Home Health Care in the DR

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I was wondering what people do in regards to home health care in the DR. I would assume that in most cases family takes care of the elderly. The situation that I'm dealing with is that my father in law is getting up there in age and is beginning to forget alot and repeats himself all day long. Physically he's in great shape but recently had a urinary problem. Right now he is in NYC and will be returning to the DR in a couple of days. He will be returning with his wife. I don't think she is capable of taking care of him for long periods. I would have family look after him if I could. Pretty much all his family is in NYC. I hope some one can steer me in the right direction. Thanks Jim P.S The location is Villa Mella in the capital

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is not a major source of employment in the DR. As you pointed out, it is mostly family.
There are nurses available for a few hundred a month. There are nuns available for about the same amount.
I am sorry that i cannot steer you to the right people in Santo Domingo, but I can assure you that they are there. Have your mother in law go to the local church and ask...

Also at the local hospital, she can ask for nurses that are looking for more work. These are not real RNs but wear the white uniforms and do basic stuff.

Good luck, you have a long road ahead.

HB