Election week and work/school

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I have heard rumors that the country sort of shuts down during elections period. I have also heard that many companies close and schools as well. Anyone know anything abuot this? Thanks!

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
Out here in Monte Cristi I know that schools close for about 2 weeks in May and some of the schools are used for voting locations. They say that school goes longer into the summer to make up for it ...my guess is that the 8th and 12th graders might go a little longer to prepare for the Prueba Nacional but the other grades, well, we'll see.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I don't know about schools but my recollection of the last election is that the whole country was motherless, drunk and completely intoxicated for two weeks. It was fun!

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
school year finishes with elections this year!!!! in a 3rd world country it is not so important to attend school ...the most important part is that the teachers have real extended vacations!!!! ....well and the parents who pay a lot of dollars for private school will be totally screwed ....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
school year finishes with elections this year!!!! in a 3rd world country it is not so important to attend school ...the most important part is that the teachers have real extended vacations!!!! ....well and the parents who pay a lot of dollars for private school will be totally screwed ....

This is a falsehood. My wifes school will finish near the end of June as always. The school will be closed for two days at election time-this is normal.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
State schools that are used as polling stations might remain closed for more than two days, but private schools are not affected.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Do you speak with the experience of living in DR and, if you do, why do you stay if your perception of the country is as you describe?

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006

Are you SERIOUS?? Someone PLEASE chime in...I need to know when my two younger kids are REALLY getting out of school (I learned last year that school calendars are really approximations!) TIA!:bunny::bunny::bunny:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are you SERIOUS?? Someone PLEASE chime in...I need to know when my two younger kids are REALLY getting out of school (I learned last year that school calendars are really approximations!) TIA!:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Did you read my post. This poster doesn't know what they are talking about. Schools will be open until near the end od June.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I used to teach on a Private School on the North Coast...and I think we closed early for 1 afternoon only.

The rest of the days were school as normal. Private Schools are not affected, because they are not open for voting.

The public schools close because that's where the voting takes place...I believe.

It's pretty hard not to get caught up in the party atmosphere...what with all the 5 peso beers they give out on the malecon and all...lol.

However, as a teacher, it's annoying to have to adjust your lesson plan, and cram more into the limited time they give you.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
We are using a public school for the dental clinic in Puerto Plata in June. According to the principal, regular classes end on June 6 (I have already checked so that we would not interfere with the school year). This works perfectly for us since the clinc will be the following week.

DR_Life

Feb 28, 2008
Thanks Alicious! It is kind of confusing with all these statements of "fact" from all these sources as I'm a newbie.