Codetel - Whom do you know?

Feb 7, 2007
To all DR1 ers who have dealt with Codetel / Verizon, and had no other recourse (after having huge technical issues) than to speak to somebody of rank in Codetel:

Whom do you know? Please PM me names and contacts...

Here is my situation.

Since about a month ago I have been experiencing intermittent connection, which has progressively gotten worse over the past week. I barely get a connection now - the modem does not synch. When it does synch, it stays on for some time and then it goes. Sometimes it comes back on right away and sometimes it's hours. This is impeding my work, as I need to have a reliable VOIP and VPN connection at my home.

I have had numerous trouble tickets opened and several reclamations in place, apparently they say a cable/wire in the area has some issues and needs to be replaced, and even that several people in the area have cancelled service, but apparently this is a non-issue to them and have no ETR.

So, please, whom do you know at Codetel? I need to call up and exert a pressure on these local Codetel people using somebody much higher up.

THANKS!!!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is this everywhere then? Ours (Puerto Plata) has been bad this past week particularly late at night - BushBaby wondered if they were doing some sort of maintenance. And I know LindseyKaufman had bad connectivity the other day in Sosua. Time to change DNS codes again does anyone think? I'm guessing wildly & optimistically :) here.........I'm not a techie at ll.

Feb 7, 2007
This is in Higuey, but affecting only an area I live in (NW Higuey).
Not a DNS or speed problem. I use Sprintlink's DNS, and speed, when service is on, is OK.

This is a synch (synchronization) issue. I've gotten intermittent synchronization, which means the modem does not synchronize with DSLAM server. This happens because of interference present somewhere along Codetel's lines. That interference may be from a 3rd party source, but most likely it's a damaged wire. They do claim there is a wire problem about halfway between my house and their CO.

For techies, I have done all inside-home interference check, disconnected all electrical appliances, even used AM radio to search for interferance, etc., even moved the DEMARK point box to get at about 20 feet from the street wire connect box, and even connected modem directly to DEMARK. I have SNR of about 10, which is not very good but good enough, and I have Attenuation at 60, which again is not very good but still OK. I am at 10,000 feet with 8,000 feet cushion on PPPoA ADSL 2nd generation's limit.

The point is for 3 montsh since I moved here (for those of you who recall my landlord/tennat story) the service was very good, late this February it started to degrade progressively until now, where it got to the point I have connection about 15% of the time, and it is very random. Impossible to do any work and I am getting desperate.

Even when writing this reply my connection has gotten down and up about 15 times.

So, again guys, whom do you know at Codetel who is high up and who could exert some pressure here?

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If the cable is out, then you might have trouble getting a new one installed within a "reasonable" time frame.

Start filing for credits to your account. They hate that, but they do pay.

Go to the local office, smile, be nice and ask if you can speak to someone that can help. A joke and a smile goes a long way!

Go find a tech and turn him into a friend, better still, go find a girl that works there and turn her into a friend.

As some of us know, screaming, shouting and expecting 1st world service is a complete waste of time here. This is the DR and networking gets results!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Dude, all I can say is that I feel really sorry for you. Although it might seem extreme, I deliberately chose my current location based on having 2 options for connecting to the internet, Aster and Codetel.

Feb 7, 2007
I too have other connection options, but none really is worth it. A local cable TV has Internet, but at its best hour it sucks more than Codetel now at its worst. Unreliable and no speed. Cannot use at all for VOIP.
Some local ingeniero has a microwave system but with its point to multipoint shared access and limited bandwidth is a no-go too.

Centennial now offers Interjet at 2.4 mbps at very good price, unlimited access, but their coverage map does not show Higuey only Bavaro. CT does however have cellphone signal here in Higuey. So I will need to do a local investigation and testing. Might solve the problem if it works here.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Ceck out my previous posting....

Take up ANY problems with INDOTEL the Dominican telephone "watchdog". They work for you for "free" and get results fast.

There is also a little quango like this for Electricity called Protecom. If people stopped trying to bribe workers to fix problems quicker and used the correct channels to get the job done faster in the first place, we'd all be better off. - Take that last sentence with a "pinch-of-salt" my phone was OOO for around 6 months!!

Feb 7, 2007
Yeah I know about Indotel and Protecom.

Here are the results: I found an old contact at Codetel, the secretary of the director of data services. I made a phone call.

The same day the Codetel tech came to my house, but I was avay. Two hours later Higuey supervisor called me to arrange visit for the next day mornig.

Next day the problem was fixed; I was put "offline" for 3 hours while all kinds of testing was done, then I was plugged back in on a different line port/pair of wire. I was told the former pair had some problems going to the CO.

NOW MY QUESTION: Tomorrow I go to Santo Domingo and I want to express my gratitute to the lady at Codetel that helped me so much, whom I do not know personally BTW, but who helped resolve this problem fast. I want to take her some small gift to express my gratitute. What would you suggest? Some top quality chocolates? Something else?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yeah I know about Indotel and Protecom.

Here are the results: I found an old contact at Codetel, the secretary of the director of data services. I made a phone call.

The same day the Codetel tech came to my house, but I was avay. Two hours later Higuey supervisor called me to arrange visit for the next day mornig.

Next day the problem was fixed; I was put "offline" for 3 hours while all kinds of testing was done, then I was plugged back in on a different line port/pair of wire. I was told the former pair had some problems going to the CO.

NOW MY QUESTION: Tomorrow I go to Santo Domingo and I want to express my gratitute to the lady at Codetel that helped me so much, whom I do not know personally BTW, but who helped resolve this problem fast. I want to take her some small gift to express my gratitute. What would you suggest? Some top quality chocolates? Something else?
What woman doesn't love a nice bouquet of flowers, the bigger the better.