Mutton Chops ??

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
My dictionary tells me that lamb is cordero, it also tells me that mutton is cordero, two butchers in Las Terrenas here tell me that cordero is el hijo de una vaca!!! What do I ask for when I want some mutton chops or indeed any other cut of mutton? Chuletas de oveja?
Mind you when I last lived in the UK it was a hell of a job to find mutton, supermarkets were useless they only sold what they wanted you to buy. Luckily with the help of a proper, old fashioned, butcher I could buy half a sheep from a local abbatoir.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
My dictionary tells me that lamb is cordero, it also tells me that mutton is cordero, two butchers in Las Terrenas here tell me that cordero is el hijo de una vaca!!! What do I ask for when I want some mutton chops or indeed any other cut of mutton? Chuletas de oveja?
Mind you when I last lived in the UK it was a hell of a job to find mutton, supermarkets were useless they only sold what they wanted you to buy. Luckily with the help of a proper, old fashioned, butcher I could buy half a sheep from a local abbatoir.

Ask the French butcher in Las Terrenas for "Mouton" , print this image and point to the chops (C?telettes 8,9,10, 11).

mouton.jpg

Sheep Sound here: Sheep Sounds - Downloads

Mouton or Mutton is a Lamb older then 1 year.

I love lamb chops done on real charcoal.

Good luck on finding what you want, and don't forget to post the results.

WebDev

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Cool sound link...but is that supposed to be aversion therapy (as in aversion to eating them?) ;)

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for the advice webdev, yes the french butcher has been able to supply me with mutton, cotlettes and cuisse de mouton respectively bierne de ovieja y chuletas de ovieja. He translated it into spanish for me.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Do you want ovejo?

Mutton is French for lamb. In SPAIN it will be called "cordero" which really designates the male which is more appreciated in the kitchen for it's bigger leg.
Here the word "cordero" will NOT buy you what you may be looking for.
They call it "ovejo". Same animal, male again (derived from the word "oveja" which is the female).

I bought a nice big ovejo in San Juan de la Maguana over New Year and had it butchered on site. It was delicious! I did not try the chops however, as I left it to the "family" to do with it their usual thing... I just roasted my leg on the fire (a little) devoured it on the bone quite happily.

Ovis aries - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

... J-D.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Interestingly I was in a conversation with one of the orphanage volunteers today about lamb and sheep. He mentioned the "Cordero de dios" (lamb of God)...but I couldn't help but substitute Mutton for Cordero for a split second and burst out laughing. Of course this required some explanation...thanks for the injection of humor into my day;)