Fresh Milk in SD

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Just wondering where is the best place in SD to buy fresh milk? We have only been able to find UHT milk in the supermarkets we have been to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
In Brazil, many a long time ago but still applies. We had fresh milk everyday and it was put into an electric pasteruizer... every day. I would not drink "raw" milk or untreated milk products in the D.R. without it being treated OR know/inspect the dairy and the owners.

Sorry that I can not answer your question of where. Ringo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rica produces fresh milk, which is available from most supermarkets in the refrigerated dairy section. However, I stopped buying it years ago because it was often already off upon opening, even well before the sell-by date.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, on Gustavo Mejia Ricart is a place you can buy fresh milk.

If you take Nunez and drive east on Gustavo it's about 300-400m down on your left.
I can't remember the name, but they have a cow on a sign and the front of the small
shop is green. They sell fresh milk, cheeses, yogurt etc. It's a small family run business and it's good and cheap :)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Chiri and Robert?

Is the milk and products raw or pasturized in some way?

Thanks, Ringo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chiri and Robert?

Is the milk and products raw or pasturized in some way?

Thanks, Ringo

Pasteurized I'm assuming. I have brought and drunk milk from the place on Gustavo Mejia Ricart a few times and never had any ill effects.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The 'fresh' Rica milk sold in supermarkets is pasteurised.
For raw milk you'd have to go direct to the farm.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Fabulous - thank you!

I'll be popping in there on Monday for a dairy fix.

You have made our expat construction team very, very happy! :cheeky:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Nice to help people be happy and that they know what they are getting.

From some days of raw milk and shaking for butter. Ringo

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Raw milk is great but, unless you live on a farm or have a direct access to milk from a farm you've personally inspected, I would not consider it.
I own a dairy farm on the North Coast and luckily consume my own raw milk (butter, cream, yogurt, ...etc). I also sell the surplus to the local collectors and have seen the conditions the milk is handled. I can assure you that i would never drink a drop of my own milk once it leaves my farm.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Le Lecheria

Just got back from the diary 'Le Lecheria' . The milk is pasterised and fresh. The facilities looked very clean.

1 gallon of milk is RD$110. They also have soft cheeses and yoghurt.

The milk tastes great!

Thanks for the directions, Robert.