School contacts

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Hello -

My boyfriend and I have spent the past week or so sending off his emails/applications/resume etc to schools all over the Dominican Republic. For most we managed to locate a website or email address after a lot of searching or phoning the school. Unfortunately there are still a few we couldn't seem to find the contact information for. If anyone has a phone number, fax, email or website for any of the following schools, could you please let me know...

- Johns English School, Puerto Plata

- Torre Alta Montessori School, Puerto Plata

- Los Pininos Collegio School, Juan Dolio?

Thanks so much for your help!! :)

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Ohhh that would be great, if it isn't out of your way! Thanks very much! :)

I did come across that Puerto Plata English School on my searchings of the World Wide Web, perhaps just in the DR yellow pages. Anyhow, I did phone them this afternoon but the lady I spoke to informed me that they did not have a school email address of any kind. Odd, but perhaps they haven't had one set up yet if the school is very new. I will try phoning again in a day or so to see if I can get someone else on the line that may have more information, and perhaps someone who can speak some English, as my understanding of Spanish, spoken quickly over the telephone, could use some work!! :/

Thanks again!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Still there!

John's English School IS still there. The reason for the confusion is that in the mornings the building is used by Colegio Mis Muchachitos & in the afternoon by John's English School. It is situated on Salome Ure?a, which is the turning right off Separacion after the chicken wasaka restaurant & before you hit Antera Mota & the DGII (tax office). Tel no. is 1-809-261-7070. John's English School sign says English & French, btw. I know the directions won't mean much now but if you're ever here & looking for it, they will be useful.

I also visited Puerto Plata English School on 12 de Julio at 11 am but it was closed. Not unusual for a language school which could operate afternoons and evenings only. Tel 1-809-586-7935.

I did know an English mother who sent her toddler to the Torre Alta Montessori school & she was very happy with it. She & family moved to Panama and I'm not in touch any more. There are several people who post on this board who live in Torre Alta so perhaps one of them would like to get you the contact details?

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Ohh thank you so much. That was very kind of you to get that information for me. I tried phoning both schools this afternoon but didn't get any answer. Perhaps they close early on Fridays. I will try again on Monday. We've actually been a bit down the past day or two, thinking my boyfriend wasn't going to get any replies from the many schools he has written to, but today he finally did get an email from Cap Cana Heritage School hoping to get a telephone interview with him. Not exactly the laid back, low-key, cheap life we were looking for but any interview at this point gives us hope! :) So we're feeling much better! And hey, if it comes down to it, living in a fancy smancy, slightly colt-like area, such as Cap Cana, is closer to our dream than rainy, sour-faced, expensive England. Either way, still hoping to hear back from a few more over the next week or so. Thanks again for the info on those schools in Puerto Plata!! :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Not heard from the International School in Sosua or Garden Kids? There are posters on this board whose children attend those schools. It would be nice if they could take a little proactive stance on your behalf and make a few enquiries for you.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
The Director of the International School of Sosua did write, after receiving his application, but only to ask for a few more bits and bobs that hasn't gone through yet. He hasn't written since then but that was mid week, so I suppose we can wait a bit longer without worries. Nothing from Garden Kids, which is a shame, because from the website and anything else we had read, it had become our favourite. Perhaps if anyone is reading this that does have contacts at either of this schools, they could PM me or just let me know here of any enquiries they would be willing to make or any information on the staff situation, that they may already know of. Thanks very much! I'll keep you updated on our search! :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just to let you know there's an ad. in Tuesday's El Faro (PP newspaper) for Johns English School now taking inscripciones and it has a second tel. no. It has the one I gave you before plus 809-815-4631. Ad. says as well as children there are classes for adults.

How's it going with the job hunting?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
the Heritage School in Cap Cana is a fabulous place. I can tell you (and I did, but in another thread) that it is by far one of the most impressive school facilities in the DR.

If they can pay you a living wage, go for it.

HB

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Thank you Lambada! I've actually just emailed you to let you know the status of our job hunt. It is going well! :)

Hillbilly, unfortunately we didn't hear back from the Heritage School in Cap Cana after their first interview with my boyfriend. They had finished the phone call sounding very positive and said they would love to speak to him for a second interview soon, but that has not happened. Things change I suppose and we do understand that. But then again, perhaps they are just taking their time with the hiring. You never know.

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
Mailing address for Cap Cana Heritage school?

Does anyone have the actual mailing address for the Heritage School at Cap Cana? Despite the fact that I have a packet of information from them, admission forms, etc., not one item has their physical address listed. It is not on their website, and like others, I am not having any luck getting anyone to answer the phone at the number listed on their website.
Many thanks if any one has the information.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bear in mind there is no reliable postal service in the DR, so anything you send would have to be via private courier. Heritage School, Cap Cana, La Altagracia + a phone number should be sufficient.

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
I don't have an email address but I do have a phone number for Los Pininos: 809-529-3212. I have two kids attending and I am very happy with the school. I know several other parents who are equally happy. I am sure they could always use another skilled English teacher. Good luck.
Jim