Interested in doing Volunteer work

DR eamer

Mar 21, 2008
Hello everyone,
I am from UK and like the rest of you have fallen in love with DR.
But before I sell up and arrive with a ton of tea to brew up under my palm tree...I would like to come over and live with the people and help out if I can as a volunteer. Have any of you any advice on this please.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I have a feeling that Dr eamer will be posting about the tea business he plans to start in the DR.:laugh:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hello everyone,
I am from UK and like the rest of you have fallen in love with DR.
But before I sell up and arrive with a ton of tea to brew up under my palm tree...I would like to come over and live with the people and help out if I can as a volunteer. Have any of you any advice on this please.

A moderator should split this off onto a new thread. If you have a specific skill you may be able to find a placement with an organisation like this one:

http://www.ciir.org/

They are British-based and send volunteers to the DR. They don't appear to have vacancies in the DR right now but there's no harm in contacting them to ask if something is coming up.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Not so rushed this time........

There's Crossroads close to Sosua. check the website Home

Just wanted to elaborate on my post, I was in a rush earlier (still am now)

I had a great experience with Crossroads. For a small fee every week (I believe around $30)
You have a place to sleep, food provided (3 meals a day), and a place to do our laundry (for free I believe) Even free rides (depending if someone's leaving the area) into the city.

You would be building houses, playing with the children, helping out at the school there, and helping with the fair trade co-op that's there for the women of the village.

All of the people who live in the village speak Spanish, but some of the adults speak Creole.

I can't really think of anything else right at this moment, but PM me if you want more info on the project there.

DR eamer

Mar 21, 2008
Hey you guys...thank you for your help so far...I'm off to work now, but will be back on later with a few questions...you will all probably batter me..lol

DR eamer

Mar 21, 2008
Ok..I'm female.... the kids have left the nest...the divorce is done and dusted...And Wow...Here I am.... ready to do all the things on the bucket list!
Yes fell in love with DR and it's people. and am seriously thinking about coming over.
Would love to do some volunteer work, get to know the place, make some friends...and then decide. Of course I'm ready to listen to all points of view..woman on her own..is she nuts...definately!..but Hey

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Ok..I'm female.... the kids have left the nest...the divorce is done and dusted...And Wow...Here I am.... ready to do all the things on the bucket list!
Yes fell in love with DR and it's people. and am seriously thinking about coming over.
Would love to do some volunteer work, get to know the place, make some friends...and then decide. Of course I'm ready to listen to all points of view..woman on her own..is she nuts...definately!..but Hey

There is nothing crazy about a woman wanting to volunteer on her own in the DR. I should know...I did it last month ;) I ended up volunteering at an orphanage in Gazcue and teaching English at a local school.

It really depends on what you passion is, what you want to do and what skills you have. There are tonnes of great organizations in the DR that would love some help so do your research and go from here.

If you have any questions for me, feel from to PM me. GOOD LUCK!

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I volunteer with an organization called Orphanage Outreach ...located in Monte Cristi ...most of the program focuses on teaching English and doing work with kids in poorer communities ...there is some medical work too ...check out the web site @ orphanage-outreach.org or PM me.

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
TK,
I hope you stil are there.
Can you give me the address in P.P.
I am an R.N. with over 30 years.

Aug 21, 2007
I work with Dominican Crossroads in a volunteer capacity about 30 hours per week. I work with their medical mission. We are in need of a nurse to help with our rehabilitation center, working with patients who have been released from the hospital after surgery, but are not ready to return to their home environment. The person we are looking for needs to speak Spanish. French would also help. The person needs to be dependable, flexible, and available when needed.

Many ex-pats here in the Dr are happy to give volunteer time, but they want it to work within their retirement plans. I understand that. Unfortunately, this position might require someone who is willing to dedicate more.

If you are that person, feel free to PM me and I can give you more information and put you in contact with the right people.

Lindsey

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
Lindsey,
Hi. I been E-Mailing Jana. She has a few ideas of "what to do with me"
I am open to most anything.
By the way i am not in retirement !!!!!!!! Far from it.
I am fluent in Spanish. And i am dependable, flexible, and available when needed.
My motto is "Whatever it takes"
I will be moving to the DR soon.
Are you in the DR now?
E-mail me, i would like to know the daily routine.

Thank you,
Howard

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Blanca, best not to post your e-mail address on a public forum. Use the Private Message function.

Aug 21, 2007
Lindsey,
Hi. I been E-Mailing Jana. She has a few ideas of "what to do with me"
I am open to most anything.
By the way i am not in retirement !!!!!!!! Far from it.
I am fluent in Spanish. And i am dependable, flexible, and available when needed.
My motto is "Whatever it takes"
I will be moving to the DR soon.
Are you in the DR now?
E-mail me, i would like to know the daily routine.

Thank you,
Howard

Sent you an email, Blanca.

Lindsey