LIVING IN SANTIAGO (income needed)

CARGUYWILL

Dec 21, 2005
Would A Family Of Three Be Able To Live Well On A Income Of 72,000 Pesos A Month (man,wife,small Child) Renting A Nice House In Santiago In The Villa Olga Or Cerro Alto Area Or Gurabo Area
What Kind Of Lifestyle Could Be Expecred On This Kind Of Income?

Thank You

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Too many variables. School alone could eat up to 10K of that income. Rent will vary greatly. Food will depend on what you eat: American style and you;ll go broke every month; Dominican style you'll have money left over.
A vehicle will constitute a major expense with gasoline or diesel at $5 a gallon.
Telephone can be pocket change with a computer connection and smart jack.
Medicine and health care could be a major concern and constant expense..medical insurance an important item.

If you maintain a 'stylish' lifestyle, you become a target.

If you isolate yourself you get bored and frustrated...

Too many variables.

Most consistent advice is come and rent for a few months and get a feel for the place.
Do you have Spanish? Are you going to learn>?

Tons of questions.

HB

CARGUYWILL

Dec 21, 2005
i am dominican my wife is dominican and was raised in DR from 8yrs old until she was 20 when we met. We know the culture very well i was just wondering WITH $2800 U.S DOLLARS A MONTH is it reasonable to to believe one could rent a nice house and live a comfortable lifestyle

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
It's like HB said. Too many variables. I have a cousin that studied at the most prestigious school in Santiago and his father was paying close to 20K a month. A nice apartment in la trinitaria (3 bedroom) goes for about 15K a month. Also take into consideration the gasoline prices HB mentioned. I visit Santiago often and I feel the effects of gasoline prices as I'm always on the run.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i am dominican my wife is dominican and was raised in DR from 8yrs old until she was 20 when we met. We know the culture very well i was just wondering WITH $2800 U.S DOLLARS A MONTH is it reasonable to to believe one could rent a nice house and live a comfortable lifestyle

Doesn't that equal more like 92,000 Pesos per month.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
At that exchange rate even with the variables the op should live fairly comfortably.....as long as luxury items are kept under control.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Would A Family Of Three Be Able To Live Well On A Income Of 72,000 Pesos A Month (man,wife,small Child) Renting A Nice House In Santiago In The Villa Olga Or Cerro Alto Area Or Gurabo Area
What Kind Of Lifestyle Could Be Expecred On This Kind Of Income?

Thank You

A rental home in Villa Olga would run into some 25,000, but given the amount of new apartment buildings there, renting a well sized apartment would make a bit more sense and offer some security.

With 72,000 a family of three would have a comfortable living, nothing out of the Beverly Hills drama...

A rental in Gurabo would be cheaper as of now, all depending on home size and fanciness.

You can expect to live an above average living compared to most Dominicans, but not in the well to do range. If you get used to the local diet and lifestyle, you sure can live a much richer living (not monetarily) than in the States or CA.

If you do your moving at intervals instead of a whoosh! and move right away thing, you can do much better than a good 90% of those already moved or in the process of doing so.

I suggest you first have a strong taste of the local diet and lifestyle by making a part-time move to the DR, but with the bulk of your stuff at home.

If you can secure a secondary income in foreign funds via investment or side biz at home, then you could really enjoy an above the 95% lifestyle among Dominicans and current foreigners making the DR home now.

As posted before, gas expenses are a drag on your pocketbook.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I move from the states about 2 months ago and me and my wife are currently living in a $2500 USD a month income with a mortgage payment of $18,000 pesos a month and a car payment of $13,000 pesos monthy plus food, dry cleannig, RoboNorte (electricity) of about $1200 pesos monthy, and water and sewer for about $500 pesos a month.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I plan to TRY (keyword is Try) to live off of 75,000-80,000 pesos per month but then again, I am going to Sajoma...The cost of living there is far cheaper than Santiago.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The kid will be a factor because as Hillbilly stated the billingual school youll WANT your kid to be in will take away at least 10,000 pesos, but aside of that you could get a nice 2 room apartment for no more than 12,000 pesos in Santiago, (Here in Santo Domingo semiluxury 2 room apartments cost 15-18mil pesos), I imagine you will take another loan to buy a car, take 13,000 off right there and you have to be very wary with the electricity bill, it may eat you out month after month. Med Insurance another must.

After taking all of that into account you can cover all the other stuff and still have money leftover to save or to spend (depends in your lifestyle) and live a very decent life in Santiago.

Now Sking with that kind of money in Sajoma you will live like a king (or queen?).

rbstoker

Nov 23, 2005
I move from the states about 2 months ago and me and my wife are currently living in a $2500 USD a month income with a mortgage payment of $18,000 pesos a month and a car payment of $13,000 pesos monthy plus food, dry cleannig, RoboNorte (electricity) of about $1200 pesos monthy, and water and sewer for about $500 pesos a month.

If I may be a little nosey... Did you secure your home loan locally or from the US. If locally was it hard, (ie; did you have to put 50% down as I have heard is the norm and agree to a short note term). I am considering moving in the near future and will probably rent to start. I heard that you have to consult a lawyer even for a rental... is this true?

Thanks, Reg

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Sorry, I only read a couple of lines. You have not read anything or even tried. If you can not even read the current threads then you have no business... at all, thinking of leaving your front door.

I'm sorry, Ringo

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
If I may be a little nosey... Did you secure your home loan locally or from the US. If locally was it hard, (ie; did you have to put 50% down as I have heard is the norm and agree to a short note term). I am considering moving in the near future and will probably rent to start. I heard that you have to consult a lawyer even for a rental... is this true?

Thanks, Reg

I secure my home mortgage with a local bank, I was born here so it was real easy plus I put down about 65% of the purchase price.