Taxi Drivers at the Airport and their Rates

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I just finished reading another post regarding different rates for goods and services for non-dominicans versus locals. After reading this, I had to post this thread to share my recent similiar experience:

During my last trip to Santo Domingo in February, I stayed for 22 days. I had a great time. Here is what happened. After being in the Country for 16 days, I checked out of my hotel and went to the airport. I used my normal taxi driver who shuttles me around and he charged me $25 one way. I know that the going rate is $30 - - I arrived at the airport at 5:30 AM and waited in line to check-in. Once I reached the check-in point, I inquired with the agent about changing my flight to stay in the city a few more days. After a brief check, I was able to change my flight and stay in SD for 6 more days. This took about 1 hour to wait in line and make my changes to the flight.

Now, I needed a taxi to take me back to the hotel. I went down stairs at the airport looking for a taxi but since it was so early in the morning, (6:30 AM) there were none on site.

I went back upstair in the airport to the Drop Off point for cars and taxi and figured I could grab a taxi that was going back to the Santo Domingo area. I found like 6 different taxts and each had a differnt rate. The rates ranged between $40 and $75. (Can you see where I am going with this?)

I was so upset because each of these taxi drivers was really trying to take advantage of me. You would think that at this time of day, they would really be glad to get a return fare back to Santo Domingo area. I told the first guy that if the rate is $40 then why is it that that the other guys down stairs only charge $30? - He was so stunned, that he offered to drive me for $30 - I told him to forget it.... Of course he followed me and begged me to change my mind. - I ignored him. I went to the next guy who pulled the same crap .... but his rate was more and so on and so on..... It just makes me so upset that these guys do this.

After about 15 minutes, I found an older guy who had this fairly decent car and he was dropping off other traverlers at the airport. He heard what was going on and he offered to drive me to my hotel for $25. The other taxi drivers were really upset with him and they were now trying to under-bid him. These guys were crazy because they were NOT part of the normal taxis that work out of the airport. These guys were just local taxi drivers who were dropping off travelers but were headed out. My guess is that they just thought that since I was a gringotraveler, that they could just get a few extra bucks from me.

Once I arrived at my hotel, I gladly paid the taxi driver $30 ($5 more than he asked for) and thanked him for being a decent guy.

Yes, I know that the taxis at the airport have a Base Rate for travel and they may even have surcharges for different night time travel, but this was clear that each of these guys was just trying to make a few extra bucks off what appeared to be a non-Dominican traveler.

:chinese: I'm a bit wiser now!

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Wow! Was it a last minute decision to stay in the country an extra week?

Couldn't you have done it over the phone or had your original driver just wait.

No pun intended just curious?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
if you act hard core with them you'll get a deal, trust me I lowballed these vultures plenty of times and even had a taxi drive me from JUAN DOLIO to la capital for $25. it can be done, your approach was perfect, IGNORE and watch the bargaining begin!

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Both of your comments are good. First, I tried calling the airline several times but they told me that had nothing available for the upcoming days at a reasonable price. So, with that I had to plan to depart. But once I arrived at the airport, the counter clerk was kind of enough to do some searching for me and found me a great rate. Yes, I stayed for nearly another week and the price was good. I only had to pay the change fee to the airline. My taxi driver who dropped me off was unavailable so I was at the mercy of the greedy taxi drivers who were at the airport on the day/time.

I tell everyone who travels and uses taxis to be weary of negotiated prices.
;)