Boogie boarding??

rantam

Mar 29, 2008
We will be at the Iberostar Dominicana the end of April and would like to go boogie boarding, we did do a little at the resort last August but there was not much for waves. Any ideas about where to do it and how to get there? I have read about some better area's but am not quite sure how doable it would be considering the locations and time it would take along with the expense. Thanks for any help!

Sponge_Rider

Mar 27, 2008
Playa grande is a bit of a trek from The Iberostar Dominicana.. On our first trip to the DR, I was pleased to see that they had "boogie boards" available. "Okay- there's waves!" I've been bodyboarding for over 20 years and was looking forward to it.. well, the boards they had weren't exactly top quality, the waves were less than barely ridable, AND they wouldn't let me paddle out to the reef to get any there. (I brought my own fins for my feet). Since then, I researched on what hotels are closest to actual waves, pack my own board to avoid the "one-hour" limit, and stayed at Secrets, The RIU Merengue in Puerto Plata (sliced my legs on the reef out in front of the gazebo, but it was fun), And this time we're heading to Sirenis Tropical- close to Playa Macao and Secrets- each of which have real waves that are unencumbered by the barrier reef or the reef is very close to shore (Secrets). But you might be able to get a taxi from the ID to Playa Macao- maybe 10-15 minute ride, and have the driver wait for a cupla hours since you may not find one for the return. Arrange to pay half up front and the rest when you get back. But a nice tip for his time is advisable. This is fine if you bring your own boards, since they probably won't be available at Macao and the resort probably won't let you take them! Some of the excursions will end up there for a bit, and they have boogie boards to frolic with as well.

Sponge_Rider

Mar 27, 2008
Yeah... that's why I named the spot "Razor's". I had been in for a few hours already and the tide was dropping and I hadn't noticed how shallow it really was... I noticed after that. I decided discretion being the better part of valor, I would head back in since I wasn't sure about the "locals" situation (sharks and such). It sure seemed like a long time before I got in, since I had to work my way over the deeper sections in the passes and constantly fight the trades and current. That and worrying what may actually be under there following me. It turned to not be too bad- it wasn't deep, but it was about 5 inches long and just seemed to bleed a lot more than I expected. Back on the beach I went to the Mens room and the Matron with the disinfectant took a look and just handed me the bottle. I used that to clean it up then kept applying it and no troubles. still have the scar, so I have a war story to tell.

rantam

Mar 29, 2008
rip tides? and thanks

Thanks for the info. I did read I believe about rip tides at Macao beach and that a man drowned there. Anyone know for sure about rip tides there??

Sponge_Rider

Mar 27, 2008
Rip tides can form in ANY beach situation, small waves or big waves. So I wouldn't think it is a major obstacle. If the waves are too large for comfort, then enjoy the spectacle and the beauty of a generally empty beach. OR- you can go into the lee of Punta Macao itself. Generally calmer, but some waves that are bboard friendly get around the corner. Not sure if they've started on that Marina project yet, so access may be tricky.
As with any other beach in the world- pay attention to conditions before going out.