Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No more carros publicos

It looks like a bigwig in the transportation sector here is proposing to do away with carros publicos in favor of "taxis populares". They propose to "retire" cars that don't meet the minimum specifications and pay the drivers a retirement fee and otherwise modify the existing cars to meet the new standards - basically a Dominican version of a checkered cab:

I wonder how far they get. I also wonder how they will get the paint to stick to all of that bondo, haha. See article titled "PROPONEN CAMBIAR EL CONCHO POR TAXI POPULARES" in the link below:

SANTIAGO30CABALLEROS.COM

I didn't last long...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Olvidalo!!!

Forgetaboutit!!.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Another April fools joke? it will never happen

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

LadyBird, why do you have a red square for reputation?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Great idea.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm...i dont know about this. for me, getting around in a publico that looked like it was just about to fall apart was part of the adventure of being in santo domingo though im sure having some standards in place would benefit everyone who takes them.

hehe...i remember falling through a seat in one publico!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

This would be such an improvement! Do we need to risk our lives with the doors falling off? with the windshields shattered? with the seats falling down? Bad enough that they squeeze seven people into a five passenger car..... but I have learned that if the front seat is empty, you can pay for two fares and have one seat all to your self.. altough I have yet to master the complicated route signs of "I will be making a right turn fifteen blocks down" ... but wow -- bring on those Checkers!!

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking them has been adventure... in the past. Having to dodge them... no lights, no signals, no horns and all that Mountainannie said plus more, would cut down on how many recks?

Replaceing 80% of them and having them have a drivers training and lic. and insurance would be....

Just dreaming of a safer place, but would lose the fun of driving. Never happen. Ringo

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys do know what today is, don't you?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default a'po Santiago 'ta hechando pa'lante e!

I for one have a funny feeling it could happen.
    The routes are closely controlled by the concho organizations which are ruled by strong leaders. If the leaders buy into it (pun intended) it will happen.
    But will it change much? Over time, I mean.
    Sure, for a year or so, people will not feel ashamed by being seen stepping out of or a brand spanking newly painted and and Nueba Yol style checkered carrito de concho... or well, call it then Taxi Popular. But then, will the service really be better? And the same price? Or will it just be a face lift?
    At the end of the day, the consumers will have to decide, either it won't happen all together or deteriorate back to business as usual as so many public transportation plans here have in the past or they will have to accept to PAY UP for the added comfort and safety. Desarollo doesn't come cheap.
    Isn't that a similar plan as the "Pollitos"? Well, look at them now... just as sorry an image as the once so exclusive Taxi Turistico or the up graded public bus system in la Capital implemented during Leonel's first, first term and left to rot by the Hipocrito administration (if it can be called that at all).
    If it's just an other one of these one shot deals with no ongoing backup... it will last just like road repairs here last... until the next rain (Good forbids, they may be using water colors ).

Eventually, all related to motorized traffic, will have to boil down to people becoming conscious of the fact that, conducir es un privilegio, no un derecho. As socially unjust this may sound, taking a motorized vehicle on the road creates a risk issue to others inside and outside the vehicle which needs to be backed up by sufficient secured economical means to reduce this risk to a minimum (vehicle safety) and a fair back up in case of damage caused by accident (real plain accident) to thirds. All this of course hand in hand with adequate legislation.
    But we are yet a loooong way from this concept, now aren't we.

... J-D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast