Yerba Mate lovers, good news.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Now Yerba Mate (south american tea) is available in supermercado Nacional for only 109 pesos plus tax. Its a huge bag 500g (17.6 oz). I know for fact, someone will be very happy to hear this news on DR1.
My frienf from Uruguay says, all the people who drink Yerba mate regularly, never suffer from colon cancer. Nice, I think I will try it.

11ifm1s.jpg

AZB

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Not drinking it hot because of this.....nothing to do with flavor.

After adjusting for the strong effects of tobacco and alcohol consumption, both heavy mate drinking (>1 l/day) and self-reported very hot mate drinking were significantly associated with esophageal cancer risk in men and women.

Influence of mate drinking, hot beverages and diet...[Int J Cancer. 2000] - PubMed Result

Mat? amount and temperature were observed to have independent effects and, although no departure from multiplicativity was observed between the two covariates, those drinking more than 1 liter/day of mat? at a very hot temperature had a 3-fold increase in risk (OR, 2.95; 95% CI, 1.30-6.74) compared with those drinking less than 0.5 liter/day of mat? at a warm to hot temperature.
Maté consumption and the risk of squamous cell eso...[Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003] - PubMed Result

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Cool, it's good to see mate being sold in DR. I normally drink it 2-3 times a week, it's a custom I developed after traveling to Argentina.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
many people in south Brazil drink it with hot water like tea and no such studies there show it contributes to esophageal cancer. In fact its commonly known in those areas that the colon cancer is almost unheard of among people who drink mate regularly, even though, these folks consume high amount of red meat.
AZB

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Wow, AZB...finally a thread that makes sense from you!!! :):):)

Mate is GREAT for a few hundred things...like you mentioned, colon cancer, to lower your cholesterol, for keeping you fit...etc...

Uruguayans and Argentinians are the most known drinkers of this 'tea'...although we do not drink it as tea...but from the actual 'mate' which is a pumpkin-like plant, which people clean and use as the container to put the 'yerba' in...

This may sound disgusting to most of you, but in general people in the countries I mentioned share a 'bombilla' or straw made of metal (usually sterling silver believe it or not)

They put hot water into the receptacle where the yerba is and drink it from this 'straw'...

http://www.physics.ucsd.edu/~dzocco/other/mateypava.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.gk1music.com/MateUruguay.jpg/MateUruguay-full.jpg

Good to see more and more people are learning some of our own customs as well...

Drink up!!! :)

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
This may sound disgusting to most of you, but in general people in the countries I mentioned share a 'bombilla' or straw made of metal (usually sterling silver believe it or not)

I remember the first time I drank mate, it was with a large group and they were distributing it amongst each other, and I wasn't shocked. I could see perhaps some people might not like it, also they might not be open to getting kisses on both cheeks, or even one.

I noticed that in DR people don't greet that way and it sometimes it catches them by surprise !

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
In morocco the guys kiss each other on cheeks (both). I had to do it too :(.
My brazilian friend gave me the metal straw and the tea holder which is made from a hard shell Iguero (spelling?). I was introduced to mate by Mr. lu in capital. At first i didn't like it but I guess I would have to get used to it somehow. I bought a bag last night, lets see if I will make use of it this weekend.
AZB

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I saw this tea drinking process for the 1st time a few months ago. I thought this girls boss was just a health nut by pushing this stuff on her and did not understand why she just didn't boil it up like regular tea. Now i get it. Hope i did not insult her for not wanting to try any.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
for starters, you can mix the mate "leaves" with tea and have it drained the old fashioned way, on a tea pot. It works great when going to high altitudes and also is a great diuretic...
mate is a social thing for argentinians and uruguayans, when being offered to share their mate you can't say no, unless you say you have a strong cold or tuberculosis...
they drink it all day long, you can see them walking all around with their thermos and packs...some drink it straight or you can add sugar....

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Also, some Moms give their kids 'mate con leche'...they serve it as tea and add hot milk to it...with some sugar, it's delicious!!!! Instad of coffee...which is more expensive and some people think kids shouldn't drink coffee anyway!!!

Oh, the memories!!!

Thanks, AZB... :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Update:
yerba mate is being sold for 69.95 pesos in jumbo. This is the same bag which is sold in supermercado nacional for 109 pesos.
Now I have been drinking yerba mate with warm water or simply cold. My take is that this is sort of like power drinks. I am more alert during the day, don't need my afternnon naps and I feel more energetic in gym.
So in simple terms, yerba mate = power, energy drink.
AZB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Update:
yerba mate is being sold for 69.95 pesos in jumbo. This is the same bag which is sold in supermercado nacional for 109 pesos.
Now I have been drinking yerba mate with warm water or simply cold. My take is that this is sort of like power drinks. I am more alert during the day, don't need my afternnon naps and I feel more energetic in gym.
So in simple terms, yerba mate = power, energy drink.
AZB

Does it help maintain the "equipment".

tambo'

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Does it help maintain the "equipment".

tambo'

Tambo, I think it does help with the Hydraulic system of a man's equipment, especially when taken in conjunction with lapela. the effects are amplified and works well when the effects of lapela are fading after a few days.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
you can use the same tea over and over again by adding more water to it.
AZB

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
Yup, I'm living here in Buenos Aires. Had Mate for the first time in December with my Boss who's from Uruguay, my wife and I. From the Instant sip, I got a fregin HEADRUSH and my wife and I couldn't sleep that night. Later in the week we decided to use the "SUAVE MATE" for the evening ritual. Lately it's been part of a nice rutual.

There is Mate with Orange flavor, Lime, and all types of strength. We tend to add a little bit of brown sugar before the Hot water. Some Argentines add ground coffee. (Hm...)

Take care.. Gotta go start the water.. cya!