Living and working in Puerto Plata

a407526

Mar 11, 2008
Hello all
I have been considering a major life change and would like to look into the possibility of moving to the Caribbean.
I will start off by saying that I have spent the last month reviewing posts about all the pros and cons of living in the DR. I am not looking for someone to tell me that it will be hard and a different way of life, I am well aware of this and I am looking for a challenge. I currently live in Toronto, Canada, and work as an administrator for an investment firm. my goal is to be prepared to move in the next year to two as I would like to give myself plenty of time to prepare everything I will need.
I am 21 years old and I do not speak Spanish, however on Monday I am starting classes and plan to be modest- fluent by the time I make my move.
so here is the information I would like some help with.
can anyone direct me to somewhere I can find information about living accommodations in POP, also possible employment ( I do have the option to work for a telecom company down there however I would like to change my field)
I understand that it is hard work and long hours but I would like to possibly work as a housekeeper or at a resort, does anyone have insight on wage expectations.
also allot of the things I have read have highlighted security as an important aspect of your choice of apartment or house, what are your thoughts.
transportation- reliable?
my head is flooded with questions and I just really want to be prepared as much as possible for when I move out there.
any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
if there is any additional information you would like please ask or you can PM me
Thank You !!!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I currently live in Toronto, Canada, and work as an administrator for an investment firm.
I do have the option to work for a telecom company down there however I would like to change my field
I would like to possibly work as a housekeeper or at a resort,
What what what what'd you say?

norcalbabe.gif

My head is spinning.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No Rocky, you've missed the mark. There won't be much talk ... No Spanish!

a407526, please do some searches on this forum and on the employment forum and read a lot. Then come back with some specific questions. For example, what is your budget for a house?

I hope you are not trying to get a job as a housekeeper on a resort where you met a man?

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
lol Uh............

No Rocky, you've missed the mark. There won't be much talk ... No Spanish!

a407526, please do some searches on this forum and on the employment forum and read a lot. Then come back with some specific questions. For example, what is your budget for a house?

I hope you are not trying to get a job as a housekeeper on a resort where you met a man?

I bet your right Chris. OP read all you can on this site,especially on sankies.;) Good luck to you.

a407526

Mar 11, 2008
no i am not moving for a man
i have extesivly read the sankie forums and i guess i was expecting that question
probably should have clarified
with regard to specific questions it all depends on the feild i enter when working down there.
i would like to get out from corporate politics and have a compleatly different experiance.
is it possible to survive on a housekeepers salary ?
would the pay be better at a resort.
or should i just join animacion and become a sankie myself
i hear the benefits are great!!!

a407526

Mar 11, 2008
also another question that comes to mind is how much should i save up before coming

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It is very difficult to survive on a housekeeper's salary unless you get a live-in position somewhere. I think save up 6 months of budget for living and a ticket back home. You should be really comfortable with this. Use the first three months to find your feet in Puerto Plata and keep the other 3 months worth if you need to go home.

a407526

Mar 11, 2008
ok so what would hold me over for 6 months?
5-6000.00?
please keep in mind everyone I am preparing for the move
I don't plan to do it for about another year
but I would like to be completely prepared

a407526

Mar 11, 2008
i just thought of another question...
how safe is it for a single young and i would say attractive girl to be living alone in peurto plata. i have read many posts about random or not so random acts of violence. i do not plan on living a lavish life i will probably only have a tv and if it is safe maybe a computer..
when i first move there should i make up a live in boyfriend?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
being a maid 'might' earn you 10-12,000 pesos a month + transporation to work. that's about Canadian $300 a month.

is that what you're talking about when you say you want to be a housekeeper to earn your spending money?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
when i first move there should i make up a live in boyfriend?

You can make up the King of Siam :cheeky: but it won't make much difference because you'll still get passes made at you if the fellas don't see the boyfriend. Come to think of it you'd probably get passes made even if they did see the boyfriend..............;) But if you're asking about security you would need to ensure that you made your apartment secure, yes. Particularly if you're living downtown.

scarlettbruns

Mar 17, 2008
working at a resort

Hi,
my boyfriend works at Breezes resort in Puerto plata and earns 9000 pesos per month, he lives at the resort in a single room (not shared) gets unlimited food and beverages, works 11 days gets 3 days off or works 21 days and gets one week off (you can choose every month) and medical coverage. He used to work at barcelo in Punta cana and earned 7,900 pesos per month with the same inclusive stuff, but in an entry level position. The hours are not that bad he works 9:30am-11:30am then has free time, and works again 3pm-6pm, once a week he is in the nightly entertainment shows, once he learned the routine he only has one run through of the show on the day of the performance. I will be moving out there in november and also working at the resort. Most resorts wont hire you unless you go there personally for an audition / interview and usually they look for some kind of special skill ie. dancer, trapeze, degree in tourism, experience working with kids etc.
The pay is pretty good considering that you have no expenses while you are there, since you live and eat for free, do your laundry for free, get free internet access once per week etc. most resorts pay you in USD and it is calculated at 33 / 1 so 9000 pesos = $272 USD per month approx
Good Luck
Scarlett
(Vancouver, Canada)

scarlettbruns

Mar 17, 2008
yes you will be hit with or with out bf everywhere you go, and from personal experience lots of guys don't take no for an answer. If you speak spanish and can defend yourself (verbally) in spanish most of them will be taken aback because they wont expect you to speak spanish, when you go out see if you can stick to a group whether it's all girls or all guys or a mix, but "safety in numbers" is def. true in some areas if you are white. Most of the dominicans I have met are very helpful, there is some hostility though, when I go out with my bf there I have had many many guys and girls glare at me and call me a "white bitch". It all depends on if you already know people down there and have friends that can show you the ropes, life is completely diff there from grocery shopping, visiting a doctor, working to going clubbing.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I am a younger person who has been living here (although not in PP) for over a year. You will want to get as far with the Spanish as you can before coming ...if you can get a conversation partner where you currently live, that would help. Also, you will want to make trustwothy American/Canadian friends as well as Dominican friends ASAP once you get here.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
ok so what would hold me over for 6 months?
5-6000.00?
please keep in mind everyone I am preparing for the move
I don't plan to do it for about another year
but I would like to be completely prepared

I have found that you can never be COMPLETELY prepared