Visa cash advance in the DR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Anybody have any experience in doing a cash advance from a foreign visa credit card account to a bank here in the DR? If so, would the amount have been more than US10,000?

Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sometimes these cards send you a check that can be cashed against your account for an advance. You can certainly cash these. Why don"t you call your CC company and ask?

If you deposit more than $10,000 US there is a small form to sign for the DR, not for the US.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Sometimes these cards send you a check that can be cashed against your account for an advance. You can certainly cash these. Why don"t you call your CC company and ask?

this is definitely the best way to do it. i work for a financial institution in canada and this is what we recommend to our clients. its also less hassle and paperwork.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Most credit cards clip you for 3% of the cash advance, as well as immediate interest charges. If you have the $$ in an account outside of the country,a wire transfer to an account here usually runs only $50.

If you have a good casa de cambio, they will usually also have a US$ account in Miami or NYC, and you could do a domestic wire transfer from your US account to the casa de cambio's account there, for probably only $30, and they would then hand you cash here, either in US$ or RD pesos (just another option to think about).

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
good call GringoCarlos! moving funds from a bank account instead of a visa or credit card will always be better in terms of interest and service charges but if you're only option is a cash advance you can also process the advance in your home country and have the funds wired to the DR if you want instant access to the funds. im not sure if or how long DR banks will hold a cheque drawn on a foreign credit card if you dont already have an established account/relationship with that bank.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Doing the wire transfer works good in theory, however, there are few if any banks that will let you do a wire transfer over the internet, etc w/o being in person. Otherwise one has to buy a plane ticket to the States or transfer it to someone else and then have them do the wire transfer. Also, The fee for the cahs advance of $US25k is 100US, quite reasonable I believe. Anyway, after much hassle with Banreservas taking turns telling me I could then I couldn't do it for the aforementioned amount, they finally said no again. Como se inventan, carajo! Anyway, I am going to talk to Scotiabank tomorrow and will let you guys know.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
I made a cash advance for > $10,000 from my debit card in the DR without charge (as my bank doesn't charge for o/seas withdrawals).

I too had problems with Banreservas (Santiago branch) and ended up going to Banco Popular in Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata. All I needed to do was inform my bank beforehand that I would be making the transaction (so they authorised it) and take my passport along as identification. Staff were helpful and I had the cash in my hand within minutes.

Best of luck
Daydream

Opusculum

Joseito - Sad Pathetic Sock Puppet
Jan 14, 2008
Back when I had a credit card--and credit--I asked for a cash advance at Banco Popular in Higuey, but it was small change (141usd) compared to what you are talking about.

You people is rich!