Boy Was I wrong!! Runaway Niece...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
My 19 year old niece met a photographer in 2006' our first visit to DR, they hung out once in a while (she was 17 at the time) they kept in contact here and there, we went back again this past Christmas, once again they connected, she didn't spend much time with him, he worked a lot, he would meet up with us on occasion.

Nobody thought anything of it, and just this past week, she signed over her BMW to the parents, collected her last pay, and bought a ticket to DR. She leaves Monday morning..My daughter as of right now -will not speak to her, not because she is jealous or upset that she can't go with her, but because she thinks she is making a huge mistake, she is going down with limited funds, I mean maybe $1000 Ca. Her family will support her I'm sure once that is gone.

Is it better for her to get this out of her system, instead of wondering "what if" her whole life? At this time she doesn't have any responsibilities, no mortgages, no commitments, no children.NOTHING to hold her back, and her mind is so young that she can't comprehend that life is not easy, and you have to work at everything to make it successful.

I would love to pick up and just leave, start over, I often ask myself.." Am I the one going through life as spectator instead of being a player in the game?"

I suspect she will be in POP, as his family is from there!! and that's about all we know about him! I have given her all the information i could, everything i have learnt from this site, and have told told her there are some very supportive players and role models on this forum that will be able to help her if she has any questions or needs some help...

I'm feeling a little guilty and bummed out right now.. about all of this, Her parents may think I let the girls run wild and live it up in the DR, it was nothing like that, I was with them almost- 24/7..I'll keep you updated if anyones interested:bored:

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
i understand your concern for your niece and as much as you want to protect her and make sure that she's ok, sometimes we all just need to learn from our own experiences and mistakes (if this in fact ends up being one). at the end of the day it sounds like she has a great support system back home and she'll always have that to rely on and come back to. i hope everything works out for her.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I came down under somewhat similar circumstances in '00 and ended up staying and marrying a Domincan girl. We went to the States but have returned and live in Santiago. Also, the girl is an adult so people just have to accept her decisions more or less. I hope it works out for her.

Also, don't hesitate to ask for contact info, such as cell numbers, from some of the DR1 members who live here just in case she feels like she needs to talk to someone or whatever.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
You have nothing to feel guilty about. It was her choice, not yours.

She may be young, immature and/or spoiled. It sounds as if she is a bit of each. And if the parents are planning to send her money while she is over there, after just packing it in and taking off with some guy they have never met, that is between them, not you.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Turning in a BMW for a gua gua at 19. Talk about a reality slap. Timing tells me that coming from Canada October would be the time i made a move. But then again seems she is going on emotion and not thought. Hopefully she finds a job that has air con. I doubt they have weeks on end of 100 degree heat index days during the summer in the Great White North.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I have to thank all of you for expressing your your thoughts means a lot to me and I feel better already.

I just worry that she will end up expecting (with child) within the first month, Again this is a girl that was born with a silver spoon and has no idea of responsibilities or commitments, Is this boy a sanky? I have no idea, I don't mean to sound shallow, But my Niece is stunning, this boy she has given everything up for, is a great kid and a hard worker, but he is chubby(not that there is anything wrong with being chubby), kind of goofy, clumsy...just not the type of kid she would date in Canada..to her he is special, and she feels she needs to be with him, I too hope it works out for them!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh this will not get any better... Folks, keep a watch out for this girl....

You have to wonder how stupid can you get....

But, she's a big girl who will get a real quick lesson in "things Dominican!"

HB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No te preocupes tanto.....

Lapurr:

The damage is already done and you have nothing to feel bad about.

Young people do NOT think the same way we old farts do.

SOME of us learn from our mistakes and I can guarantee you she WILL learn from this mistake.

An accident waiting to happen....YES.......An accident she will NOT repeat again....only if she is strong and learn from her mistakes.

At times we NEED to be slapped REEEEEAL hard in order to learn from our mistakes.....Life WILL slap her real hard. PROMISE!.

Time WILL tell.

Btw: SOMEHOW, SOMEONE SHOULD make that guy know/understand that she is NOT alone and that she HAS people who WILL defend her at any cost!...DO NOT let that "wolf in cheap clothing" think that she is ALL alone!.

Actually, send me a PM with his phone number and I PROMISE you I WILL call him and make him aware that she is NOT alone. I will pretend I am a family member!.

TRUST me, telling a Dominican: "If you hurt my relative, I WILL hop into a plane and I WILL make you pay 10 folds for what you did to her" is NOT a problem for me......Been there, done that and I have the t-shirt that says "TRY ME, AXXHOLE" to prove it.

PLEASE, MAKE MY DAY!!.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Lapurr:

The damage is already done and you have nothing to feel bad about.

Young people do NOT think the same way we old farts do.

SOME of us learn from our mistakes and I can guarantee you she WILL learn from this mistake.

An accident waiting to happen....YES.......An accident she will NOT repeat again....only if she is strong and learn from her mistakes.

At times we NEED to be slapped REEEEEAL hard in order to learn from our mistakes.....Life WILL slap her real hard. PROMISE!.

Time WILL tell.

Btw: SOMEHOW, SOMEONE SHOULD make that guy know/understand that she is NOT alone and that she HAS people who WILL defend her at any cost!...DO NOT let that "wolf in cheap clothing" think that she is ALL alone!.

Actually, send me a PM with his phone number and I PROMISE you I WILL call him and make him aware that she is NOT alone. I will pretend I am a family member!.

TRUST me, telling a Dominican: "If you hurt my relative, I WILL hop into a plane and I WILL make you pay 10 folds for what you did to her" is NOT a problem for me......Been there, done that and I have the t-shirt that says "TRY ME, AXXHOLE" to prove it.

PLEASE, MAKE MY DAY!!.

Please add that she has other people living here on the North Coast that are friends of her. It would be a good idea if the OP got in touch with someone on the North Coast to establish a contact point for her. I'm available but am here in Santiago.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Chip thank you, i do have 2 contacts, and she has contact cell phone numbers-Hammerdown i have known for many years and lives in Caberete and another friend in Sosua, these are in case of Emergency only.

Where is Moca? is it far from caberete, i'm just learning this is where she will be heading.

I have taken Miguel up on his offer to make the call, I think this is a good idea, I think he should know she is NOT alone.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chip thank you, i do have 2 contacts, and she has contact cell phone numbers-Hammerdown i have known for many years and lives in Caberete and another friend in Sosua, these are in case of Emergency only.

Where is Moca? is it far from caberete, i'm just learning this is where she will be heading.

I have taken Miguel up on his offer to make the call, I think this is a good idea, I think he should know she is NOT alone.
Moca is a 20 minute drive due East of Santiago, in the Cibao Valley.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Feliz Navidad, To Meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!.

Feliz Navidad....Feliz Navidad....Feliz Navidad, prospero ano y felicidad.....CHRISTMAS CAME EARLY FOR ME!!!!.

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!!!!. YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!.

Thaks for the PM....Send me the info when you are ready.....AND....

Thanks for making my day.

What have I done to deserve ALLLL this happiness?.

Shyt, I am so happy I am about to cry!!!!!!!!!!!. Booooo hooooo!!!.

There's a God!!.

Ooooooh the insanity!!.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007

good call! i think its a great idea and i think its excellent that miguel is willing to help out. KUDOS!

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Lapurr

I think it is awesome the help that has been offered here from the DR1 crew. Although your niece is old enough to make her own decisions, only time will tell how all turns out. Let me say that I wish her the best. This post goes to show that even though something may happen to someone who post's on here, that there are those on here who are truly caring and remarkable people who will "be there" when someone needs help. I do not have to name names I am sure all know who they are. Please keep us posted and again best of luck to you and your niece.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Wow, Moca you say. Nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. I should be through there on the 16th of April if she needs a ride to the airport. Been shaking my head for the past 20 minutes trying to figure out if she really knows what is in store for her.

A BMW and a paycheck in Canada is paradise compared to gua guas to and from the call center ( if lucky enough to find one ) just to feed the host family. I hope she knows the beach is more than an hour away.

domicanita

Mar 7, 2007
I think it is awesome the help that has been offered here from the DR1 crew. Although your niece is old enough to make her own decisions, only time will tell how all turns out. Let me say that I wish her the best. This post goes to show that even though something may happen to someone who post's on here, that there are those on here who are truly caring and remarkable people who will "be there" when someone needs help. I do not have to name names I am sure all know who they are. Please keep us posted and again best of luck to you and your niece.

I agree, I am really touched to read about the willingness of people to help this girl out. I hope that she will wake up and smell the coffee soon, without a bun in the oven. Rocky, Chip and Miguel thank you for the kindness, concern and willingness to help. You have make this aunt feel a bit better about the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.