come on down, or should i say over. i am assuming your spanish is good from living in mexico, this is the biggest obstacle, lots of people live here on less than 700 a month, although you are not going to find a 3 bedroom house overlooking the ocean for 150. actually a single guy with 700 a month could really have a blast and a wide selection of girlfriends too, and be drunk all the time. if you don't mind living in a poor neighborhood, i can get you started in Santo Domingo.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, well I have to say that this forum seems to be a bit on the attacking side. I have a simple question. If you dont have valuable information then dont say anything... Its not anyone place to understand why I do anything.. Its mine only. I came to a public forum, a place where you can supposedly get information, but instead I am getting interogated by the people.
    Was this the interrogation?

Quote Originally Posted by drloca View Post
    Just a question...if you are unfamiliar with the DR as you state, why do you want to move there so badly?
    A mild question by a mild-mannered lady and you think that is interrogation? Gosh golly.

I was going to politely ask you if you had seen the thread on a very similar topic to yours which was started yesterday. Trouble is if I do I'll probably get the title of head honcho of the Spanish Inquisition...........

But, it's here. You can read it or not as you choose.
    http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/733...death-but.html

Personally I'd prefer to offer advice to mugwump because he is polite and unassuming.

Thanks, and I hope to get better receptio n than what I already have got...
    Vamos a ver as they say but don't hold your breath...........

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply! I dont need the size of house I have now... A friend of min's mother owns it and I did alot of fixing up myself.. but, when you say poor neighborhood, I am not sure I understand... I dont drink and party really... so all that is not importnat to me... I would rather have a little bit of a nicer place, then spend that money drinking.. When you say you can set me up.. what do you mena.. are you a real estate agent?

Thanks again1

Post Thanks / Like

Wow $700 can go a long way it seems. Keep us posted on how that turns out for you, tlbaker78

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast