Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A trip down memory lane

For those of you that remember MAD Magazine, there is a feature in today's New York Times that you might enjoy. It is on Al Jaffee, the 93 year old artist that does (did?) all those wonderful fold ins for the magazine.

Fold-Ins, Past and Present - The New York Times

I hope that this brings back some memories....corny, poignant, sad, but memories...

HB

To make this DR related, I still mention MAD in some of my classes: Good Spy vs Bad Spy....which, BTW, are still seen on television!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Hillbilly. I remember Mad Magizine very well, introduced to me by my big brother back in the 1950s.

I ran across some old issues while cleaning out the attic recently. Needless to see, I stopped working for awhile and just perused the back issues. Of course the first time I did in each was refold the back cover.

While I didn't really "get" some of those folding political comments at the time, as I was sitting in the attic I began to realize what tremendous insight Al Jaffee had.

I also remember when Spy vs Spy was introduced. I forget the man's name now, but he arrived here from Cuba in 1959 as I recall. He was not allowed to publish his cartoons there and that only added to the validity of what he was saying through his art. It was also the reason his cartoon never had captions. At the time he was still learning English.

A thousand threads tie together the situation back in the 50s and the situation now. Also between the situation in Cuba at the time and some of the reasons why expats are looking to move to the DR now. The more thing chage the more things stay the same.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Alfred E. Neuman, ring a bell?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite was the Don Martin Dept. Hillbilly, what year were you born? I was born in '44, and I remember thinking that MAD was the coolest thing on the planet as a kid. - D

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Don Martin, Mad's Maddest Artist

Ernie Kovacs' Strangely Believe It
    "Although the moon is one fifth the size of the earth it is further away".
    "You can boil an egg in the waters of Lake Scarlatti on the island of Madagascar. Of course you have to heat the water first."

Bill Gaines' brainchild.

Post Thanks / Like

He He....long before you.

catcherintherye: I hope to God you saved those treasures!!!

Oh what memories....

In Spanish, I think only Mafalda comes close...to what was expressed in 'toons like MAD and Doonesberry(?)....and now Dilbert....

In the DR, we have Diógenes and Boquechivo in the Diario Libre....very good...

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I certainly did. I'll bring one down for you as a regalo.

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in, even though I'm a little younger. I used to read it in the seventies. As well as the fold-ins, Spy VS Spy, etc. I loved the movie parodies - and often read them well before I saw the actual movie - which made for an interesting perspective.

What, me worry?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I read them in the 80's. :-)

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up reading those in the early 70's up until the 80's as my younger brother was a real fan and collector of those as well as comic books. It is funny to think back of Alfred Neumann and all of the spoofs they did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast