Job for Eng/Spn speaking Dominican

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I am begining to help a Dominican friend search for a good job where she can use her Spanish/English skills. Primarily we will be looking in the Santiago area, but other cities are possible too. She currently lives and teaches at the English Institute I direct and has perfected her English here. She is fluent in Eng/Spn, speaks some French and is currently studying more, and has her degree from a private high school.

She has done some work as a translator for medical teams, in the school setting, in the church setting, and has lots of experience working with Americans and Canadians. Other talents include volleyball, dance, hairbraiding ....which may apply more to a resort/hotel job.

Not looking for anything in the teaching field, but anything else is a possibility at this point.

Just looking to see if anyone on this board can be a resourse to me as I try to help get her out there on her own in the working world.

also ...an unpaid internship that has potential of leading to a job (in Santiago) could work too.

***disclaimer--I posted a similar thread back in December looking for some suggestions, but realized December was too early to start looking as she wasn't planning to move until May.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can try getting a job at a 5 Star Hotel. There is a good chance that the Gran Almirante can use her if she is fluent in English and Spanish.

Contact Humberto Pichardo the General Manager.

809-580-1992.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
thanks for that suggestion. Does the manager speak English? Do you have any other helpful info before I call?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
thanks for that suggestion. Does the manager speak English? Do you have any other helpful info before I call?

He speaks English as do most that work there. Why don"t you let her call, I think it would be better. Even better would be for her to go there in person. His office is one floor under the Reception. I would call him for you but I cannot vouch for someone I do not know. Sorry about that.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I think it would be better for her to call too, or go there. We are 2 hours outside of Santiago though, so it might be a few weeks until our next time in the city.

I understand that you would not be able to vouch for her. The information and contact is a great help though. Thanks

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
does anyone have any connections with any of the resorts/all-inclusives (managers or employees there) on the north coast (PP, Sosua, Cabarete) ....she will probably just go and submit resumes and try to talk to as many managers/HR offices as she can, but since connections are everything here I wanted to see if I could find anything here .....this girl did not grow up with/around any family or relatives so although she is talented and smart, her connections are very limited.