Need advice for moving to DR with theincome I have

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Hello, I am a 29 year old American, Currently LIving in Acapulco, Mexico. I want to move to Dr VERY BAD,But unlike Mexico, I am unfamiler with Dr. I receive apx $700.00 from Social Security Disabilty. (SSDI) I find this amount small, but I am able to manage in Acapulco, and it is more exsepnsive than other parts of Mexico. Can anyone tellme if living in DR is possible on the amount I receive a month? I currently make a few extra dollars a month, but not much.. Also if someone could tell me what areas I should be looking at, etc... Thank you for your help on this!!!!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Just a question...if you are unfamiliar with the DR as you state, why do you want to move there so badly?

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Iam unfamiler with living there. I have never lived there, or been there. I do have friends that are from there, and have read ALOT about DR. I want to live there because its sopposedly a great place to live. Supposed to be reasonbly priced., and Im tired of Mexico to be honest!

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Hello, I am a 29 year old American, Currently LIving in Acapulco, Mexico. I want to move to Dr VERY BAD,But unlike Mexico, I am unfamiler with Dr. I receive apx $700.00 from Social Security Disabilty. (SSDI) I find this amount small, but I am able to manage in Acapulco, and it is more exsepnsive than other parts of Mexico. Can anyone tellme if living in DR is possible on the amount I receive a month? I currently make a few extra dollars a month, but not much.. Also if someone could tell me what areas I should be looking at, etc... Thank you for your help on this!!!!
I am astonished you can make it on only $700 a month in Acapulco. I've heard that place is expensive!

:ermm:

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
ok

Iam unfamiler with living there. I have never lived there, or been there. I do have friends that are from there, and have read ALOT about DR. I want to live there because its sopposedly a great place to live. Supposed to be reasonbly priced., and Im tired of Mexico to be honest!

It all makes perfect sense to me now!!:cheeky: I have read about many places but to just want to pick up and move without ever having been there on a fixed income................well no. You stated you don't know much about the DR but you have also read alot about the DR !! I am confused.Good luck to you though.

Last edited:

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Ok, well I have to say that this forum seems to be a bit on the attacking side. I have a simple question. If you dont have valuable information then dont say anything... Its not anyone place to understand why I do anything.. Its mine only. I came to a public forum, a place where you can supposedly get information, but instead I am getting interogated by the people. When you are on SSDI and get the amount I have you have a choice, Live in the US and be POOR, or live in another country and survive. To comment about living in Acapulco.. Yes it can be exspensive for Gringos who come here and try to be Kings and Queens, But I pay less tha $200 a month for a 3 bedroom house that is on a cliff overlooking to ocean. I spend about $2 or less a mean, and dont spend lavishly. I do find acapulco more exspensive than some other parts of mexico though. I am tired of mexico and want to try something else. I have nothing to tie me down, so WHY NOT hget up and leave, and go to DR.. Again, if you are a negative busy body with nothing to do but be noosey and say negative and smart aleiky things, then, please leave me alone. If you have good advice, please gove it to me.. Thanks, and I hope to get better receptio n than what I already have got... Thanks oh and to the confused one....... Just because one has read alot obout something, does not make them know ANYTHING untill they have lived it....

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
excuse the attackers mr. baker, come on down, or should i say over. i am assuming your spanish is good from living in mexico, this is the biggest obstacle, lots of people live here on less than 700 a month, although you are not going to find a 3 bedroom house overlooking the ocean for 150. actually a single guy with 700 a month could really have a blast and a wide selection of girlfriends too, and be drunk all the time. if you don't mind living in a poor neighborhood, i can get you started in Santo Domingo.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Ok, well I have to say that this forum seems to be a bit on the attacking side. I have a simple question. If you dont have valuable information then dont say anything... Its not anyone place to understand why I do anything.. Its mine only. I came to a public forum, a place where you can supposedly get information, but instead I am getting interogated by the people.

Was this the interrogation?

Just a question...if you are unfamiliar with the DR as you state, why do you want to move there so badly?

A mild question by a mild-mannered lady and you think that is interrogation? :cheeky: Gosh golly.

I was going to politely ask you if you had seen the thread on a very similar topic to yours which was started yesterday. Trouble is if I do I'll probably get the title of head honcho of the Spanish Inquisition...........:)

But, it's here. You can read it or not as you choose.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/73399-i-know-its-been-done-death-but.html

Personally I'd prefer to offer advice to mugwump because he is polite and unassuming.

Thanks, and I hope to get better receptio n than what I already have got...

Vamos a ver as they say but don't hold your breath...........;)

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Thank you for the reply! I dont need the size of house I have now... A friend of min's mother owns it and I did alot of fixing up myself.. but, when you say poor neighborhood, I am not sure I understand... I dont drink and party really... so all that is not importnat to me... I would rather have a little bit of a nicer place, then spend that money drinking.. When you say you can set me up.. what do you mena.. are you a real estate agent?

Thanks again1

Jan 5, 2006
Actually, if you're not much of a drinker/party person, you can get by on your $700USD.

You can still find a small, decent apartment for around $6,000/month in a not so terrible area. However, you can forget about internet, cable tv, or any other luxury items. You can bring your cellphone and get a SIM card that works with prepaid cards. You should be able to splurge and buy a card every once in a while.

Your transportation will be your feet and motoconchos, and your diet will consist of rice and beans, platanos, and lots of eggplant and spaghetti, in lieu of meat. Also, keep in mind that if you get sick, you'll be up the creek without a paddle, because you'll have to use the public hospitals, as you certainly will not be able to afford insurance.

If you can deal with that, then pack your stuff and get on a plane. Your slice of paradise is waiting! :)

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
I just dont see why everone thinks it costs so much

Ok, I know i came here for advice, But I do know what the avergae montlhy wage is in DR, and I know my income exceeds that! I do know that I am a single person, with no kids to feed. I know I can not live lavishly, BUT it seems the people on this post want everyone to think that unless you are wealthy you shgould stay away from DR.. I may be American, BUt thank god I dont think like the rest. I guess some people go to places like DR and Latin America to live Lavishly and be importnat because they have more money than the locals.. But some of us that have no choice are ok with living off $700 a month... And I feel sure that I will be able to afforda few pieces of Meat here and there... I live In Acapulco now, and it is one of the more exspensive places in Mexico to live.. But I seem to manage.. (I wish I could manage a little better though). I dont play golf, and dont attend or through "Cocktail" parties as Ive seen mentioned here... I just want to live a normal life and not be broke... I would think since I will have more money than the avergae Domican every month, then I should be able to do this.... If you are rich, and have investments and all that in DR then its probably best you dont reply, because we have totally diffeernt situations, and frnakly, you probably dont know where to get cheap clean food, and how to live without golf memberships, and AC in every room, etc.... I hate to be rude, BUt come on... Please be a little more supportive, and realistic... Thanks

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
TLBaker78,
There are alot of people on the posts here that can give you great advice, as some have already posted. I am only writing to let you know that there are also alot of "haters" also on this site. Take the advice of the people that sound genuine. Attacking is very common on this site as I found out when I first posted. But also I got alot of advice and leads on subjects such as jobs, neighborhoods, and schools for my children.
I wish you all of the best...I am 4 months away from my move to DR and I would not change my mind for any amount of crap laid on me by some of the posters here.
ALMOST anything can be done if you put your mind and heart to it.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Ok, well I have to say that this forum seems to be a bit on the attacking side. I have a simple question. If you dont have valuable information then dont say anything... Its not anyone place to understand why I do anything.. Its mine only. I came to a public forum, a place where you can supposedly get information, but instead I am getting interogated by the people. When you are on SSDI and get the amount I have you have a choice, Live in the US and be POOR, or live in another country and survive. To comment about living in Acapulco.. Yes it can be exspensive for Gringos who come here and try to be Kings and Queens, But I pay less tha $200 a month for a 3 bedroom house that is on a cliff overlooking to ocean. I spend about $2 or less a mean, and dont spend lavishly. I do find acapulco more exspensive than some other parts of mexico though. I am tired of mexico and want to try something else. I have nothing to tie me down, so WHY NOT hget up and leave, and go to DR.. Again, if you are a negative busy body with nothing to do but be noosey and say negative and smart aleiky things, then, please leave me alone. If you have good advice, please gove it to me.. Thanks, and I hope to get better receptio n than what I already have got... Thanks oh and to the confused one....... Just because one has read alot obout something, does not make them know ANYTHING untill they have lived it....

You need to realize that when you are new on here and seeking advice about relocating to the DR, regular posters are trying to gain some insight into what it is you are seeking and therefore ask questions to obtain this perspective...so why are you so quick to attack the responders as you misconstrue this as being "nosey"?

Truthfully, I think you should look no further and waste no more time...head on over to the DR as you apparently already know all there is to know.

Jan 5, 2006
I know I can not live lavishly... some of us that have no choice are ok with living off $700 a month... And I feel sure that I will be able to afford a few pieces of Meat here and there... I just want to live a normal life and not be broke... you probably dont know where to get cheap clean food

That's almost excatly what I told you!

You can absolutely get by on $700USD a month, as long as you live like the locals, which is what I described. You can eat meat 2 to 3 times a week, and you can even have a beer here or there, as long as you buy them at a colmado, and not some fancy bar. You won't be able to get a car, so public transport and walking will have to do, and you'll have to buy most of your food at the mercado to stretch out your cash. You will also have to keep luxury items to a minimum, which is why I mentioned that you can afford a cell phone, but not much else.

The part about getting sick is no joke either!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You need to realize that when you are new on here and seeking advice about relocating to the DR, regular posters are trying to gain some insight into what it is you are seeking and therefore ask questions to obtain this perspective...so why are you so quick to attack the responders as you misconstrue this as being "nosey"?

Truthfully, I think you should look no further and waste no more time...head on over to the DR as you apparently already know all there is to know.

There are ways that you ask questions and ways that you don't ask questions. If you truely are trying to gain insight then you ask a question without sarcasm...We all learned politeness in Kindergarten.

To tlbaker78:
There are many locals that live on much less than what you have, including my best friend who returned to the DR with $650 last summer and is still there...granted she has her husand and his family. But some people do not. Depends on what you ar looking for... check out the smaller pueblos, the campos...I have found that where they lack in "malls" and "fast food", they make up for in atmosphere and overall genuine care for the other person.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
There are ways that you ask questions and ways that you don't ask questions. If you truely are trying to gain insight then you ask a question without sarcasm...We all learned politeness in Kindergarten.

To tlbaker78:
There are many locals that live on much less than what you have, including my best friend who returned to the DR with $650 last summer and is still there...granted she has her husand and his family. But some people do not. Depends on what you ar looking for... check out the smaller pueblos, the campos...I have found that where they lack in "malls" and "fast food", they make up for in atmosphere and overall genuine care for the other person.

Well then I guess you never made it past kindergarten. Actually, I attribute my "politeness" to the good home in which I was raised.

Mar 2, 2008
Listen, guys, I really don't think anyone is trying to be rude, especially drloca. She is offering good advice, and asking legitimate questions. Granted, I know from experience that you need some bark on you on you when you get on this board, but don't take it personally. It's part of the process. If you can't take a little prodding you probably are going to have a rough time here. The advice I have seen on here, overall, has been honest and sincere. I think the bottom line is, if you want to live frugally, and are prepared to go without somethings you may want but not need, then you will probably find a way to make it. I just think people are trying to give you an honest head's-up that it's not easy, nor is it something everyone would want to contend with. And I mean no offense by that.