Information/Advice

Tom Guiney

Mar 26, 2008
Looking at travelling to the Dominican Republic for my summer holiday this year and some information/advice would be greatly appreciated in trying to finalise my holiday. Looking to travel around June 24th 2008 for 2 weeks. Been to the travel agents and have seen a holiday staying at the Casa Del Mar in Bayhibe. Please does anyone have any advice on this. Have seen some reviews which seem to be excellent. My main concerns are whether this is the right time of year to go, the right area to go and whether or not the weather is good at this time of year? Looking for a very relaxed holiday with my girlfriend with excellent beaches. Any info would be greatly appreciated as i have never been outside of Europe before and just want a little piece of mind that everything will be ok.

Many Thanks.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Go for it. Bayahibe fits your description for a vacation. Be sure to take a boat out to Saona, Palmilla. Excursions will be offered at the hotel, or you can book one in Bayahibe town. Also do the new nature walk organized by the Bayahibe La Romana Association.

Dominican Republic Vaction Planner

Other hotels in the area are:
Oasis Canoa - Dominican Republic
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace - Dominican Republic (DR1)
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach - Dominican Republic (DR1)
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus - Dominican Republic (DR1)

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey Tom, I have travelled around the same time as you late June/early july and it is a good time to travel. I have also been to Bayahibe for a whole week and I will give you my honest opinion...
I stayed at the Oasis Canoa and it was ok but not that great. The only reason I say this is because I expected the place to be full with people but to my surprise it was very empty and nightlife is nonexistent...I still managed to have a good time but did so by travelling outside the resort and hanging out with locals and checking out nearby cities or towns. I rented a car and know the roads pretty good so I just left on road adventures to La Romana [20 minute drive from Bayahibe] and Higuey [30 minute drive east]. I even went to the actual town of Bayahibe which was a 4 minute drive from the resort itself...the town is not too lively but it is relatively calm and easy going. I spent much of my time at bars by the water and watched the tourists take their boat rides out on little excursions. On my free time I even played basketball with the local kids and even hung out with the friends I made at the resort, who happened to live in the town.
The Dominican Republic is a beautiful island to visit and spend a vacation. I love it so much and have gone back more than 10 times since my first visit in 2003. If you are feeling adventurous I say rent a car and drive and see places. If it is rest and relaxation you are looking for, the resorts are fine for that. The beaches in Bayahibe were very nice but my suggestion if you want to budget yourself out is check out the north coast [Cabarete, Sosua, Playa Dorada] where you will find cheaper accomodations and a more lively night life!
Enjoy! - Jaime