Tips on how to bargain?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
What would be some great tips you would give to first time visitors on the art of bargaining? Please give examples and personal experiences on how to be an effective bargainer in the DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Mr Lu - for some reason I thought you were criollo, nonetheless, here goes:

1. Speak the language effectively.
2. Research the going prices thouroughly by calling other businesses, friends or DR1.
3. Don't dress or talk like a tiguere or otherwise wear expensive brand name clothes and jewelry.
4. Don't hesitate on holding off on the transaction if you are unsure if it is a fair deal.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
this is a great thread. when i travel to the DR or anywhere else in the world, im always confused about how to bargain. i find myself torn between trying to get a good deal and not getting ripped off but also not wanting to insult someone by low-balling or bargaining over a dollar or two when at the end of the day a few dollars isnt too big a deal to me but could be a big deal to the vendor.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
One of the first things we learned upon our arrival at our information session from our chartered Representative was if you are bartering with beach vendors, offer 1/2 of the amount they suggest.

Really?? that doesn't sound right, the venders at our beach were extremely aggressive and intimidating. I did not like dealing with them at all!

I never asked how much some thing cost, I would hold it up and give them a price, there was a cool beaded wrap I liked, she said it was $45 I was like:surprised, I told her I only had $17, and sure enough before I walked away, she did one of these"pssst" and gave it to me for $17.

But I didn't ask for that price, I just told her that was all I have...so maybe she liked me cause I didn't try to hustle for it.

or maybe it's only worth $10:ermm:

either way ...I was happy

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
i was in the zona colonial with a friend one time. im asian so its obvious im not a local and he is from venezuela but people knew he wasnt a local either. he speaks the language and has lived in the DR for over 2 years now. when i went to a fruit stand to buy a banana, the vendor told me 50 pesos! i was like thats outrageous so i walked away. my friend just laughed. we went to another fruit stand just a few meters away and when my friend asked how much the banana was, they told him 40 pesos. when we started to walk away, my friend said "ill give you 5" for it. the vendor agreed and we were on our way.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I'm a mix of all things...

Mr Lu - for some reason I thought you were criollo, nonetheless, here goes:

Chip,

Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming you guys. In reality this is not for me. I am a fairly good bargainer. I am just trying to get perspectives and compile a list that we can give newcomers and first time readers on to DR1. It'd be great to have 10-15 tips that we can share among the DR1 community. Your perspectives are appreciated.

Mr. Lu

O, and by the way, not to high jack my own post, but what do you guys think of the word "criollo?" This isn't directed towards you Chip, but I feel that the term, no matter if it is used as a way to describe Dominicans, is somewhat offensive.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip,

Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming you guys. In reality this is not for me. I am a fairly good bargainer. I am just trying to get perspectives and compile a list that we can give newcomers and first time readers on to DR1. It'd be great to have 10-15 tips that we can share among the DR1 community. Your perspectives are appreciated.

Mr. Lu

Thanks - why don't you list your opinions as well? I'm sure we can all learn from it. BTW, you are Dominican right? :)

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
O, and by the way, not to high jack my own post, but what do you guys think of the word "criollo?" This isn't directed towards you Chip, but I feel that the term, no matter if it is used as a way to describe Dominicans, is somewhat offensive.

As ever, dominicans use this word with the wrong meaning...The correct meaning of Criollos is that these were the people that were born in the colonies, but that their parents were from the motherland or from people that were also criollos. I don't understand why they use it here, if most dominicans have mixed blood (black /taino) and therefore cannot be considered criollos.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I learnt to bargain the Dominican way by pure accident. Many years ago I asked for a price on a hat from a street vendor in Cabarete .. a little hat for my granddaughter. The price that they quoted was so outrageous that I got mad. I tossed the hat down, said NO THANK YOU and walked off. Of course the vendor followed me and the price reduced the further we walked. I did not buy the hat and explained to the fellow that I will not support anyone that tries to gouge me. The next day all the vendors in Cabarete had me on local prices. The fruit and veg lady explained that I belong, and now she is going to charge me less. I still have not ever bought a thing from that vendor.

So, the tip is .. be willing to walk away and keep walking.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

This is a term that I have heard Dominicans use among themselves here in the DR to describe things and even people that originate from the DR. I have not inferred any racial or derogatory implications, but then again it depends on one's perspective - here in the DR, moreno, indio, blanco y rubio are common expressions used among people, and they aren't meant to be offensive.

Nonetheless, I think I will start another thread so as to not highjack this thread. Here it is:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/spanish-101/73796-crillo.html#post624959

Last edited:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Great tip

I learnt to bargain the Dominican way by pure accident. Many years ago I asked for a price on a hat from a street vendor in Cabarete .. a little hat for my granddaughter. The price that they quoted was so outrageous that I got mad. I tossed the hat down, said NO THANK YOU and walked off. Of course the vendor followed me and the price reduced the further we walked. I did not buy the hat and explained to the fellow that I will not support anyone that tries to gouge me. The next day all the vendors in Cabarete had me on local prices. The fruit and veg lady explained that I belong, and now she is going to charge me less. I still have not ever bought a thing from that vendor.

So, the tip is .. be willing to walk away and keep walking.

This is probably the greatest tool consumers have in the world of bargaining. Though Chris was generally outraged, playing the part helps and walking away scares vendors enough for them to cede to you. Great tip. Keep em coming. Stories are welcomed too, as explaining the situation in which you bargained could be of potential use to some people.

sawsky

Jan 12, 2007
i liked the post about offerring half of what the vendor asks for. the way i deal in the d.r. or anywhere else is look at the item your buying and say too yourself what is it worth to me. eg. if you think the item is worth 10.00 offer 10.00 dollars if they say no you walk away,they will sell it too you if its a fair price. then you get what you wantted for what you wanted too pay.everyone wins you and the vendor.and dont look back be happy enjoy your vacation

J

John Evans

hmmm so turning down one vender made all of cabarete put you on local prices...yeah right

J

John Evans

so now i got a bad red spot for being sarcastic.......my tip on bargaining...dont get cornered in a shop with no escape route and dont let them put shoes on you without knowing the price first

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Easy, ask for the price: then say you only have 70% of that price with you and will only buy it for that price. If they say no and look the other way start walking away, 80% of the time they will call you back. If they dont you may come back a day later with a little bit more money and repeat the procedure.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
so now i got a bad red spot for being sarcastic.......my tip on bargaining...dont get cornered in a shop with no escape route and dont let them put shoes on you without knowing the price first

Well, it was not me. But note, perhaps it is better to not be sarcastic. And I have to remember that as well. ;) It is all too easy sometimes.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I think its important to realize that prices, and even a fair price, can be different depending on what part of the country you are in ...

like with the paintings that are sold all over ...they tend to be very similar ...a small one at the only gift shop in Monte Cristi where there is hardly any tourism might be $5, whereas something of similar size and style in Cabarete or Santo Domingo is going to be more, even after some bargining. I think this tends to go for the non-touristy stuff too ...food, drink, household goods, clothes, etc.

A lot of times I don't even try bargining for stuff around here because I know its much cheaper at the given price than it would be in other areas ...and I like to support the local vendors here that don't get nearly as much business as would someone in Santiago or Santo Domingo, etc. Here, CDs and DVDs (burned of course) are about 40 pesos w/ out bargining ...the fake designer sunglasses that are sold everywhere, about 70-80pesos ... a pedicure sans the fancy salon- 40 pesos!, braids- 50-100 pesos, a huge painting (maybe 3 ft by 3ft) cost me $25 US last year w/ out bargining ....

I pay these prices without bargining here and when shopping for similar things in places like Cabarete, SD, etc I usually get a good price by 1)speaking in fluent Dominican Spanish (I think this is half the battle in itself), and 2) refering to the price I would be paying for the item if I was in Monte Cristi ....the last time I needed a pair of sunglasses in Cabarete the price started at 900pesos and went down to 450 ...I walked away to visit the other shops and in passing a second time I ended up paying about 150 for them.

One thing I don't like is to see people browse and or bargin with the jewelry/cigar vendors on the beaches if they have no intention of buying. If you intend to buy a necklace at some point on your trip, then by all means browse away, but I've known people who didnt have money on them and/or didn't intend to buy, waste these vendors' time. That annoys me.

For anyone who really enjoys the bargining scene and/or wants to test their skills- make sure to head to the market at Dajabon on Monday or Friday ...you can get some very cheap Dominican goods. Nice jeans, tops, cheap jewelry, sandals, belts hats, handbags, etc ....last time I purchased some nice mens jeans for 200pesos ...

donmiguelito

Jul 21, 2007
What would be some great tips you would give to first time visitors on the art of bargaining? Please give examples and personal experiences on how to be an effective bargainer in the DR.

There are very few thing I come across on my trips that I really want to buy in the first place. Nevertheless I feel a certain obligation to support the vendors and bring things back home for friends. My first tactic to stay away from the types that quote a crazy price ("$70 is a good price for Ray Ban sun glasses my friend, see look they are real").

Next I will determine a fair price in USD and do the peso conversion with a rate favorable to them. I then add a 25% "give'em a break he's trying to make a living" margin.

Then the fun begins...after I ask cuanto I'll just keep quiet and give the vendor a knowing smile that will either 1- get them to smile in agreement that the price is too high, or 2- make me crack up hearing their creativity in justifying the price. I just keep smiling, stay quiet and throw in a head shake and an eres loco once in a while. After that if I decide I want to give the guy business I just walk away for him to get serious and close. Typically the more time they spend with you the more they want to make the sale. They also know the more time you spend with them the more obligated you feel to buy something too.

For added value, after I negotiate the best price, and if I like the vendor I'll just give him the max I was willing to pay in the first place. It's funny seeing them react to this-- they usually end up feeling obligated to give something extra in return. The whole dance is pretty funny when you think about it.

I try to do the noble thing and recognize the advantage I have over a lot of these vendors and pay what I think is a fair price.