Hiring a Security Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I might have to do this, so I'd be interested in what opinions y'all could share.

Which is better, hiring a guard yourself, or hiring a company to do it?

We're in Jarabacoa, and have business assets to protect within a walled, gated, 1 acre compound, in a very nice area. The property is bordered on three sides by streets, one side by an empty lot, and across one street is a prominent Catholic high school.

There will be folks around during the day, but we're considering a guard for the evening.

What say ye?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I totally agree with Adrian on this. You avoid all the hassles of employee-management relations. "Leave the hiring to others.

And get some dogs, street dogs, to serve you too....No problem with salaries or holidays..

HB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I would agree with HB 100%. Dogs. Something has to wake up the guard.

Good luck, Ringo

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
They hired a security guard from a company at my apartment complex and when I came home one evening he tried to demand money from me.

That was his last day.

I hate dogs, but they get the job done that's for sure.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
As for the guards hiding? Yes. But first you have to wake up the guard.. dogs will. The guard will most likely not defend. He could fire some shots, but most likely will not give himself away. Cellphone or walky-talky that he can call HELP. Perhaps a "panic button" that will turn on lights of very loud noise... then he can hide.

Good luck, Ringo

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It must go by area. HB & adrianb know cobraboy's area so their advice would stand. It wouldn't be the advice I'd give for some of the more tourist oriented areas, knowing what we know about some of the security companies.........;)
In the area where I live in PP (well heeled Dominicans) those who have security guards have them as employees of the family & loyalty is engendered through family connection, good salary & knowing the employees for many years. In tourist areas many security companies rotate staff so the loyalty bit can be missing. But cobraboy has the advantage of a Dominican fiancee whose family may well know some guard companies personally & that makes all the difference.

Reactions: waytogo

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I would go for dogs any time. Here is the picture of the latest Great Danes born last night.
if7q0j.jpg

A proud grandma of 7!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OFF TOPIC BUT DO WHAT?

Are they pure (+/-) bred?>?
I wonder what a female GD and my half breed Tosa Inu would do?????

New race of major league doggies???

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with drtampa (how you doing, good friend.) those are Rotties. But I suggested street dogs cause they are yappier...hehehe

HB

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Watchmen vs. Dogs

...Which is better, hiring a guard yourself, or hiring a company to do it?...

I don't believe in watchmen.

A company would normally send you people you do not know. So by time several people know all about your business, belongings, habits, everything.
It's not unheard of that watchmen in this country are linked to gangs and work for them as spies.
Would a watchmen company be responsible for the damage that thieves, attackers do?
I don't think so.

A private employee would almost have to be a family friend, otherwise you'd have to deal with the 'oficina de trabajo' every few months.

Dogs are loyal.
Whatever you pay for a watchman will buy good dog feed and a lot of it.

Even 'viralatas' do a good job in alarming you.
Then you'd still have time to withdraw to secure rooms of the house or meet your 'visitors' well prepared...

BTW, strangely enough often watchmen are sick on the day of an attack.... ;)

m'frog

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Cobraboy, as well as all of us, are the only ones that has to make the decision and live with it.

My one "beach" doggie and one from Judys is a great combination. Some hakkels (sp?) at rare times but somehow was the right time. Attack anyone? I don't think so nor would I want my dogs to be over protective. Bark...yappy...YES. That is thier jobs and they are good at it. It IS MY JOB to get up and see what they are making a fuss over. It is a partnership and I work from my end also. Geeez.... to sleep a whole night. lol. I'd rather get up for a "false" bark then not get any at all. Love my doggies.

We have our jobs, Ringo

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
OFF TOPIC BUT DO WHAT?

Are they pure (+/-) bred?>?
I wonder what a female GD and my half breed Tosa Inu would do?????

New race of major league doggies???

HB

75% Great Dane, 12,5% Pit Bull and 12.5% Labrador. Very big, aggressive when needed and great with kids!!! And adorable!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hummm, maybe. I'll talk to the boss lady. Maybe we can find a "Novia" for Yoshi....
Go to google and look up Tosa Inu....see if you think they'd make a good match...

Yoshi is 2 now....the love of our household....

RE: OP's plight. It seems obvious that a combination will be needed and perhaps a contract with "bond" clauses covering indemnity in case of losses. Guard + yappy dogs....After all, he can sleep at home (Yeah right, during his "day" job!). I know Robert is good a making deals, so I am sure he will get something that fits his needs.

HB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Hummm, maybe. I'll talk to the boss lady. Maybe we can find a "Novia" for Yoshi....
Go to google and look up Tosa Inu....see if you think they'd make a good match...

Yoshi is 2 now....the love of our household....

RE: OP's plight. It seems obvious that a combination will be needed and perhaps a contract with "bond" clauses covering indemnity in case of losses. Guard + yappy dogs....After all, he can sleep at home (Yeah right, during his "day" job!). I know Robert is good a making deals, so I am sure he will get something that fits his needs.

HB
That's the direction I'm thinking. More research to do, contacts to make.

Matilda, do you have pics of momma and poppa doggies? I might be interested in one...:classic:. I'd like a pet as much as a guard dog.

drtampa, unfortunately, I decided the DR was not the right place for Jimmy and Timmy, the watch cats, so they're living happily with Col. Bruce.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I don't believe in watchmen.

A company would normally send you people you do not know. So by time several people know all about your business, belongings, habits, everything.
It's not unheard of that watchmen in this country are linked to gangs and work for them as spies.
Would a watchmen company be responsible for the damage that thieves, attackers do?
I don't think so.

A private employee would almost have to be a family friend, otherwise you'd have to deal with the 'oficina de trabajo' every few months.

Dogs are loyal.
Whatever you pay for a watchman will buy good dog feed and a lot of it.

Even 'viralatas' do a good job in alarming you.
Then you'd still have time to withdraw to secure rooms of the house or meet your 'visitors' well prepared...

BTW, strangely enough often watchmen are sick on the day of an attack.... ;)

m'frog
All good points.I'm hearing that Jarabacoa is a little more "safe" than other areas, a good thing, but who knows how long that will last. The local Policia El Jefe says that they are not welcome in his jurisdiction, for what that is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.