Living in Santo Domingo

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
So, I have the choice of taking a certain job in Santo Domingo teaching English at RD$190 per hour and RD$210 per hour after 3 months (assuming that I do well after the probation period) with the guarantee of at least 120 hours per month (but that's being debated, could be more hours guaranteed). I calculated that and it's RD$22,800, assuming that I don't pick up other employment. I had a few questions:

1) How many pesos per month is a reasonable one person apartment (furnished if possible) in a reasonably safe neighbourhood?

2) Assuming I'm not eating out all the time, how much would food cost per month (in pesos please)?

3) How much does it cost in pesos to do an activity? (I do capoeira in Toronto and my capoeira school has a branch in both Santo Domingo and Santiago, so I was wondering the cost of that per month in pesos)

But, before answering, please consider that I'm single, living alone, and not planning on having a car or going out more than two times a week.

I'll probably post more questions later on, but those are it for now.

Thanks in advance to everyone for their helpful responses.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Thanks Peetie!! I really appreciate it!

I wouldn't mind paying that much if all the amenities were included like your friend's place, cause I would end up paying that much anyway separately regardless.

I like to eat pasta, rice and vegetables, chicken, and potatoes. I of course like snacks like chips and such. I do drink, but not in excess.

Thanks so much for your response.

First of all, congratulations on your new position!

1) Depends where you want to live. For example, I just found a place for my friend that's a little over RD$10,000 for a very small studio, all bills included (internets, gas, electric, water, rent, laundry, etc) in a reasonably safe area of Zona Colonial. If you let people know your intentions (how long you want to stay, if you like to booze it up every night), then you can definitely negotiate a lower price.

2) Everyone's diet is different. If you post a list of the things you eat, we can give you a quick price check.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is the teaching in one location, or do you have to move around to go the student(s)? Either way, 30 hours a week teaching English is fairly intensive, and for under US$700 per month it's not going to feel worth it. Even if you get the RD$10,000 studio, once you've covered food there's going to be precious little left over to enjoy what the city and the country have to offer.
You could probably get a better paid job teaching at a private bilingual school, and have time and energy left to do some after hours tutoring/English teaching.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Thank you, Chirimoya.

I would be teaching at the school and going to different students as well is what I've been told. However, he did assure me that most students choose to come to the school.

I've been teaching, but truthfully, I haven't taught for a whole day, but I don't feel like 6 hours would be that long, but of course, teaching can be extremely draining.

I've just recently applied at a few bilingual schools, so I'm waiting to hear back, so we'll see about that. It would be nice to work at a bilingual school though.

Thanks so much for your insight!

Is the teaching in one location, or do you have to move around to go the student(s)? Either way, 30 hours a week teaching English is fairly intensive, and for under US$700 per month it's not going to feel worth it. Even if you get the RD$10,000 studio, once you've covered food there's going to be precious little left over to enjoy what the city and the country have to offer.
You could probably get a better paid job teaching at a private bilingual school, and have time and energy left to do some after hours tutoring/English teaching.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good luck with the bi-lingual schools - they really are your best bet. You could send a Private Message to DR1 poster Scandall who works at one of the nicest ones.

As for the English teaching - do be cautious. Often what you're told before arriving is designed to hook you in and not necessarily that close to the reality. Moving around the city to students' homes and workplaces will be exhausting and time-consuming, especially if you take public transport (conchos and guaguas). A one-way taxi ride costs RD$160 - a good chunk of your hourly rate.

When I first moved here, I'd accepted a Santo Domingo-based posting (not an English teaching job) and was told upon arrival that the base had changed to a small town in the interior. I had the choice of accepting or turning on my heel and going back home.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Thanks so much, I will find Scandall on here and send him a message.

And I'll definitely take into account what you said about the job not being what it appears when I get there. Most likely, I would be taking conchos and guaguas, as I wouldn't have a car.

Good luck with the bi-lingual schools - they really are your best bet. You could send a Private Message to DR1 poster Scandall who works at one of the nicest ones.

As for the English teaching - do be cautious. Often what you're told before arriving is designed to hook you in and not necessarily that close to the reality. Moving around the city to students' homes and workplaces will be exhausting and time-consuming, especially if you take public transport (conchos and guaguas). A one-way taxi ride costs RD$160 - a good chunk of your hourly rate.

When I first moved here, I'd accepted a Santo Domingo-based posting (not an English teaching job) and was told upon arrival that the base had changed to a small town in the interior. I had the choice of accepting or turning on my heel and going back home.