No more carros publicos

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It looks like a bigwig in the transportation sector here is proposing to do away with carros publicos in favor of "taxis populares". They propose to "retire" cars that don't meet the minimum specifications and pay the drivers a retirement fee and otherwise modify the existing cars to meet the new standards - basically a Dominican version of a checkered cab:

ic1o5l.jpg

I wonder how far they get. I also wonder how they will get the paint to stick to all of that bondo, haha. See article titled "PROPONEN CAMBIAR EL CONCHO POR TAXI POPULARES" in the link below:

SANTIAGO30CABALLEROS.COM

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
hmmm...i dont know about this. for me, getting around in a publico that looked like it was just about to fall apart was part of the adventure of being in santo domingo :) though im sure having some standards in place would benefit everyone who takes them.

hehe...i remember falling through a seat in one publico!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
This would be such an improvement! Do we need to risk our lives with the doors falling off? with the windshields shattered? with the seats falling down? Bad enough that they squeeze seven people into a five passenger car..... but I have learned that if the front seat is empty, you can pay for two fares and have one seat all to your self.. altough I have yet to master the complicated route signs of "I will be making a right turn fifteen blocks down" ... but wow -- bring on those Checkers!!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Taking them has been adventure... in the past. Having to dodge them... no lights, no signals, no horns and all that Mountainannie said plus more, would cut down on how many recks?

Replaceing 80% of them and having them have a drivers training and lic. and insurance would be....

Just dreaming of a safer place, but would lose the fun of driving. Never happen. Ringo

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
a'po Santiago 'ta hechando pa'lante e!

I for one have a funny feeling it could happen.
The routes are closely controlled by the concho organizations which are ruled by strong leaders. If the leaders buy into it (pun intended) it will happen.
But will it change much? Over time, I mean.
Sure, for a year or so, people will not feel ashamed by being seen stepping out of or a brand spanking newly painted and and Nueba Yol style checkered carrito de concho... or well, call it then Taxi Popular. But then, will the service really be better? And the same price? Or will it just be a face lift?
At the end of the day, the consumers will have to decide, either it won't happen all together or deteriorate back to business as usual as so many public transportation plans here have in the past or they will have to accept to PAY UP for the added comfort and safety. Desarollo doesn't come cheap.
Isn't that a similar plan as the "Pollitos"? Well, look at them now... just as sorry an image as the once so exclusive Taxi Turistico or the up graded public bus system in la Capital implemented during Leonel's first, first term and left to rot by the Hipocrito administration (if it can be called that at all).
If it's just an other one of these one shot deals with no ongoing backup... it will last just like road repairs here last... until the next rain (Good forbids, they may be using water colors :D).

Eventually, all related to motorized traffic, will have to boil down to people becoming conscious of the fact that, conducir es un privilegio, no un derecho. As socially unjust this may sound, taking a motorized vehicle on the road creates a risk issue to others inside and outside the vehicle which needs to be backed up by sufficient secured economical means to reduce this risk to a minimum (vehicle safety) and a fair back up in case of damage caused by accident (real plain accident) to thirds. All this of course hand in hand with adequate legislation.
But we are yet a loooong way from this concept, now aren't we.

... J-D

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
once the owners, and i mean the guys that own groups of carro publicos, realize that by spending 10% to fix up their junk that they can get 20% more in fare increases it will be a done deal. once the politicians are convinced and we know how that's done, they will vote in the fare increase, blaming it all on the public good. being the concerned good citizens that the owners are they will pass on 1% to the drivers. i drove my way through university in boston back in the 70's, drove taxi in miami, 10 years in the seat in key west, and stretch limos in NYC, i have seen it before. in boston you get your license from the hackney carriage bureau, hack board, as in horses...........so, with time things do improve, it is inevitable, key west is now getting new hybrid fords. 15 years ago in key west you rode in a beat up nissan sentra, and the 5$ ride has become 15$, no discounts for the poor, elderly or infirm. progress is a beautiful thing, when adequately legislated...............

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
LadyBird, why do you have a red square for reputation?

Gee ladybird, thanks a lot for giving me a negative feedback for my question.

> No more carros publicos 04-01-2008 08:32 PM Why aren't YOU red yet?

I guess you answered my question, above.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hehehe! now I get it. Yes adrianB, DOMINCAN BOY usually knows what he is talking about. It is just the rest of us that don't get it! :laugh:

It must be. That Dominican Boy and I have the same level of reputation here [2 yellow squares] means either I'm nowhere near as smart as I think I am or the reputation system isn't quite right.

Maybe I'll just start posting random links and smilies as well and see how I do. :)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It must be. That Dominican Boy and I have the same level of reputation here [2 yellow squares] means either I'm nowhere near as smart as I think I am or the reputation system isn't quite right.

Or the readership here is focused on something completely different ;) Or, like Robert said, it works just like Google. (I did not comment so as he could hear me ... ;) )

Maybe I'll just start posting random links and smilies as well and see how I do. :)

Oh dear, you want to compete with Dominican Boy? No way one can do that. He does not comprehend things the same way as most others but those that know him, give him a triple A for being 'good people'.

OK, anyone still wanting to say something about this April Fool's Joke? Or can we let it die into obscurity?