Taxi fares

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Once again I am trying to see what helpful tips we can give first time travelers to the DR. This time I'd like some feedback on taking a taxi in the DR. For those of you who live in different parts of the country tell us where you live and some of the rates for riding around your particular cities. If you have taken a cab from any airport let us know your final destination and how much it cost you. And if you know cab fares please tell us rates , route and details.

Here is an example. I live in Santo Domingo. If I want go anywhere inside the National District it will cost me about RD$140. If I go to "Aquel lado" or towards Autopista Duarte a cab will cost me around RD$160-RD$170. Mind you, this is if I call the cab from the center of the city. If I call the cab from let's say Carrefour towards the center of the city the cab will cost me RD$140-RD$150. This however will depend on the cab company.

I do remember 3 weeks ago a cabby tried to charge me RD$500 for this very same route, D.N. to Carrefour. It was late and I didn't want to drive. As I clenched my fist ready to punch the guy in the back of the head I decided not to and negotiated down to RD$150. TJ was with me though he couldnt believe that the guy would dare be so wild about his price.

In the end knowing the price of the route and how to negotiate allowed me to negotiate a reasonable price. So with the hope of helping first time visitors not to get ripped off, please help compile a good list.

Cheers,

Mr. Lu (a.k.a. Mr. Gerbil)

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
IT is not just Visitors or Tourists that must negotiate

As I arrived at the Metro station from Puerto Plata I called my friend from the bus (Claro cellphone, as I always do when I vist him in the Capital) to pick me up, when he asked if I would be willing to take a taxi (although I have visited RD more than 30 times since 1986 I have only rudementry Spanish) so I handed the phone to a woman seated next to me on the bus and asked her to take direction from my friend (Hotel Discovery) which she did without any problem.
Once we claimed our bags we went and questioned the taxis about the cost of my trip, my new friend was appalled at the quote and decided she would call two taxis (one for her and one for me) I guess she asked how much before making the request but when the car showed up (less than 5 minutes) there was no problem about the price.
However....
The driver handed me the map book and suggested I help him with direction!!!

This is why I love the place so much, most time the average Dominican is more than willing to help anyone (even if they don't have a clue they will try) and you never know what will happen next but you will always have a story to tell.

Gerry

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I took the Metro from Santiago down to Santo Domingo, and when I got off I need it a cab to get to my destinatino which was avenida 27 de Febrero and Doctor Delgado the new place for Cedulas in the Capital, it was about 5 to 10 minute ride depending on traffic the driver try to charge me 180.00, I told him that he was nutts and only pay him 140 and told him that he was ripping me off.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Do what I do if you know what the going rate is - tell them the going price beforehand, if they don't like it send them and their tigueraje pasao' packing. BTW, we discussed taxis rates a few months back from the airport to downtown, like at the Metro Station.

OscarDeLaRenta

Nov 24, 2008
Impressive? Standard Taxi Tarifa.

(although I have visited RD more than 30 times since 1986 I have only rudementry Spanish)...my new friend was appalled at the quote and decided she would call two taxis (one for her and one for me) I guess she asked how much before making the request but when the car showed up (less than 5 minutes) there was no problem about the price.
However....
The driver handed me the map book and suggested I help him with direction!!!

This is why I love the place so much, most time the average Dominican is more than willing to help anyone (even if they don't have a clue they will try) and you never know what will happen next but you will always have a story to tell.

Gerry

Do you think that's impressive that after 23 years and 30 visits you can still hardly communicate in Spanish?

Also, this nice woman just used your cell phone to save her minutes.

Standard taxi fare is 150 to go anywhere within the city limits. If you are paying any more than that, you are getting ripped off. Period. I am amazed that you still don't know that after more than two decades of visiting the place.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Wtf?

Do you think that's impressive that after 23 years and 30 visits you can still hardly communicate in Spanish?

Also, this nice woman just used your cell phone to save her minutes.

Standard taxi fare is 150 to go anywhere within the city limits. If you are paying any more than that, you are getting ripped off. Period. I am amazed that you still don't know that after more than two decades of visiting the place.

No where does it say the she used my phone. I really don't remember if it was mine she used and I don't care.
The point is that everyone is willing to help.
What exactly is your point in this post after a year?
You are easily amazed, I'm sure it helps you get through the days.

Reactions: Bronxboy