Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Inverters, etc

Hi, I have question about Power inverters.. I was told in a previous post I would need a 1.5k inverter and 4 batt. I am sorry for my ignorance on such things, but I am not sure I know what it is.. An overter to me is one that just changes the current of power.... Is that what also charges the batteries?? I was thinking of like APC battery backups, but i see they really dont give you any time at all... Can someone explain a little more, PLEASE, maybe send me a link to an example on ebay (I found some mitsubishi 1.5k power inverters, but i see nothing about batteries)
    Thanks

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to our favorite brand.
    Xantrex Technology Inc.
    The problem is that it's enough to confuse even a fairly knowledgeable person, so let's just run over a few details here.
    An inverter should do both, change AC to DC and DC to AC, so the unit would be capable of charging batteries (AC to DC) and also provide 110 volt AC during power failures, from the batteries. (DC to AC)
    Some companies mislead by calling converters, inverters, so beware.
    It has to do both functions to be a true inverter.
    So the net result is the following, assuming you have the adequate equipment.
    Power goes off, inverter changes mode in milliseconds and supplies power to your house, then when the power returns, it changes modes once more, allowing the AC to flow through and supply the house, all while it also recharges your batteries.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent concise explanation.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

1,5 k inverter and 4 batteries sounds a bit small. Which kind of equipments you have plant to use ? A/C , TV , pump etc

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anitaemma View Post
    1,5 k inverter and 4 batteries sounds a bit small. Which kind of equipments you have plant to use ? A/C , TV , pump etc
    This fellow is planning on living a very simple existence here in the DR, and if anything, it may be more than what he needs.
    If someone is only powering 1 economy bulb, a fan, a TV and a laptop, you'd be surprised as to how far he could go with a 1K unit and only 2 batteries.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I know i am ignorant, and should know more... But is this what you are talking about when you say a 1k inverter....? Will this work?

Amazon.com: Duracell DC to AC Power Source Inverter 1500 Watt #813-1500-07: Automotive

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    This fellow is planning on living a very simple existence here in the DR, and if anything, it may be more than what he needs.
    If someone is only powering 1 economy bulb, a fan, a TV and a laptop, you'd be surprised as to how far he could go with a 1K unit and only 2 batteries.
    Boy, that is roughing it! For that reason I sugggested a 1.5 with 4 batteries, to make sure the house/apt can be lighted relativley easily. If the guy bathes quickly, he might even be able to use the head mounted water heater thing - real quickly though, but a must here in Santiago in winter.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Here's a link to our favorite brand.
    [url=http://www.xantrex.com/]Xantrex Technology Inc.[/ur
    An inverter should do both, change AC to DC and DC to AC, so the unit would be capable of charging batteries (AC to DC) and also provide 110 volt AC during power failures, from the batteries. (DC to AC)
    Some companies mislead by calling converters, inverters, .
    Just want to correct an error, Inverters change DC direct current to AC Alternating current and rectifiers change AC into DC.

skippy

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is going to have different needs and give different advise. Best that you do your research and determine your own needs. Follow Rockys' advise and gain real information that is more intuned to your needs at the Xantrex web site that he posted, they have an amazing amount of information that will inform and teach IF you take the time. After you have gained some knowledge, then it is the time to ask questions based on some understanding rather then several individuals with different requirements, budgets and use.

Regards, Ringo

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I was wondering, if I could buy it here in Mexico, or USA and bring the Inverter, and / Batteries on the plane to DR... I am sure they would be cheaper, But what aqbout import taxes, or duties? I am not sure I can bring the batteries on the plane.... I am sure I can get the inverter for less than $100 USD, But I am not sure what the Customs Guy will say.. Any ideas???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast