Problems with the Orange Network?

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if there is a general problem with the Orange network in the Puerto Plata area? For the last few days it has been impossible to contact my friends in POP from the UK without making numerous attempts. A lot of the time it sounds like the phone is ringing and then the message is played saying that the call is not possible. Apparently, the phones do not ring and this must be the exchange that is blocking the call getting through. Is anyone else having long distance problems - only with Orange - there have been issues previously and I am wondering if a change to Verizon would be better?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Codetel/Claro (formerly Verizon) has it's share of problems too.
Switching providers may resolve the problem today, but next week it could be the reverse.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I haven't used Claro in many years, but when I did it was much better than Orange. What you describe above is typical for Orange.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks Guys,
Orange has been fine for the last few months, except for the odd day or two, but now it is an absolute pain in the backside. I use Orange because of a "call abroad" SIM that only costs 7p a minute but I think it is time for my friends to change to Verizon if,as you say, it is typical.

milo

Jan 27, 2005
Text Messages from Orange to Claro

Just my 2 cents worth, last Friday shortly after midnight I received 2 text messages sent from an Orange phone, one send on Wednesday and the other Thrusday morning. This morning, I received 2 text messages, one sent from Claro (Verizon, whatever it is now) early last night and the other send about 8:30 last night. They both have the time sent, makes it more difficult to explain that I did not receive the messages.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Codetel/Claro (formerly Verizon) has it's share of problems too.
Switching providers may resolve the problem today, but next week it could be the reverse.

absolutely right rocky!

to the OP...do you and your friends in Puerto Plata text msg? im just curious bc when i was in SD in february i was using the claro network and i could send text msgs internationally but couldnt receive them. i was told that orange would have been a better choice if i was looking to receive texts from friends and family back home (live and learn!). just thought you should consider that if you're a frequent text messager like me.

also, i had more than my share of problems with claro. friends and family would call me from canada and the US and from time to time they would get a recording saying that my phone was out of service even when it was on and working the whole time :ermm:

UP_time

Aug 16, 2003
Orange service here in Cotui is very reliable, along with the Orange Web service Orangemi for cellphones.

Funny..when there is a serious network outage you get all anouncements in english with a British womans voice saying to please try your call later !

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Aside from consistently dropped calls, poor coverage, poor connections and consistently getting my voice mail 6-36 hours after the call, Orange has been wonderful.

Feb 7, 2007
When you cannot call Orange phone from Orange phone within the DR, THEN it is a DR problem.

If you cannot call Orange phone from outside of the DR, most likely it is NOT an Orange problem, and most likely it is a long distance carrier issue (transit issue).

Believe me, I know what I am talking about. I was EVP at a telco/calling card company in the uSA for 6 years.

1) Have you tried other Orange numbers in general? Do you get the same problem?
2) Have you tried other Orange number(s) in the area you think is affected? What are the results?
3) Have you tried other Orange numbers on the same NXX? (e.g. 809-555-1212, NXX would be 555, so other numbers would be 555-3333, 555-1221, etc.)

SASDomRep

Apr 1, 2008
There have been a lot of problems with orange the past few weeks on and off, I tried calling some folks today and they never received a call yet it was ringing out, that is in- country. Orange confirm they have more than one problem and it is not helping that the system is overloaded at present due to the busy tourist season. Verizon has not failed once on my other phones in the past few years

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
When you cannot call Orange phone from Orange phone within the DR, THEN it is a DR problem.

If you cannot call Orange phone from outside of the DR, most likely it is NOT an Orange problem, and most likely it is a long distance carrier issue (transit issue).

Believe me, I know what I am talking about. I was EVP at a telco/calling card company in the uSA for 6 years.

1) Have you tried other Orange numbers in general? Do you get the same problem?
2) Have you tried other Orange number(s) in the area you think is affected? What are the results?
3) Have you tried other Orange numbers on the same NXX? (e.g. 809-555-1212, NXX would be 555, so other numbers would be 555-3333, 555-1221, etc.)

Wow,
Where do I begin - I have three friends with Orange mobiles in the POP region. ALL of them are hard to get hold of. All the NXX numbers are different. I dont have a problem with landlines - straight through. I have also got one of them to borrow a Claro phone and rung her on that at the same time that I was having problems with Orange and got straight through for a clear, uninterrupted call.
I do text - but they are a bit hit and miss as to if and when they are received and I tend to ring to see if they have got them! I wouldnt dare put anything important in one - it might never get read!! Dont know what to do for the best - sit tight and see if it improves or get them changed to Claro.

Feb 7, 2007
There have been a lot of problems with orange the past few weeks on and off, I tried calling some folks today and they never received a call yet it was ringing out, that is in- country. Orange confirm they have more than one problem and it is not helping that the system is overloaded at present due to the busy tourist season. Verizon has not failed once on my other phones in the past few years

Yes Orange has capacity issues, but that may or may not be related to the OP's problem. There are several other possible causes.

Feb 7, 2007
Wow,
Where do I begin - I have three friends with Orange mobiles in the POP region. ALL of them are hard to get hold of. All the NXX numbers are different. I dont have a problem with landlines - straight through. I have also got one of them to borrow a Claro phone and rung her on that at the same time that I was having problems with Orange and got straight through for a clear, uninterrupted call.
I do text - but they are a bit hit and miss as to if and when they are received and I tend to ring to see if they have got them! I wouldnt dare put anything important in one - it might never get read!! Dont know what to do for the best - sit tight and see if it improves or get them changed to Claro.

From what you said it may be Orange problem and may be not. You would need to test several long distance carriers including Tier-1s (to the likes of Verizon, BT, T-Com, etc.) to the same number and see if there are different results. That would indicate carrier issue.

When I worked for a telco, when we had a complaint, we would check if it was a route issue by placing calls to the same number over several carriers.

To sum it up: if the problem persists for a short period of time (30 mins - 1 hou, etc.) it is most likely in-country provlem at Orange's side (network busy). If the problem persists for more time, hours, even days, it is most likely a route issue by your LD carrier, you have to report it back to them.

One more thing - that you can get through to other carriers (landline, other mobile carriers, etc.) does not mean anything. There may be several routes involved, one to Orange, one to Codetel, one to Viva, one to Tricom, etc. I have even seen several routes to the same carrier, on different NXX.

Last edited:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Yes Orange has capacity issues, but that may or may not be related to the OP's problem. There are several other possible causes.

Interesting - So ?
Would "capacity issues" account for the calls suddenly getting cut off mid-sentence over and over again........?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I was fed up with Orange, never being able to get through etc, never receiving calls, so I changed to Verizon 4 months ago, having been with Orange for 7 years. I wouldn't say it was totally without problems, but certainly significantly better

Matilda

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I was fed up with Orange, never being able to get through etc, never receiving calls, so I changed to Verizon 4 months ago, having been with Orange for 7 years. I wouldn't say it was totally without problems, but certainly significantly better

Matilda

Thanks Matilda,
I think your post has convinced me that it is time for a change. I do not think it is a general problem and I do think that it is an "Orange" problem. I certainly dont have anything like the problems when I call Verizon cell phones or landlines.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Problem is one of Orange main service

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if there is a general problem with the Orange network in the Puerto Plata area? For the last few days it has been impossible to contact my friends in POP from the UK without making numerous attempts. A lot of the time it sounds like the phone is ringing and then the message is played saying that the call is not possible. Apparently, the phones do not ring and this must be the exchange that is blocking the call getting through. Is anyone else having long distance problems - only with Orange - there have been issues previously and I am wondering if a change to Verizon would be better?

I do bel?eve "Problem" is one of Orange "main service". Of course all these lost calls. I have another annoying problem though.

I have the "Notificacion de e-mail"-service, which is supposed to send me a SMS when I receive e-mail. Ok it does not, work.

"The problem is that your phone is not bought in DR", they said. "No it is not, it worked before with this phone..." I said. Anyway, maybe they changed something, I bought a cheap phone, still did not work. They asked "Have you activated your account?" "Yes I have" I said. -"Check that, unfortunately we have no connection to the Internet for the moment...then come back". Next time: "Yeah you are right, it is activated. Please call 555". I call 555 "bla bla bla, please contact the orange shop...." Orange normal "service"

I need this feature, anybody that has it that it works for? Or does codetel has this feature now?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
However, be warned if you do change. I had an Orange contract for around 2000RD$ a month - the top number of minutes. I decided to keep the phone but with minimum minutes, as well as get a Verizon phone and contract. it proved to be almost impossible to reduce the number of minutes. I had to wait 3 months, and pay a 1000RD$ fine!!!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
However, be warned if you do change. I had an Orange contract for around 2000RD$ a month - the top number of minutes. I decided to keep the phone but with minimum minutes, as well as get a Verizon phone and contract. it proved to be almost impossible to reduce the number of minutes. I had to wait 3 months, and pay a 1000RD$ fine!!!

No problem - We are all "pay as you go" Inglesa and Dominicanas alike.

SASDomRep

Apr 1, 2008
If any of you are thinking of changing, I kept my orange contracts of five years going and started with Verizon. They have a great deal at the moment, 2 new phones for 1300RD each with sim card and 100 pesos of credit and the reception has been great. Orange has always been bad for many different causes, it is the worst Ive known it in the past few weeks.
Matilda I think you should dispute that charge I decreased my contracts on 2 numbers with orange, it came into effect the month following but I wasnt fined as you were. The service really does depend on which orange shop you go to, some are great, some are bad and some have staff that really dont know what they are talking about.