Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Living and working in Puerto Plata

Hello all
    I have been considering a major life change and would like to look into the possibility of moving to the Caribbean.
    I will start off by saying that I have spent the last month reviewing posts about all the pros and cons of living in the DR. I am not looking for someone to tell me that it will be hard and a different way of life, I am well aware of this and I am looking for a challenge. I currently live in Toronto, Canada, and work as an administrator for an investment firm. my goal is to be prepared to move in the next year to two as I would like to give myself plenty of time to prepare everything I will need.
    I am 21 years old and I do not speak Spanish, however on Monday I am starting classes and plan to be modest- fluent by the time I make my move.
    so here is the information I would like some help with.
    can anyone direct me to somewhere I can find information about living accommodations in POP, also possible employment ( I do have the option to work for a telecom company down there however I would like to change my field)
    I understand that it is hard work and long hours but I would like to possibly work as a housekeeper or at a resort, does anyone have insight on wage expectations.
    also allot of the things I have read have highlighted security as an important aspect of your choice of apartment or house, what are your thoughts.
    transportation- reliable?
    my head is flooded with questions and I just really want to be prepared as much as possible for when I move out there.
    any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    if there is any additional information you would like please ask or you can PM me
    Thank You !!!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this DR1 site Dominican Republic Real Estate - Listing as well as this one Rentals for Puerto Plata. Good luck.....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You are a girl, right?

You are not moving becuase of sanky... err... boyfriend, right?

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a407526 View Post
    I currently live in Toronto, Canada, and work as an administrator for an investment firm.
    I do have the option to work for a telecom company down there however I would like to change my field
    I would like to possibly work as a housekeeper or at a resort,
    What what what what'd you say?

My head is spinning.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

No Rocky, you've missed the mark. There won't be much talk ... No Spanish!

a407526, please do some searches on this forum and on the employment forum and read a lot. Then come back with some specific questions. For example, what is your budget for a house?

I hope you are not trying to get a job as a housekeeper on a resort where you met a man?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool lol Uh............

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    No Rocky, you've missed the mark. There won't be much talk ... No Spanish!

a407526, please do some searches on this forum and on the employment forum and read a lot. Then come back with some specific questions. For example, what is your budget for a house?

I hope you are not trying to get a job as a housekeeper on a resort where you met a man?
    I bet your right Chris. OP read all you can on this site,especially on sankies. Good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

no i am not moving for a man
    i have extesivly read the sankie forums and i guess i was expecting that question
    probably should have clarified
    with regard to specific questions it all depends on the feild i enter when working down there.
    i would like to get out from corporate politics and have a compleatly different experiance.
    is it possible to survive on a housekeepers salary ?
    would the pay be better at a resort.
    or should i just join animacion and become a sankie myself
    i hear the benefits are great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

and thank you for directing me to the employment forum it was very helpfull

Post Thanks / Like

also another question that comes to mind is how much should i save up before coming

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It is very difficult to survive on a housekeeper's salary unless you get a live-in position somewhere. I think save up 6 months of budget for living and a ticket back home. You should be really comfortable with this. Use the first three months to find your feet in Puerto Plata and keep the other 3 months worth if you need to go home.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast