Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Bank Machines BIG PROBLEM BEWARE!!!

I just got shafted for 16000 pesos at Progresso Bank Sosua
    A friend of mine had the same thing happen at Reserva Bank.

The machine says your request is being processed but no money comes out and no reciept is offered. It asks you would you like to do another transaction?
    My buddy tried 3 times and 3 times he lost the money from his account but recieved nothing.

Knowing this I stopped after the 16000 pesos ($500.00) US
    When you go inside and complain they look disinterested and say you will have to call your bank to have them investigate. Your bank then sends you paper work to sign and you fax it back and it takes 3 weeks to a month to get the money back. Minust the $5.00 "service" charge which they keep.

Just another way to rip the GRINGOS off and collect interest on the money
    while you spend money on long distance calls and Faxes. I am told that POPULARE is the best Bank to avoid this but I recommend that you bring lots of ID and go in the Bank to get cash.

What really makes me grumpy is that they could care less about the inconvenience they cause you. After all we are just the "fish" is Sosua.
    Get used to it!!!

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

It happens to Dominicans and also those of us that live here. If it makes you feel better, it also happens in other parts of the country. Don't worry, your not being singled out, you just got some bad luck, it happens to all of us.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ATM's

Certainly does happen to us all - I have been done twice in the last five years trying to withdraw money from bank machines - once at Banco Popular in Playa Dorada, and like you, the staff couldn't have been less interested if they had tried!! But my UK bank did refund the money within 7 days and I have made countless other transactions without a hitch. Swings and roundabouts.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I never use cards for anything over here. There is also a lot of double billing that you may never even notice.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Got me in El Seybo

Not all that many tourists there, so it's just a combination of the "system" and your individual luck (or lack of it)
    Still better than shoveling snow LOL

Gerry

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I was also victim of a card scam back in November 2006 and they systematically took the equivalent of my limit of 300 per day until I discovered the discrepencies. My UK bank were great and replaced every penny with all forms sent and completed via email in a very short space of time - they even paid me back 10,000 pesos too much!! Coincidentally, the very same scam had happened that week at an ATM in my old home town in Devon, England so I cannot agree that it is only 'gringos' in DR that have this experience. I have continued to use my card at ATM's and am a DR resident so guess it was just an unlucky Sunday which could have happened anywhere.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Atms

The Problem Is That The Machine Can Only Give Out So Much At A Time Depending On The Machine And The Bills It Is Dispensing 10,000rd In 2000 Intervals Is Only 5 Bills
    10,000rd In 1000 Intervals Is Only 10 Bills But
    10,000rd In 500 Intervals Is 20 Bills
    So You Can See How This Might Be A Problem For That Cash To Fit Through That Small Opening So Dont Try To Take More Than 6 Or 7 Thousand At A Time If You Need More Do Another Transaction

Ps It Has Happened To Me Here In Dr And In The Us And Other Than Being A Pain I Have Always Gotten The Money Back Through My Bank

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Never put your card into a machine when the bank is not open - don't draw money after hours.
    If anything goes wrong go into the bank and insist that they fix it at that moment.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the difference in withdrawing money inside the bank (from a real person) as opposed to using a machine? Are the fees much higher?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happened to me in 2006...from the bank machine in front of Tropical...in POP..(think that's Progresso one?)...

Exact same results, the ppl at the bank were very uninterested in the situation, was told to contact my bank in Canada and have it dealt with. Of course the 1-800 #'s don't work from the DR. So had to call long distance, and was stuck on hold forever of course...But they did "investigate" and refund all the money to my account fairly quickly...

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast