Crime in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

SASDomRep

Apr 1, 2008
Spam. Removed. I have no problem advertisers responding to a post, but you are not allowed to start new threads spamming your buisness.

Last edited by a moderator:

SASDomRep

Apr 1, 2008
Im confused I thought you told me thats what I could do once Id paid for the advertising, obviously Ive misunderstood

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Cut and paste from the email I sent you on April 1.

"Being an active advertiser allows you the opportunity to "respond" to posts relating to your particular service or product on the message board".

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sure, I have no problem with that. You can refer them to your website if you want.

Just don't over board and use it as a reason to respond to every post and promote your link.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
SASDomRep, I have just gone over your classified ad and it looks like you have all the right stuff to secure homes, business and individuals. I would be interested in how it works. And I am interested in what we, as individuals, can do to stop crime in general? I know there is a lot of common sense involved, but there must be some general ideas as well. We all know dogs, gates, window bars, etc., but many of us have those things, and the crime continues.

What is your solution, besides having Capitan Contreras living in your guest bedroom? ;)

SASDomRep

Apr 1, 2008
I wish, hes quite a guy LOL , especially in his white dress uniform at special events- good cop I agree with you. In some of the properties I have gone out to offer advice the good people really think they are safe if they have dogs and grills, sadly this is not the case. One such property I went to that had just been robbed in Pro Cab (they seem to be getting hit a lot lately both day and night but never post on here) thought they were well protected, but unfortunately they had the wrong bars positionned incorrectly and the surrounding wall and wire they had had installed was not efficient by any means and so they were robbed. I pointed out to them the weaknesses and hope they will follow the advice. I remember once before on a thread someone suggested a neighbourhood watch scheme, this would be good but with trained guards, we are offering this service on a shared guard basis as I know many people cant afford their own private guard

Last edited:

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
So, is that something you do...analyze current security of a property? Do you do that consultation for free? Or is there a charge for that?

SASDomRep

Apr 1, 2008
No the consultations are free, but sadly a lot of people think it will never happen to them so dont do anything until its too late. The properties I have visited so far to advise on were all victims of robberies We can also install the correct grills and build secure walls with the right razor wire around a property

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Delinquencia

One of the things that would be useful is if the press would stop referring to what is happening as "delinquencia" which where I come from is sort of like stealing hub caps and putting graffitti up on walls and treat armed robbery as hard core crime. If guys with guns are breaking into homes and taking passports and credit cards in broad daylight, they are organized criminals, they have fences. This country is getting some of the best educated criminals the US has to offer, coming from our best univerisities, like Attica, every week. We need to get in touch with the drug dealers here, the Domincans who are selling and make a deal with them to not addict their own people with CRACK -- We need to educate the people here on the difference between marijuana - which is not addictive, and cocacaine, which is addicitive but in high demand in the US and Europe and CRACK with is INSANELY addictive and will mean the death of this island for tourism and everything else. REAlly for everyone. Just tranship the cocaine. Let the marijuana pass. AND STOP THE CRACK. IT IS THE CRACK THAT IS CAUSING THE CRIME,. ONCE THEY ARE CRACK ADDICTED THEY MUST HAVE IT

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Just my two pennies worth if anyone is interested. I am no expert but these are some of the things that have helped me over the years on my travels.

Keep the exterior well lit at night with secure lights that cant be tampered with from the ground level. Remember to put them on an emergency supply or back up.
Roller Shutters give good protection especially those that are fitted inside the windows.
Keep all valuables in a safe securely fastened to the wall or even sunken into the floor with a digital code and key system that way no-one can take the key and open on its own.
A tip I got in Ukraine was to weld a section of 4 inch pipe about 3 inches long over any padlocks this stops people using bolt cutters as they cant get the jaws in to reach them but you can still open easily.

Security cameras even dummy ones are good at deterring most criminals. Alarms are seldom responded to, but should, if fitted, be the loudest you can find. However have a care for the neigbours and make sure the system is maintained and not going off three times a day while you are out. Yes you can have an alarm even with dogs but get expert advice on the types of sensors available.

Dogs Big dogs in the plural are even better but never take them out for a walk together at the same time....as one of my friends found out this is was a no no. Also leave them inside the house not outside. Train them to only eat what you feed them on command to prevent poisoning attemps.

Spy hole in the door and a camera angled to give you a full length view connected to the Tv or viewing screen.

If you do have dogs it is worth trying to train them to bark on command as it is handy if you are ever concerned or worried about a situation.

I have never been robbed in nearly 20 years since I started to take precautions and think about security more seriously. It is always a good idea to get professional advice especially if its free.......lol so bite this guys hand off if you are living near him. see OP

Skippy1

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nice Skippy1. That issue about security lights that cannot be tampered with ... that one caught us once. ;) Make very sure that your backup electricity supply (inverter / generator) cannot be cut off. It is a very weird sense if your electricity goes out when it really should not, and you know with an absolute certainty there are burglars around.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Just thought....

Nice Skippy1. That issue about security lights that cannot be tampered with ... that one caught us once. ;) Make very sure that your backup electricity supply (inverter / generator) cannot be cut off. It is a very weird sense if your electricity goes out when it really should not, and you know with an absolute certainty there are burglars around.

Thanks Chris...I would also point out that that means batteries too if you have an inverter with the batteries outside make sure thay cant be cut or disconnected......even if you have a cage or something to stop the batteries being stolen take some time to look and make sure the cables cant be cut with wire or bolt cutters

Skippy1

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Some good information and questions.

I have used the "Neighborhood Watch" program in the U.S. and it worked well. The concept in the Sosua area that I live now, becomes more of what each individual persons wants or does not want with: "his house is bigger and he should pay more.... I have a live-in and don't need it.... never had a problem before...."

How would YOU put a program together and what if some do not wish to be involved? Please feel free to PM if you desire.

Will you be able to issue gun permits and sell guns/ammo?

Regards, Ringo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
One of the things that would be useful is if the press would stop referring to what is happening as "delinquencia" which where I come from is sort of like stealing hub caps and putting graffitti up on walls and treat armed robbery as hard core crime.
mountainannie - delincuencia in Spanish does mean full-blown, hard core crime. It is not the exact equivalent of delinquency in English, which means less serious/juvenile crime.
Although not quite a false cognate, there is a different nuance.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks so much for this

mountainannie - delincuencia in Spanish does mean full-blown, hard core crime. It is not the exact equivalent of delinquency in English, which means less serious/juvenile crime.
Although not quite a false cognate, there is a different nuance.

REALLY--- It has been bothering me terribly, There should be such an uproar about this...crime wave.. which is really killing some of the areas....

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
Very interesting to read all this advice on security. Maybe dr1 could set up a seperate forum for security. Just an idea.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
N0 - low places -

Do you have access to very high circles in this society?

mountainfrog

No - I just spend a lot of time talking with the guys who walk around from the CREA Hogar which is the only drug treatment program in the country and even they make no distinction between marijuana and cocaine and crack. It is simplistic and naive and completely ill informed.

Thirty years ago in LT,they had not seen a foreigner, now they are crack addicted, and their kids are prostitues, hello progress!

When I lived in LT, I went to Fundation Azucar and educated them about Crack and talked about the 5 -15 crack points in town and various Europeans who were dealing coke, and they called in the National Police and did a full sweep. I was after that greeted with death threats on my doorsteps, my house broken into on a daily basis, etc, etc, etc, although I knew that if they wanted to kill me they could do that at any time, but certainly the police were in the pay of the dealers. Most people I know there have been robbed. I can't live like that.

The country has to make a choice in development - either it wants crack in the streets or it wants foreigners in residence, it cannot have both. If the Dominican dealers - and it is the Dominican dealers, who are paying their runners in product rather than cash -- they do not need to do this... the big market is for cocaine in Europe and the STates. Let the product go to the US and the States - that is their problem

The problem for the DR is the crack., That is the problem for the DR. That should be the issue that the DR is dealing with. The security of its own people.

Status
Not open for further replies.