I need 99% +, uptime Power and ADSL in DR

AltosTrader

Feb 25, 2008
Hello All. Currently I live in Australia. I have 99.99 % up time for both power and ADSL 2+2 (I think 2.4 MB/S). There is no such thing as a brown out here.
Exception would be a storm taking out HV transmission lines or transformer station. Happened in summer of 06.

My computers are on line 24/6 - if in the US time zone 24/5. My computers trade currencies automatically and I position trade also but this only requires maybe 10 minutes / day around 5 pm New York or 00:00 GMT.

Where, and /or how, in DR could I get this reliability ? I don't want the beach. I need at least 200 ft above sea level. I have seen what a Tsunami can do, then there is global warming and all of that serious stuff.

Any help dearly appreciated. Thanks to others who have responded to previous questions

AltosT

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello All. Currently I live in Australia. I have 99.99 % up time for both power and ADSL 2+2 (I think 2.4 MB/S). There is no such thing as a brown out here.
Exception would be a storm taking out HV transmission lines or transformer station. Happened in summer of 06.

My computers are on line 24/6 - if in the US time zone 24/5. My computers trade currencies automatically and I position trade also but this only requires maybe 10 minutes / day around 5 pm New York or 00:00 GMT.

Where, and /or how, in DR could I get this reliability ? I don't want the beach. I need at least 200 ft above sea level. I have seen what a Tsunami can do, then there is global warming and all of that serious stuff.

Any help dearly appreciated. Thanks to others who have responded to previous questions

AltosT
There's about as much chance of a Tsunami in your lifetime as winning the lottery, nevertheless, let's get to your internet connection.
I have with the phone company (Codetel/Claro) a reliable connection, such as you describe, but to take it one step further, you could do as my friend does in our condo complex, he also pays for internet from the cable company, in case the phone company's system goes down.
It is not automated, so someone has to make the switchover, if the need arises, as well, you will not get the speeds you describe, but you could get the "plan avanzado 2 = 1.5MB down/768kbps up

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Then come to Las Terrenas ;)
(we have power "most of the time")

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I am from Australia, living in the DR. I have more reliable power than you do. I have an inverter, a building generator and a small backup generator.

Internet works reasonably well although my ISP (codetel) has some outages. It is hard to get backup internet since they all go through codetel (even other providers).

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I don't want the beach. I need at least 200 ft above sea level. I have seen what a Tsunami can do, then there is global warming and all of that serious stuff.

This was quite amusing, I don't think you have been to DR much. What you mentioned would be absolutely the last thing you have to worry about !? :cheeky:

For a live system like what you described I can also suggest to have your setup in another place, you can have a machine running in your own country in a friend's/family's house. Then you can connect and monitor and manage via Remote Desktop Connection (RDC on Windows XP or other remote programs).

If you are really serious and can afford it you can also get a machine in an Internet Hotel or similar hosting providers that allow you a secure system with very high uptime which you can run your own programs from (and obviously manage remotely).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A good thing to get is a good UPS that won't let the power drop enough to lose the internet connection whenever the power is cutoff, however momentarily. This happens to me all of the time, even though the drop is mometarily and in fact does not cause any equipment to cut off, it is enough to lose the dsl internet. I believe another member of DR1 has a sine wave UPS that solves the problem, however it is expensive. His handle is SantiagoDR.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
A good thing to get is a good UPS that won't let the power drop enough to lose the internet connection whenever the power is cutoff, however momentarily. This happens to me all of the time, even though the drop is mometarily and in fact does not cause any equipment to cut off, it is enough to lose the dsl internet. I believe another member of DR1 has a sine wave UPS that solves the problem, however it is expensive. His handle is SantiagoDR.
A sine wave inverter is a lot more gentle on electronic and some electric equipment, than a regular somewhat square wave unit, but it has nothing to do with keeping your internet connection, as both have switchover times that may make the router reboot.
Some router power supplies have capacitors in them and are a lot less likely to reboot during switchover time, but a true UPS will resolve the problem 100%, as it runs on the batteries all the time and has no switchover.
Good brand UPS's will cost upwards of $400 US, but still a lot cheaper than a sine wave inverter.