Poisonous Plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Alida has gotten a nasty rash with small blisters behind one ear and on the hairline on her forehead. It resembles poison ivy, but isn't, the blisters are too small. It's like she toucher her ear and ran her fingers across her forehead. We cannnot figure out what it is, nor can a dermatologist. The doc just said she got something on it, and prescribed some salves.

So I'm wondering: are thgere any poisonous plants in the DR? And might they be @ Las Aromas? We were there Saturday...

Last edited:

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
There is a plant up in the mountains (saw some in Jarabacoa) that resembles and makes you break out and itch just like Poison Ivy...short little plant...has small leaves, if I remember correctly...waxy/oily just like it.

I'm SEVERELY allergic to PI, but this went away a lot quicker. It didn't seem to spread like the North American kind.

J

John Evans

differnt people can be allergic to different plants - i got a rash from a green and white striped plant with slightly serated edges that is a cultivated plant but i dont know the name of it.
The second time i got a similar rash and small spots which actually turned out to be shingles- has she had chicken pox

J

John Evans

it could also be just prickly heat- if she was wearing a hat it affects the scalp and forehead.....but since the doctors dont know either we are only guessing

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are many plants that cause contact dermatitis in the DR like the Christmas bush(poison Ash) and stinging nettles. Try a little corticosteroid cream on part of it. Witch Hazel quite often works.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have walked Las Aromas a thousand times (conservative) and so have my friends from near and far. No rashes whatsoever.

We do have "gratay" which is a nasty fuzzy leaf that causes itching non-stop..

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I too have walked Las Aromas many many times in my two years, and unfortunately I have been on many extended jungle "safaris" in search of errant drives and have not gotten anything. That being said I always dress in long pants and a long shirt, even in summer, so I'm well protected. Give my best to Alida.

ciao

May 29, 2006
Another plant to be careful of, esp for dogs is the pencil tree. The branches break easily and then it releases a sticky latex type substance that can cause severe inflammation if not washed off. It can cause blindness for a few days if you get it in your eyes. I remember years ago, The Misners at the Checkpoint in Sosua paid for a vet bill for a street dog that had it on her back and I remember it being quite expensive.

P3173024.jpg

The trees get up to about 25 feet high.

Status
Not open for further replies.