Sosua Town Water

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
What is the source of the Sosua town water? Some people say it's polluted river water. If so, I will dig a well for my new house. But since so many people seem to use the town water, I would like to think that it's not so bad. - D

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What is the source of the Sosua town water? Some people say it's polluted river water. If so, I will dig a well for my new house. But since so many people seem to use the town water, I would like to think that it's not so bad. - D
I do believe that we are supplied by the water plant out near Madre Vieja, which is of course, river fed, but whether that is so or not, it is true that we use the city supplied water, but not for cooking, washing fruits & veggies, nor for drinking.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I do believe that we are supplied by the water plant out near Madre Vieja, which is of course, river fed, but whether that is so or not, it is true that we use the city supplied water, but not for cooking, washing fruits & veggies, nor for drinking.

Do you think the plant has a purification system? - D

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Do you think the plant has a purification system? - D
I believe so, but I do not know that for a fact.
If you use a cistern, as we do, you can chlorinate your own supply, but despite doing that, I still do not drink it, nor wash fresh fruit & veggies, nor use it for cooking.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Even with digging a well, we've always heard that the underground water table was contaminated. So, anything that you do with water, before you drink it test it first ;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Even with digging a well, we've always heard that the underground water table was contaminated. So, anything that you do with water, before you drink it test it first ;)

I had some well water tested in Sosua and it was worse than the tap water. Do not drink anything but bottled water here. And only the major brands of bottled water.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003

I'm not interested in drinking it. But presently, we have well water in our condominium and it's fine for bathing, brushing teeth, etc. I visit from NY every month and have no problem adjusting to the quality of water.

So if the quality of well water is better than the town water, I'd opt for using that when we move into the new house. - D

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm not interested in drinking it. But presently, we have well water in our condominium and it's fine for bathing, brushing teeth, etc. I visit from NY every month and have no problem adjusting to the quality of water.

So if the quality of well water is better than the town water, I'd opt for using that when we move into the new house. - D
You might spend a fair bit on that well, only to find out it's worse than the city supply.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I had some well water tested in Sosua and it was worse than the tap water. Do not drink anything but bottled water here. And only the major brands of bottled water.

Interesting. When and by whom was the test done? - D

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Interesting. When and by whom was the test done? - D

The test was reliable, with proper equipment. It was done about 5 years ago. I would recommend testing any well water here yourself anyway.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are facilities for testing water: At the ISA (Superior Agriculture Institute), the PUCMM Biology Department in Santiago: Any of the Medical Laboratories that do blood tests and such in your area....

I, personally, would not touch Sos?a water...but I have not really looked into it all that much. I seem to have a marked prejudice against the water in any seaside town north or south...

HB

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
There are facilities for testing water: At the ISA (Superior Agriculture Institute), the PUCMM Biology Department in Santiago: Any of the Medical Laboratories that do blood tests and such in your area....

I, personally, would not touch Sos?a water...but I have not really looked into it all that much. I seem to have a marked prejudice against the water in any seaside town north or south...

HB
Why against a seaside town in particular? And by Sosua water, do you mean town water as opposed to well water? - D

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What if you have a water filter (Five Stages Osmosis) installed at your house/condo?
Helpful but does not resolve all problems and they are often expensive to buy and maintain.
Just better to use the bottled water where needed and tap water for all cleaning, washing, garden watering, etc.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What if you have a water filter (Five Stages Osmosis) installed at your house/condo?

Five years go when I tested the well water there was a Swiss guy with a large expensive house. He had brought an Osmosis system from Switzerland at what he said was $2,000 US. We tested his water also. It was almost equal to the Sosua water. Almost....

I never laughed so hard in my life. I am sure that your system will be better than his, as this guy had a few "issues".

My point is that you still need to test the water. HB seems to know where to go on this.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I had a whole house purification system installed 4 years ago. We drink from any tap in the house. Chorinator for the cistern, a couple of filters with water softener and UV light treatment.

Was a guy in Caberete that sold/installed systems but don't know if he is still around.

Sterling Labs in POP does water tests. Our water comes out 99.8% pure, better then U.S. tap water standards.

Regards, Ringo

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
I never laughed so hard in my life. I am sure that your system will be better than his, as this guy had a few "issues".

My point is that you still need to test the water. HB seems to know where to go on this.

By the time I got to this part "I never laughed so hard..." that was enough for me. I knew the water is not the best in the world but how bad is it? I'm beginning to think it is best to drink bottled water.

Rocky, Hi again and thank you for your input. ;);)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
By the time I got to this part "I never laughed so hard..." that was enough for me. I knew the water is not the best in the world but how bad is it? I'm beginning to think it is best to drink bottled water.

Rocky, Hi again and thank you for your input. ;);)

After these episodes I only drink bottled water. Even my dog got bottled water. The only one allowed to drink tap water was my ex wife.