A trip down memory lane

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For those of you that remember MAD Magazine, there is a feature in today's New York Times that you might enjoy. It is on Al Jaffee, the 93 year old artist that does (did?) all those wonderful fold ins for the magazine.

Fold-Ins, Past and Present - The New York Times

I hope that this brings back some memories....corny, poignant, sad, but memories...

HB

To make this DR related, I still mention MAD in some of my classes: Good Spy vs Bad Spy....which, BTW, are still seen on television!

Mar 2, 2008
Thank you, Hillbilly. I remember Mad Magizine very well, introduced to me by my big brother back in the 1950s.

I ran across some old issues while cleaning out the attic recently. Needless to see, I stopped working for awhile and just perused the back issues. Of course the first time I did in each was refold the back cover.

While I didn't really "get" some of those folding political comments at the time, as I was sitting in the attic I began to realize what tremendous insight Al Jaffee had.

I also remember when Spy vs Spy was introduced. I forget the man's name now, but he arrived here from Cuba in 1959 as I recall. He was not allowed to publish his cartoons there and that only added to the validity of what he was saying through his art. It was also the reason his cartoon never had captions. At the time he was still learning English.

A thousand threads tie together the situation back in the 50s and the situation now. Also between the situation in Cuba at the time and some of the reasons why expats are looking to move to the DR now. The more thing chage the more things stay the same.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
My favorite was the Don Martin Dept. Hillbilly, what year were you born? I was born in '44, and I remember thinking that MAD was the coolest thing on the planet as a kid. - D

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Don Martin, Mad's Maddest Artist

Ernie Kovacs' Strangely Believe It
"Although the moon is one fifth the size of the earth it is further away".
"You can boil an egg in the waters of Lake Scarlatti on the island of Madagascar. Of course you have to heat the water first."

Bill Gaines' brainchild.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
He He....long before you.

catcherintherye: I hope to God you saved those treasures!!!

Oh what memories....

In Spanish, I think only Mafalda comes close...to what was expressed in 'toons like MAD and Doonesberry(?)....and now Dilbert....

In the DR, we have Di?genes and Boquechivo in the Diario Libre....very good...

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Count me in, even though I'm a little younger. I used to read it in the seventies. As well as the fold-ins, Spy VS Spy, etc. I loved the movie parodies - and often read them well before I saw the actual movie - which made for an interesting perspective.

What, me worry? :D

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I grew up reading those in the early 70's up until the 80's as my younger brother was a real fan and collector of those as well as comic books. It is funny to think back of Alfred Neumann and all of the spoofs they did.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I remember reading MAD as a kid, but don't remember the fold-in. They are absolutely brilliant. Thanks HB.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Damn!!! MAD as a unifying agent for several generations of us!!! Yee Haw!!!

Doncha jus' luv the innernet????

HB