email issues -- anyone else?

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Anyone else suddenly get email issues these past few days?

I can't send emails from outlook (ie: non-webbased emails). My web hoster tells me it's because I've run afoul of some spam-blocking site and they've blacklisted my IP address. I get the 550 IP in XBL error message which apparently means that's the case.

This can happen (apparently) because of a trojan or some other malware, but I'm very careful to always have anti-everything running in the background, up to date and scanning overnight. All scans come up clean, even the 'stinger' program came up with nada.

Am thinking that perhaps my internet provider (codetel) which gives me my IP address, (right?) might have an issue and that therefore I and possibly other users are having an issue as well.

Is this even possible?

Anyone else suddenly having this problem, or is it only me?

Help!

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
update:

got this from one of the sites when I checked my IP v the database:

(my IP) is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

Outbound Email Policy of Claro Codetel for this IP range:

It is the policy of Claro Codetel that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Claro Codetel customers. To find the hostname of the correct mail server to use, customers should consult the original signup documentation or contact Claro Codetel Technical Support.

Is this a wonderful new policy they neglected to inform me of?

Am working on it. So annoyed

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have no use whatsoever for computer based email systems, such as Outlook.
The reasons behind those program's existence, barely applies anymore, in this day and age.
Back in the days when...... the internet connection was slower than molasses in the winter, and people paid per minute of connection time, it made sense to write up all the emails, then launch them all off in one shot.
The inconvenience being that you could not access your emails from anywhere but your own puter.
The argument against the web based email systems was that if the net was down, you couldn't get to them, and for business, it could be vital to have quick access.
We could go on and on about all the reasons, pros and cons, but let's just go straight to the solution.
This is how we work it here, and I believe it to be the best solution, so far.
The website's email system is set to automatically forward received emails to my Gmail account, which in turn forwards it into my Hotmail account. The reason for the Hotmail is only because it was my first account and I've always used the filing system for organizing reservations, etc.
The beauty with Gmail is that is that it stacks the to & fro emails with a given client.
Here's an example.
There were 14 to & fros between the sender and us.
11-1.jpg

With a single click, you can view the "header" of all the emails, if you are looking for details from a particular one.
22.jpg

One more click and you are accessing the email that you are looking for.
33.jpg

Replies are stacked on again, both sent and received in chronological order.
Furthermore, the Gmail account is set to respond to an email received through the website with the websites email address.
So if someone emails to ****@rockysbar.com, his response comes from the same address.
If any of the servers go down, I have access from one of the other accounts, and it's not likely that all three servers could ever go down at the same time.

Your experience posted above is but an example of the difficulties dealing with Codetel and it's virus infested, world black listed email system.
Dump that antiquated system and set your website to feed into a Gmail account and life will be better.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Codetel mail servers are continually blacklisted. Rocky is right. Get a gmail account and use the gmail outgoing server (smtp server). You can still download your mail to a local mail client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird or whatever) if you want to. I run it like that because I prefer it. If I have to attend to mail away from my laptop, I simply log into my gmail account and do my email work on-line. Gmail even sends me a copy of whatever I did online because it knows I like to store my mail locally on my computer.

So I have two backups, on that I take locally of my computer, and another on gmail. An issue on gmail is privacy, but heck, I keep it clean.

Feb 7, 2007
From my old telecom days, I remember that 550 Relaying Denied is because the SMTP server requires SMTP authentication (same username/password as for POP3). You need to turn it on/configure in your Outlook.