Dominican Salami - Good or Bad?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
What do you think about Dominican salami - good or bad?

I have no doubts that some of the Jewish folks who emigrated here from Germany started making salamis here - didn't they start Induveca (or was that Miguel Maldonado's father???) What the heck happened since those days - THEY didn't make salami like this, did they?

Do visiting Germans today take one bite and gag, or do they like this stuff? And, having substituted much of the meat with trigo, what do they do now that the price of trigo has gone through the roof? To me , it tastes as good as a 5 cent hotdog in NYC, but without the flavor.

You cannot destroy the stuff, no matter how much the cook abuses it, it still survives to make it to the plate, and the majority of Dominicans eat it every day. (maybe its better to think that you actually can have "meat" every day, instead of just rice and beans, and platano.)

I personnally hate the stuff, and to call it salami just proves there is no truth in marketing laws here in the DR. Salami here makes SPAM look mighty inviting. Can Aunt Clara come up with a way to make this pseudo-meat tasty or inviting?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As someone who grew up eating spam unfortunately, I can tell you there is no comparision with that and a crispily cooked induveca salami accompanied by a mangu con cebolla. Granted it is not the most fina food around, but it ain't bad if done right.

Also, I don't think Induveca is kosher.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well my dogs love it, and a vegetarian Domincan friend of mine will eat salami as it is not meat

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
The so called Dominican salami that I buy here in the US must not actually be shipped from the DR even though all of the Dominicans I know swear it is because it tastes TOTALLY different from the salami that I eat in the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I challenge you to find a recipe on dominicancooking.com that includes salami! I swear that salami, which is eaten fried, has to be the leading cause of death in the DR.
Either that or motoconchos. :D

BTW, GC:
MVM's dad=Induveca
Sosua Jews=Productos Sosua (which were probably never kosher in the first place).

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
So I am correct in that even Aunt Clara cannot make Dominican salami edible, hehehe? And I thought it was my fault that I could not enjoy it con gusto. I still eat it when presented, (no audible grumbling) because after all "it was made with love".

It was probably never kosher because that would require meat to be present, right???

How many of you, if you walk to the frig right now, have a roll of this stuff in there? I do.

How about salami with spaghetti? Salami frito. Salami right out of the frig. Salami with queso. Salami sandwich. Salami meatloaf. Lasagna with salami. Boiled salami. Scrambled eggs and salami. Salami and onions. Salami and tomatos. Uh, that's about all I know for right now (Bubba Blue)

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
hehehe wow salami, yes I always wondered what they put in there to make so damn tasty...........but last time i was in the DR i could have sworn that the salami with yuca that i got for breakfast the first day i was there was the cause of my allergies a few hours later that lasted for a few days, so i promised my self not to eat salami when i return................i eat the one in the states, occasionally because i assume is passing whatever healthcodes we have here, i hope.

So does anyone know about the healthcodes in the DR, has anyone ever been to the factory? people always joke that is made from donkey meat, yuk.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I hate the salami here not just because its made from pork but because it sucks. I love the beef hard salami that I used to buy in USA. There is no such thing as pure beef salami sold in santiago. Oh, and the hotdogs suck here as well.
AZB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
... has anyone ever been to the factory? people always joke that is made from donkey meat, yuk.

Yes, I've seen them make this. I'd rather go to jail than eat it :laugh::laugh:
More seriously the manufacturing facility is great and very hygienic in its practices. I have nothing against those folks .. It is just that salami! I don't think it is food! It just pretends to be food. :laugh:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We have some land in Barahona where we will eventually move one day and farm. When discussing what type of animals we will have one day with husband, he said he wants cows and asked me whether I wanted beef cattle, dairy cattle or salami cows!!!!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
September, 7th

...Do visiting Germans today take one bite and gag, or do they like this stuff?

In Germany 'Salami' is a different thing altogether.
It's mainly referred to salami from Italy or Hungary which are supposed to be of lean meat and can be stored without refrigeration; it's relatively expensive and worth it.
Salami Day - September 7th

The Dominican 'salami' is greasy and of uncertain ingredients.
My wife likes it (but then she also likes 'pica pica' (?)) but I only give it to the dogs...

m'frog

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I challenge you to find a recipe on dominicancooking.com that includes salami! I swear that salami, which is eaten fried, has to be the leading cause of death in the DR.
Either that or motoconchos. :D

BTW, GC:
MVM's dad=Induveca
Sosua Jews=Productos Sosua (which were probably never kosher in the first place).

I agree...although any processed food could be a leading cause of death IMO!;)...and is likely more hazardous than a motoconcho lol

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Well my dogs love it, and a vegetarian Domincan friend of mine will eat salami as it is not meat

Two weeks ago, for the first time, I decided to buy salami. My mouth was already salivating for what I've always known salami to taste like. Since I hadn't had any in almost 2 years, I was more than eager to get it home, slice it up and fry it up. OMG!!! It's the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted! But, as Matilda said, my dog loves it so at least it won't go to waste, although I'll never buy it again. The funny thing is that this stuff makes Spam taste like roast beef!

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Bueh...pues dejenme mi salami ahi, que yo hago un escaveche y me lo como con un mangu o con una yuquita tierna, hervida.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ach, dominican salami.... grilling it to a crispy black flake - edible. anything else than that - horrible.
we discovered german butcher in sosua - our source of sausages. and when i went home i brought back about 10kg of food...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Dominican Salami,

..... and don't you just love it when your teeth crunches down on pieces of bone?

..... and also when you bite into a large hunk of white greasy fat!

Don SantiagoDR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dominican Salami,

..... and don't you just love it when your teeth crunches down on pieces of bone?

..... and also when you bite into a large hunk of white greasy fat!

Don SantiagoDR

Don't try another Dominican delicacy then - longaniza, hahaha!