URGENT help needed to save our flock of sheep..

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
In the belief that all DR1 members who live here are willing to help out, I am posting this urgent request.. We have a flock of 64 sheep and, due to lack of rain for weeks, our grass is becoming non-existent. We will have to sell/ get rid of them all unless we can find a suitable place to move them to temporarily... can you help or do you know of someone that may have some spare grazing land for a short while? Obviously the fencing to restrain sheep has to be right and they need to be reasonably close to our finca here, just outside Sabaneta, for housekeeping purposes. Please reply if you know any solution to our problem. Thanks in advance.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Whirlybird,

Don't know if I can help. We have 3600 sq. meters of vacant, slightly overgrown land just down from us. Have half fenced with chain link, the other half with barbed wire that would need some reinforcing for sheep. Water on property, would need basin of some sort. No caretaker but can set up temp. living space in my place for yours if needed.

Regards, Ringo in Playa Chiquita/Sosua

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
In the belief that all DR1 members who live here are willing to help out, I am posting this urgent request.. We have a flock of 64 sheep and, due to lack of rain for weeks, our grass is becoming non-existent. We will have to sell/ get rid of them all unless we can find a suitable place to move them to temporarily... can you help or do you know of someone that may have some spare grazing land for a short while? Obviously the fencing to restrain sheep has to be right and they need to be reasonably close to our finca here, just outside Sabaneta, for housekeeping purposes. Please reply if you know any solution to our problem. Thanks in advance.
I have 50 acres on el Choco rd. I'm not sure if the fencing is acceptable. There is generally water in the pond. I don't live there so I can't guaranty security, but, your welcome to us it for as long as you need.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I am so sad whirleybird for you and your sheep. I know it is very dry. Our horses are in the same delemna, but we have a backup plan + hay. PLEASE RAIN!!!!
If there is anything I can do to help let me know. At this point and juncture in life I have become a very good fence mender and wireman. Have own tools.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirlybird,

Don't know if I can help. We have 3600 sq. meters of vacant, slightly overgrown land just down from us. Have half fenced with chain link, the other half with barbed wire that would need some reinforcing for sheep. Water on property, would need basin of some sort. No caretaker but can set up temp. living space in my place for yours if needed.

Regards, Ringo in Playa Chiquita/Sosua

Wonderful offer from you and thank you - if we can find somewhere 'closer to home' it will be preferable as we don't really have the resources to send a caretaker but will bear your generous offer in mind, thank you.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have 50 acres on el Choco rd. I'm not sure if the fencing is acceptable. There is generally water in the pond. I don't live there so I can't guaranty security, but, your welcome to us it for as long as you need.

Tom thats a great offer - only problem is the possibility of "disappearing" sheep.... if the grass is good and untouched up there, how would you feel about our workers cutting some and bringing it back here to feed our flock? Would this be viable and how far is your finca from us along the El Choco track?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am so sad whirleybird for you and your sheep. I know it is very dry. Our horses are in the same delemna, but we have a backup plan + hay. PLEASE RAIN!!!!
If there is anything I can do to help let me know. At this point and juncture in life I have become a very good fence mender and wireman. Have own tools.

We will find a way and be assured we will not let them die whatever, we have had extra hay and food but our vet says it is not enough as they are not getting the necessary iron from fresh grass.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
whirleybird, is there not something about sheep nibbling off their own grass? The way that their mouths and teeth work? (Many years ago many countries ago!) Sheep need shorter grass than cows or cattle to nibble on?

Is it not worth while to throw some alfalfa seeds down? and irrigate a little? While you supplement with whatever you can get? You'll have some green coming up out of the earth in about 30 days.

Anyone with lawns on the North Coast? Big hotels? Sheep do really well on traditional lawns. You don't need to mow, I'm sure Whirleybird will clean up the sheep sh!it. But people, let's feed these animals!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
whirleybird, is there not something about sheep nibbling off their own grass? The way that their mouths and teeth work? (Many years ago many countries ago!) Sheep need shorter grass than cows or cattle to nibble on?

Is it not worth while to throw some alfalfa seeds down? and irrigate a little? While you supplement with whatever you can get? You'll have some green coming up out of the earth in about 30 days.

Anyone with lawns on the North Coast? Big hotels? Sheep do really well on traditional lawns. You don't need to mow, I'm sure Whirleybird will clean up the sheep sh!it. But people, let's feed these animals!

You are, of course, absolutely right Chris in saying that the sheep eat the shorter grass - biggest problem is that they will eat everything else that grows in a garden too!!! No-one seems to want either sheep or goats around... no prob with the clearing up of sheep **** though. Will look into the idea re afalfa seeds though as we can irrigate small areas, thank you.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Chris,

Not that I'm an expert. But my father had over 80 head of sheep that I helped with. lol

Sheep nibble down to the ground and keep the area very well manicured. Without water and pasture rotation, the grass does not have the time to re-grow. The sheep herder is left with a barren plot of land that will not recover unless it is helped via re-seeding, water and time.

No need to clean up sheep sh!t. Good for the soil and plants within a short time. Sheep sh!t is dry pellets that do not smell as does cattle... leavings.

Sheep will stay in an area when they have the Alpha ewe or ram, water and food. They will spook, scatter and run if threatened. They will roam a short distance if they find better grazing, normally not to far.

It must be late, I'm posting too much.

Regards, Ringo

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Re grazing. Sheep are glutons. They will eat just about anything. If the area has to much clover, rich green, or fiberous fodder, they will eat it. Problem may develop that they can not digest it properly and they "bloat". Gasses build up and extend the stomach and if not relieved, they die. Very simple to cure IF you have the right tool to pierce into the upper stomach area and relieve the gas and pressure. (Not difficult if you know how, but not a pleasant smell.)

Do you want to know about assisting with lambing Chris? Class 104? A hint: Role up one shirt sleeve to the shoulder and lub...

OK, back to finding pasture and water for Whirleybirds sheep.

Ringo.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ringo;622784Do you want to know about assisting with lambing Chris? Class 104? A hint: Role up one shirt sleeve to the shoulder and lub...[/quote said:
Been there done that. Twins ..

How are we going to find pasture and water for Whirleybirds sheep

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirleybird.

Find pasture and water for your sheep yet?

Hoping, Ringo

One of the biggest problems seems to be secure sheep-proof fencing and/ or supervision to prevent stealing... we are hoping that possibly Camden Tom will have enough grass that we can cut it and feed it to the sheep here but I am awaiting his reply. Thank you for your concern.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
One of the biggest problems seems to be secure sheep-proof fencing and/ or supervision to prevent stealing... we are hoping that possibly Camden Tom will have enough grass that we can cut it and feed it to the sheep here but I am awaiting his reply. Thank you for your concern.

Check your PM

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Whirleybird Oh do I feel for you! The nearest property we OWN is 5 lush acres in Arkansas! I seriously doubt that would help you but I can relate to the issue of drought (now the US is going through massive swings from drought to floods). Ringo's and Chris's suggestions are very useful. One caution (and I'm far from an expert) based on what I was told via the OSU (Oregon State Univ) sheep experimental station where we used to go every year to watch the lambing is that alfalfa is HIGH in estrogrenic properties. The nutritional studies that OSU performed showed that it can promote uterine prolapse so if you are using these sheep for breeding (which I assume you replenish stock partially that way) you need to be careful about how much alfalfa they eat. Oregon is the ideal place to have sheep because of plentiful rainfall and diverse grasses. I rarely see sheep here so I'm interested in how things go for you. Please keep us informed.

San Pedro de Macoris has lots of open and green fields but I don't know who owns all of them and if I recall you are on the N Coast?

Good luck...maybe rainy season will come a bit early to answer your problem.
paz y salud,
DrChrisHE

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Whirleybird,
If you need more, PM me. You can cherry pick from 300 acres of overgrown land on the El Choco road.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hope so Rocky. Have sent Tom a message as nothing to really cut on his land and am awaiting a reply to a PM from Lee plus also hopeful that our friends can help with regard to the cutting of grass from many of the empty lots for sale in the area.