Getting to Puerto Rico by boat or plane?

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Since I am american, I will have to do certain things in Puerto Rico from time to time, and I am looking at the cost's of going to and from. One would think that it would be a simple boat ride away.... Is it? Thanks

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Ok I will ask again, another way.. anyone know about the ferry to PR from DR?

I've not taken it personally but have heard from several others. First, it takes about 8 hours but should only take 4. My friends tell me that they drive around in circles so that you drink more. Next, it is easier to take the ferry with an animal, which is why several of my friends take it. The last fare I heard sounded outrageous...around $200 one way I think (but I can't swear to this because it could have been a holiday rate.)

Those who go in and out of PR frequently say that the airport taxes have made the ferry cheaper.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I went from the DR to PR last year when AA cancelled my flt. to NY and I started foaming at the mouth in the middle of the airport.So, I don't know the cost but the flight is so short you barely put on your seat belt and you are preparing to land. If the price difference is not a big deal I don't think I would want to spend 8 hours on the ferry.
john

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The ferry is about a third/half of the price of flying depending on what deal you opt for. Apparently Santo Domingo-San Juan flights are among the most expensive per kilometre in the world because AA has the monopoly. The main drawback with the ferry is that it arrives in Mayaguez, a couple of hours drive from San Juan (they provide a shuttle bus). If you have time to spare, it's worth it.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
For those who haven't gone to Chiri's link...it is fabulous. And, I highly recommend linking to the photos as well.
Thanks again Chiri. That was clearly WAY more informative than my second hand info (which I only posted because no one had responded).

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For those who haven't gone to Chiri's link...it is fabulous. And, I highly recommend linking to the photos as well.
Thanks again Chiri. That was clearly WAY more informative than my second hand info (which I only posted because no one had responded).

Chris--Perfect example of the use of "reputation points" and advise.

JUST KIDDING!!! Had to do it only because you brought it up last week.
John;>

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks for the advice everyone.. SO I see that there are not as many options as I thought, But safe to say 200USD round trip will get me back and forth? Does th price of the ticket include the shuttle bus to SJ?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
When we made the trip four months ago there were options below US$200 round-trip. I don't know if the shuttle is included, as we were met by our PR friends. Have you checked the Ferries del Caribe site for this info? Otherwise, contact the office nearest to you and best of luck.:ermm:

redonion

Apr 25, 2008
travel.kenharrington.com
The ferry is about a third/half of the price of flying depending on what deal you opt for. Apparently Santo Domingo-San Juan flights are among the most expensive per kilometre in the world because AA has the monopoly. The main drawback with the ferry is that it arrives in Mayaguez, a couple of hours drive from San Juan (they provide a shuttle bus). If you have time to spare, it's worth it.

Do you have any more information regarding the shuttle bus service from San Juan to Mayaguez? I'm looking to make that trip the end of this month