Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Speaking of cheap mechanic.

The mechanic spent 2 days working on my car's front end suspension. left the car there at 3pm yesterday and he just brought me the car at 5:30pm today. I was there to inspect the work this afternoon (twice). all good work. Changed 2 shocks, changed all the bushing, in fact, sent out the bushing to be made (custom) to be stronger than the ones they had there, the brake pads in the front, cleaning the cylinders in brakes, changed the dust covers on a few places (drive shafts), changed to 2 ball joints, changed some more steering rods and connectors, did work in the rear wheels. It was a huge job that was time consuming. It was all due for many years on my small tercel. The labor for all that work was: 1200 pesos (like 35 dollars). the car was delivered to me in my office. I will pay the parts tomorrow, its a separate bill in the parts store. the owner is my friend too.
    what a country.
    AZB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I would venture to guess that job, here, in California, would have been ten times that much, just for the labor.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a bargain to me.

Should last you at least another 10 months on these roads....if you're careful.
    I never ceases to amaze me just how resourceful the mechanics here are I am sure they could repair just about any car given enough time and the right wrench.

Skippy

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default With that type.....

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    The mechanic spent 2 days working on my car's front end suspension. left the car there at 3pm yesterday and he just brought me the car at 5:30pm today. I was there to inspect the work this afternoon (twice). all good work. Changed 2 shocks, changed all the bushing, in fact, sent out the bushing to be made (custom) to be stronger than the ones they had there, the brake pads in the front, cleaning the cylinders in brakes, changed the dust covers on a few places (drive shafts), changed to 2 ball joints, changed some more steering rods and connectors, did work in the rear wheels. It was a huge job that was time consuming. It was all due for many years on my small tercel. The labor for all that work was: 1200 pesos (like 35 dollars). the car was delivered to me in my office. I will pay the parts tomorrow, its a separate bill in the parts store. the owner is my friend too.
    what a country.
    AZB
    of front end work, don't forget to have an alignment. Also, if your front tires are old/worn, replace them before you get it aligned. And, I realize that with those crater size holes in the D.R. an alignment may not last long, but with the work you describe it is an absolute necessity.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy1 View Post
    I never ceases to amaze me just how resourceful the mechanics here are I am sure they could repair just about any car given enough time and the right wrench.
    Yeah, along with some glue, sticky tape and some string. :-)

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

They do a great job at fixing the more popular cars but I wouldn't take a newer BMW to a street mechanic. They just don't have the skills or sense of quality when it comes to repairs. Plus they don't have the right tools to do the job the right way.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The work is simple, screwing in components and bolting them in etc. There is no rocket science involved in front end work. I was there to watch over the mechanic to see if he forgets to put in some bolts and may left over with a handful of screws and bolts. hahaha. This did not happen, thanks god.
    Today i will buy new tires and get the car realigned. I should be all set for a few months, if not years.
    AZB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    They do a great job at fixing the more popular cars but I wouldn't take a newer BMW to a street mechanic. They just don't have the skills or sense of quality when it comes to repairs. Plus they don't have the right tools to do the job the right way.
    I agree, do take your corollas, camrys and hondas but expensive cars like german or volvos. Stick to more organized shops or dealers.
    AZB

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sosua/Cabarete/Puerto PLata

Probably not that cheap (non expensive) like the one in Santiago, but I can recommend a very solid and reasonable place in Sosua. Discovered them accidentally after having been taken big time on my Infinity by some other local shops.

They are located on a tiny side street away from eyes if you turn left from Pedro Clisante just before Europa Hotel and go all the way down. It will be on your left side. Big shop.

Russian owner and Russian mechanics.

Their advantages:

1. Manager/chief mechanic Sergei for many years had his shop in Russian Far East that is almost Japan and is very good with Japanese cars.

2. Unlike NA mechanics they do not "replace" a part right away, but first try to "repair" it if it will be cheaper.

3. They have very good connections to NA suppliers of used parts and usually get them delivered within 7-10 days. Sometime difference between OEM new parts and used part (high quality ) is huge. For instance starter for my Infinity is $380 OEM and $70 used one with warranty.

So, if the customer wants to save and willing to go for a used one - they can do it.

4. The owner is willing to invest in equipment and technology to keep improving quality of work.

5. Trying to earn their spot and good reputation in the market currently they offer very low prices.

In my opinion they defenitely are worth checking at least.

Just in recent days I witnessed them fixing correctly Mitsubishi Galant (alternator problem, ), Honda Element ( rear suspension), Toyota Echo (cooling and A/C). And exhaust system/ brake job on my Infinity.

Very hard working and responsible people. I can recommend them whole heart.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks AK74 for that information about your recommendation for a good mechanic. This must be my lucky day. On Saturday afternoon, my husband ended up at the mercy of a POP robber (in terms of what he charged to fix our Honda CRV). It was only a minor part that needed replacing but it cost us a fortune. We already knew we need a catalytic converter (or so we've been told), so I'm going to tell my husband to go see this guy you've recommended. Thanks again for the tip.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast