Fall of Airlines, Impact on DR Airlines

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Hey Guys......

With all this new Dominican airlines coming out now (supposedly) i have to ponder this.......

Aloha Airlines just announced that it will cease operations a couple of days ago.. today we learn that ATA (one of the few airlines that operate Boeing's 757-300) has filed for bankruptcy and will also cease operations. Also Delta Airlines is downgrading a bunch of routes, laying of thousands of workers and simplifying their routing system.

This begs my question. How are our up and coming airlines going to handle their beginnings in this very bad time to start an in the airline business??.....

Delta Airlines has already posted a downgrade in flights all trhu the summer into their withdrawal from JFK-STI in September. Delta will NOT fly daily to STI beginning this month all the way to September.... This worries me as a Dominican that enjoys air travel and works in the business too.

I just hope that our airlines can make it.... will they??????

Regards...

STIOP

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Hey Guys......

With all this new Dominican airlines coming out now (supposedly) i have to ponder this.......

Aloha Airlines just announced that it will cease operations a couple of days ago.. today we learn that ATA (one of the few airlines that operate Boeing's 757-300) has filed for bankruptcy and will also cease operations. Also Delta Airlines is downgrading a bunch of routes, laying of thousands of workers and simplifying their routing system.

This begs my question. How are our up and coming airlines going to handle their beginnings in this very bad time to start an in the airline business??.....

Delta Airlines has already posted a downgrade in flights all trhu the summer into their withdrawal from JFK-STI in September. Delta will NOT fly daily to STI beginning this month all the way to September.... This worries me as a Dominican that enjoys air travel and works in the business too.

I just hope that our airlines can make it.... will they??????

Regards...

STIOP

Yes, very bad timing, unless they have a magic way of turning a profit in a $105-110/barrel of oil economy.

Yes, in the past week, 2 airlines ceased operations. I'm sure they tried all means to stay operational.

Delta's moves in regards to the DR appear to be a response to the market (fuel costs), seasonal travel flows to/from the DR, the issues with the JFK-SDQ route, as well as making preps for the possible merger/takeover of Northwest. I wouldn't be worried long-term.

Dominican_Titan

May 14, 2004
www.dr1.com
im sure competition is also a mayor factor on these airlines going bankrupt or reducing their routes. we gotta take consideration that the US and European markets are waaay more competitive than ours so is more likely for an airline to go down on these tuff days adding the gas prices over $100 per barril.

delta going out of DR is actually good news for the starting Air Dominicana, Sol Dominicana, Etc Etc...delta gone means less competition for them and less competetion means more chances of them being succesful on the D.R - NYC routes. not only that but Aeropostal is having problems also and i guess they can capitalize on the D.R - Venezuela Routes as well.

its like a dominican saying "la derrota de uno puede ser la victoria de otro"

the main problem here is that lately too many airlines are wanting to start up in D.R we already have like wat? 4 now im pretty sure 4 wont be succesful..maybe 2 but not 4...im putting my money on Sol and Air Dominicana since they atleast have $18 million and $10 million respectively to start up while we know nothing about the other 2 and their back up plans.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
ATA Airlines was....

Aloha airlines and what other airline are you referring to? Aitalia? Just curious.

American Trans Air was a low cost carrier in the US that also used to fly charters for the US Government... They had a fleet of Boeing airplanes very important to us the Boeing 757-300 which is used by Continental Airlines in the EWR-STI y EWR-SDQ route..... there are rumors that Continental Airlines will buy this airplanes which will strengthen their already solid B-753 routing......

regards ogre...

STIOP

dringa

Oct 17, 2004
STIOP

My feelings are that Dominican airlines have in the past failed due to thier own neglect in running the airline - not by competition. The only way any new Dominican airline will survive is via bringing in an experienced CEO that has dealt with start up operations and knows how to cut / save funds. This is a very lucrative market and has much room for a new start up but like any markets, it will not matter if the start up does not conserve thier millions as much as they can for operational and maint matters.

Sep 20, 2003
I think service and comfort are really important to the success of an airline. Things like in flight meals and comfortable seats. Many of the American airlines I have flown in the last 7-8 years are barebones. United Airlines was quite nice, but others give you cheap snacks and the interiors are rundown looking. I paid a little extra for United, but I now seek out flights on that airline because stewardesses were attentive,the food was good, and the enviroment was so comfortable.

Turkish Airlines is the best airline I've ever flown. I flew coach and was treated like a business class passenger. They gave me a little bag with slippers, a sleeping mask, soap, a toothbrush, etc. The kind of thing that one usual gets when flying business class.

I know that airlines are trying to save money, but I perhaps it would increase business if an airline spent a few dollars extra on the passengers.

And lastly, decent airline stewardess uniforms-no more dressing up the girls like bus drivers.

Last edited:

semperinfidelis

Apr 15, 2003
Unfortunately, 2008 and more so in the week of March 31, 2008 has been a disastrous week for the airline industry in the US. So far there have been 6 airlines shutting down this year...
Big Sky Airlines
Skyway Airlines
Aloha Airlines
ATA
SkyBus
and Champion Air

I agree with STIOP in that Dominican airlines of the past have failed due to their own neglect in running the airline - not by competition.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Thanks Everyone...

Thank you very much for your post's.....

I just wanted to catch everybody's opinion on the resurgence of our beloved Dominican Airlines, I want them to succeed.... I really do...... but in my opinion this is not the best time to start sooooo many Dominican airlines at once...... We have a +-US$3.86 per gallon of Jet-A1...... It was +-US2.20 per gallon when i started in the aviation business (4 years)

One or Two .... Not so many.... my opinion...

Thanks again to all

Regards STIOP

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, very bad timing, unless they have a magic way of turning a profit in a $105-110/barrel of oil economy.

Yes, in the past week, 2 airlines ceased operations. I'm sure they tried all means to stay operational.

Delta's moves in regards to the DR appear to be a response to the market (fuel costs), seasonal travel flows to/from the DR, the issues with the JFK-SDQ route, as well as making preps for the possible merger/takeover of Northwest. I wouldn't be worried long-term.

And guys...But believe or not...Delta is doing very well on Atlanta-SDQ and PUJ..they are making more money in this market...than the JFK...also most of the passengers from ATL are tourist...not deals on luggage letf behind due to space...Most of this passanger are large group on mission to RD...as today...flight was full to SDQ..1 hour late due to the bad weather since yesterday..and really most of the dominican in the southeast..are happy with this....As right now....I dont know what are they waiting to make the press release about this services....
I am very Happy that at least we have our services from the Worldport....ATL.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
It just keeps going.........
Frontier Airlines Files for Bankruptcy Protection on the headline news today......

Unlike other airlines it will try to get out of bankruptcy by keeping its operations on life support and continue revenue flights

Regards

STIOP

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
i am baffled that Delta has better business from ATL to DR than JFK to DR....unbeleivable

Home base (ATL) is the busiest airport in the world. More connection possibilities. Less hassle. People from anywhere in the world can connect easier through ATL than JFK. Remember, most Delta domestic flights to NYC go to LGA or Newark.

It does make sense operationally for Delta.

Also, where would most Americans prefer to transfer out of, Atlanta, Miami, or NYC?

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
Home base (ATL) is the busiest airport in the world. More connection possibilities. Less hassle. People from anywhere in the world can connect easier through ATL than JFK. Remember, most Delta domestic flights to NYC go to LGA or Newark.

It does make sense operationally for Delta.

Also, where would most Americans prefer to transfer out of, Atlanta, Miami, or NYC?

Off course Atlanta is the best choice for Americans, JFK is a disaster for Delta operations there.