Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving Birth

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Giving Birth

I would like to know what the hospitals are like here in Puerto Plata for having a baby. Do you get a good standard of care? Do the doctors speak ENglish? Do they give epidurals? Can the father be present in the room? Where is the best place to have the baby? How much would private care cost and is the standard higher?

Just weighing up the pros and cons of where is better to have a baby. Anyone who has any personal experience of this would be great to talk to! Thanks.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggest you visit your hospital and walk through, ask questions etc, in advance and see for yourself. For something this important you should decide. I spent the night in the hospital recently and was somewhat surprised. Though no complaints it is certainly very different than what I have been accustomed to.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out Centro Bournigal.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Been to Bournigal on numerous occasions and not too thrilled about going there. Im considering travelling to SD or Santiago to make sure i get the best level of care. I want a natural child birth, no c-section with the choice of having an epidural. I want an english speaking doctor and somewhere that has good facilities in case of complications. I would like names of places that offer this if anybody knows of any.

Post Thanks / Like

Jenny García (Centro de Salud de la Mujer Atabey) in the capital - her contact details are on a number of previous threads - gives you a better chance of getting the sort of care you need.

Have you decided against going back to the UK, where all your criteria are more or less taken for granted? The cost of the trip could balance out with the medical costs in the DR.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe PM Simon & Nicky - she is another British woman who had her baby here, though where exactly I'm not sure.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eralc777 View Post
    I want a natural child birth, no c-section with the choice of having an epidural.
    Is C-Section an option? why on Earth would anyone opt for major abdominal surgery?

Anyways....if your pelvis is too small and obstructs your birthing canal....you WILL have a C-section...and I would highly suggest you talk to the doctor if for any reason you should need a C-Section, How he will perform the surgery and discuss the incision,vertical or horizontal?.

good luck!! And congratulations

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am still looking into both options of having the baby here compared to in UK. There are lots of factors that influence my decision, and im just investigating health care options before i make a final decision. The amount of time i would have to spend in UK isnt exactly encouraging me to go there. So im keeping all options open right now...

If I had to have a c-section i would, but it would not be my first choice.

Post Thanks / Like

For some Dominican women and doctors a C-section is a first choice, unfortunately.

eralc777, I went through the same process 8 years ago and ended up going home. The disadvantage, as you mention, was the long stay - I was there from 6 weeks before my due date - Iberia was the only airline that would take me at that late stage - and remained at home until the baby was 3 months old. The advantages - as well as the great, free health facilities and attitudes to childbirth and breastfeeding - was the support I had from my immediate and extended family and friends back home.

My husband was not able to be with me for some of that time, which was a definite drawback. The baby arrived a week early so he missed the birth, but rushed over and was there the next day. He had to return to the DR 10 days later due to work commitments, but was back about a month later, and we flew back to the DR together.

PM me if you would like to talk.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    as well as the great, free health facilities and attitudes to childbirth and breastfeeding -.
    Is it still free? I know emergency situations are but even NHS GP's now charge for a consultation if you're an expat (discovered this on previous trip). When I displayed disbelief they showed me the relevant Home Office circular..........exit Lambada declaiming to full waiting room that if she had to pay she would see an unhurried doctor using her private health insurance........... Worth checking eralc777 if cost is a factor for you, exactly what your expat status entitles you to in UK. It's a lot less than it used to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast