Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yerba Mate lovers, good news.

Now Yerba Mate (south american tea) is available in supermercado Nacional for only 109 pesos plus tax. Its a huge bag 500g (17.6 oz). I know for fact, someone will be very happy to hear this news on DR1.
    My frienf from Uruguay says, all the people who drink Yerba mate regularly, never suffer from colon cancer. Nice, I think I will try it.

AZB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you drink it warm or even cold not HOT.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't boil the water. You'll ruin it.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Not drinking it hot because of this.....nothing to do with flavor.

After adjusting for the strong effects of tobacco and alcohol consumption, both heavy mate drinking (>1 l/day) and self-reported very hot mate drinking were significantly associated with esophageal cancer risk in men and women.
    Influence of mate drinking, hot beverages and diet...[Int J Cancer. 2000] - PubMed Result

Maté amount and temperature were observed to have independent effects and, although no departure from multiplicativity was observed between the two covariates, those drinking more than 1 liter/day of maté at a very hot temperature had a 3-fold increase in risk (OR, 2.95; 95% CI, 1.30-6.74) compared with those drinking less than 0.5 liter/day of maté at a warm to hot temperature.
    Maté consumption and the risk of squamous cell eso...[Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003] - PubMed Result

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool, it's good to see mate being sold in DR. I normally drink it 2-3 times a week, it's a custom I developed after traveling to Argentina.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

many people in south Brazil drink it with hot water like tea and no such studies there show it contributes to esophageal cancer. In fact its commonly known in those areas that the colon cancer is almost unheard of among people who drink mate regularly, even though, these folks consume high amount of red meat.
    AZB

Miami Nice!
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, AZB...finally a thread that makes sense from you!!!

Mate is GREAT for a few hundred things...like you mentioned, colon cancer, to lower your cholesterol, for keeping you fit...etc...

Uruguayans and Argentinians are the most known drinkers of this 'tea'...although we do not drink it as tea...but from the actual 'mate' which is a pumpkin-like plant, which people clean and use as the container to put the 'yerba' in...

This may sound disgusting to most of you, but in general people in the countries I mentioned share a 'bombilla' or straw made of metal (usually sterling silver believe it or not)

They put hot water into the receptacle where the yerba is and drink it from this 'straw'...

http://www.physics.ucsd.edu/~dzocco/other/mateypava.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.gk1music.com/MateUruguay.jpg/MateUruguay-full.jpg

Good to see more and more people are learning some of our own customs as well...

Drink up!!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Musicqueen View Post
    This may sound disgusting to most of you, but in general people in the countries I mentioned share a 'bombilla' or straw made of metal (usually sterling silver believe it or not)
    I remember the first time I drank mate, it was with a large group and they were distributing it amongst each other, and I wasn't shocked. I could see perhaps some people might not like it, also they might not be open to getting kisses on both cheeks, or even one.

I noticed that in DR people don't greet that way and it sometimes it catches them by surprise !

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

In morocco the guys kiss each other on cheeks (both). I had to do it too .
    My brazilian friend gave me the metal straw and the tea holder which is made from a hard shell Iguero (spelling?). I was introduced to mate by Mr. lu in capital. At first i didn't like it but I guess I would have to get used to it somehow. I bought a bag last night, lets see if I will make use of it this weekend.
    AZB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw this tea drinking process for the 1st time a few months ago. I thought this girls boss was just a health nut by pushing this stuff on her and did not understand why she just didn't boil it up like regular tea. Now i get it. Hope i did not insult her for not wanting to try any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast