Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Police shoot robbers in Sosua

Finally, justice has been served the only way in Sosua. As reported in the English Paper last week along with the roit in the local jail in Puerta Plata

Personally, I think we should all contribute to a fund ( say 1,000 peso's each) and give it to the local police everytime they shoot one of these robbers.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Finally, justice has been served the only way in Sosua. As reported in the English Paper last week along with the roit in the local jail in Puerta Plata
    Did anyone get shot in the riot at Fortaleza?

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rushed

Quote Originally Posted by rio2003 View Post
    Maybe shot at but according to
    Puerto Plata Digital
    and
    Periodico El Faro - Trasladan presos participaron en motín cárcel San Felipe
    not shot and killed.

BTW, 'rush' rushed to the assumption that all inmates are convicted robbers....
    This I strongly doubt.

m'frog

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rio2003 View Post
    Apparently not.
    I happened to drive one of the guards to the Fortaleza on the following day and she said that some shots were fired by the guards to calm the crowd down, but not aimed at anybody and that nobody had been injured.
    She said that it was about food at first, then conjugal visits and maybe one other thing that I can't remember.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainfrog View Post
    Maybe shot at but according to
    Puerto Plata Digital
    and
    Periodico El Faro - Trasladan presos participaron en motín cárcel San Felipe
    not shot and killed.

BTW, 'rush' rushed to the assumption that all inmates are convicted robbers....
    This I strongly doubt.

m'frog
    Thanks for that - I strongly doubt it as well. I do have a vested interest, my ex is in there and according to him it was nowhere near as dramatic or dangerous as some have made out and was dealt with swiftly and efficiently.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    She said that it was about food at first, then conjugal visits and maybe one other thing that I can't remember.
    The third thing was telephone privileges. I was told there were some injuries but how much that was as a result of prisoners setting fire to mattresses, wielding knives or anything else we'll probably never know. No-one was killed, I doubt very much if guards aimed at prisoners when they shot, I would imagine they aimed over their heads, probably well over their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Personally, I think we should all contribute to a fund ( say 1,000 peso's each) and give it to the local police everytime they shoot one of these robbers.
    And just how long would it be before a 'bounty' mentality took over? Underfunded police officer needs cash so pops out & shoots a baddie, or a presumed baddie. One of the reason the police do it now is that many of them are tee'd off with the judicial system letting many of these guys walk. But 'sponsored' licence to kill is starting down a very slippery slope IMHO.

Out of interest Human Rights Committee is talking about litigating against national Police Chief for the loss of life in police shootouts.
    Comisión de los Derechos Humanos someterá a la justicia al jefe de la Policía Nacional

And no, not all inmates are convicted prisoners. The backlog of cases pending is still large though not as bad as it was. I would guess that at least a third of those inmates are remand cases. At one time a few years back it was 60% remand 40% convicted.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

That prison guard I spoke to, mentioned a total of 5 shots, just fired in the air.
    She also mentioned the burning mattresses and anything else they could get their hands on and that the few injuries that occurred, had nothing to do with the gun shots.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think maybe the OP is talking abot the gangsters that was shot in Sosua by the police about 1 and a half week ago.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad boyz and girls

Vast majority of the folks in the prisons, especially the 'foreigners', in Santiago, Pto. Plata, etc, are in for drug-related charges. A sad lot, yearning to be free, now making friends with the rats and counting the ants for entertainment.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I think maybe the OP is talking abot the gangsters that was shot in Sosua by the police about 1 and a half week ago.
    There has been two recent incidents of would be robbers being shot. only injured, and one was hurt because he chose not to comply. The good cops are upset now because so many thieves are "walking" due to the interference of do gooders from outside this country, the assailants can now make complaints to the fiscal if they are mistreated in any way, or sufficient evidence to hold them, this in effect, is "tying the cops' hands". Thats tough on all of us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast