going from La Romana to Santo Domingo

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
hey everyone
i'm going to the Dominican again this summer hopefully.. sometime in August. i have already been but that time it was with my high school so i ddin't have to do all this planning. me and my friend are going back to the village we were volunteering in and we have places to stay and everything.. but i don't know how the transportation thing is going to work. if we can get from La Romana to Santo Domingo someone could meet is.. but i'm not sure how 2 teenage girls would manage that. we could take a guagua.. but my parents want me to have everything planned out before i leave and there aren't any schedules for the guagua's. any advice?

Feb 7, 2007
Take SICHOEM express bus, leaves every 15-20 minutes.

Just ask for "parada de SICHOEM".

You will be dropped off at Parque Enriquillo in Santo Domingo.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And, meantime, learn the name of the country: Dominican Republic!

I realize you are just teenagers and do not know too much, but please learn the correct name, okay?

THIS IS AN AUTOMATIC MESSAGE GENERATED BY THE GRAMMAR POLICE, AND ACTIVATED BY THE USE OF "THE DOMINICAN" IN ANY SENTENCE REFERRING TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.

Cordially,

HB
Assistant to the Commandant of the Grammar Police

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
thanks, and sorry about that... i know that annoyes people but the teacher that organized it never called it the Dominican Republic.. ony the Dominican.. and she drilled that into everyone's heads.
and thanks for that... not knowing where/when bus' left was the only thing i didn't have organized and the only thing that my parents said i needed to have organized perfetly before i left.

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
is there a certain place where i need in La Romana.. or does the parada de SICHOEM leave from the airport/ will they allow big baggage?

Feb 7, 2007
The bus depot of Sichoem is at the entrance of La Romana from Santo Domingo, but I do not know if that is also the bus terminal for that line. That why I told you to ask for the Sichoem bus stop, "Parada de Sichoem". Don't take the small buses they stop everywhere, take the big airconditioned buses, those are express ones.

If you arrive to la Romana airport, you will need to take a cab to the city, because there is no public transport from there. The ride should not cost you more than 15 or 20 dollars at the most. But ask before you get in, so there are no surprises. Do you speak Spanish? The cab driver can take you to the bus stop.

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
Is there a bus that would be able to pick up passengers at the Airport in La Romana? This is where we require transportation from and want to avoid taking a cab.

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
Also another concern would be the cost of the buses so if anyone knew roughly how much it would cost that would also be a big help

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Unfortunately, you will find that buses and guaguas do not go to any of the airports in the DR, only private cabs. I'm not sure of the details, but it has to do with the sindicado of the taxi drivers having control of access to the airports. I have never flown into La Romana, but I think the terminal is pretty close to the highway, so theoretically you could hoof it there and flag down a guagua. Same in Puerto Plata. In SD and Santiago it would be quite a hike with luggage.

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
ok thanks. yeah the airport in La Romana is pretty close to the highway... but I;m going without adults, and my parents wouldn't let me just walk out to the highway with my baggage and everything.. i have to have everything arranged. but thanks anyway i appreciate it

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Sounds like you will have to use the private taxi then. First off, while the cab may accept dollars or euros, the bus will not, so you will need to get pesos. There should be both an exchange window and ATM machine at the airport. choose your poisen. The current rate is about 33 pesos/ US dollar. The parada for the bus is at the other end of La Romana from the airport, about a 10 to 15 minute drive depending on traffic. I'd guess about 400 pesos for the cab. The bus to SD will be about 200 per person, and it is about a 90 minute ride.

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
okay thanks. i think i'm getting pesos before i leave Canada, do i won't have to worry about that. and i might have a ride with the people i am living with now from La Romana to Santo Domingo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you get pesos before leaving Canada you will be taking a beating on the exchange rate. You can do this at the airport, much more to your advantage.

You really should ask one of your friends to meet you at the airport. For them it would be an adventure.

HB

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Hillbilly is definately not steering you wrong Carla (not that he ever does);)

You will have no problem getting pesos at the airport, and will get a decent rate. Exchange in Canada and you will be ripped off. Instead of 33 or 34/1, they will give you like 25.

In the past it was recommended that Canadians bring US dollars to get a better rate. I'm not sure if that applies any more since they are now so close in value, but I'm sure one of our Canadian frequent fliers could tell you!

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
okay . i'll get my pesos there then... and i think i will get someone to meet us there.. it would be better and easier for us anyway. thanks alot!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Right now US dollar is bringing close to 34 pesos and Canadian 32, but Canadian for US is almost even, so it looks like you would be better off to get US dollars in Canada before leaving and then exchange for pesos.